gq patrol front diff

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:18
ThreadID: 10574 Views:3133 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys, i am getting a 'wirring' type sound from the front diff of my 93 gq. quite loud when driving with the hubs locked and 4wd disengaged travelling at normal road speeds. can also be heard with the hubs disengaged but with the transfer case in 4wd. the car has done around 170ks, and changing the diff oil hasnt changed the noise at all, I havnt checked the transfer caseoil. any ideas??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:29

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:29
Dirt,
I have a spare diff after I had the locker fitted in my 92 GQ if you need one. Just as a small point you shouldn't be driving with the transfer case engaged and the hubs unlocked, not good for the hubs / bearings. As a guess sounds like bearings somewhere, difficult to diagnose without hearing the noise, is the noise worse with power on and when in overrun using the engine as a break? Sounds like the diff input shaft bearing you might check it for movement, as I say a guess.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 46929

Follow Up By: Dirt - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:48

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:48
thanks martyn, i only really notice the noise cruising along under power and the diff input shaft dosnt seem to have any play, or though there seems to be quite a large amount of backlash in the diff itself.
FollowupID: 308915

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:39

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:39
Have a look at the universal joints.

Wayne
AnswerID: 46932

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 19:00

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 19:00
Hi
Try driving the truck with the hubs in free-wheel and transfer in hi 2 in this mode the front diff and the front drive shaft should not be rotating.
I might suggest that you have a listen to the water pump bearings
Ray
AnswerID: 46937

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 23:41

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 23:41
Dirt, I had a similar wirring niose to this on my 1989 Maverick Ute. It drove me mad trying to find it. Even went as far as letting my son drive it while i sat on the bonnet/bull bar having a listen to it. Even hung off the bullbar upside down it was drving me that insane!! Eventually tracked it down to the driver's side (front) locking hub - but it could be either side or both that's causing the noise. If you remove the outer hub locking mechanism using a large Allen key and a gentle tapping with a hammer, you'll see the end of the drive shaft, a circlip and possibly the problem. The steel locating ring that prevents the front hub clutch from flopping all over the place could be problem. To have a very close look at the outer steel ring that fits against the aluminum hub, remove the circlip and take off the steel ring assembly, seperate the 2 halfs. The outer steel ring LOOKS as if it's part of the aluminuim hub, but it's not. It's a seperate outer steel ring. Check to see that there is adequate grease between the 2 running surfaces of the outer and inner rings. Mine had gone dry and was alternately grabbing and releasing itself very rapidly. At one stage it burnt out the outer ring bearing surface. Fitted a new one, greased it up and it grabbed again some time later. Stripped it down again (in the bush), smooth filed off all the rough bits and whacked another load of grease around the inside of the ring and forgot about it 'cos it went quiet fer the next 100,000 kms. Could be - have a look.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 46981

Sponsored Links