Cordless chainsaws

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 20:29
ThreadID: 105743 Views:2737 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone here used one, interested in how they perform in the real world.

Only to be used for firewood while camping.Not intetestered on petrol ones as car is diesel and don't want to have to lig around petrol as well. Have an invinverter in car to charge batteries.

Cheers in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mark I - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 20:53

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 20:53
If you are after a good one and have a few dollars to spend look at "Pellenc", they are available in Australia.
Mark
AnswerID: 524174

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 21:11

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 21:11
Actually Mogul , it was one of the new things a friend got for Xmas and I checked out , was going to write something about them so a quick note as I have to do a flying visit to Mt Skene(vic) to-morrow.

Basically they work and are expensive - the saws price is ok but then you find out that doesn't include the battery so you get that and then you have to get a charger and best with 2 batteries - I think my friends Oregon came to around $900 bucks but you can get away with $500-$600 for basic Sthil.

Most are 36v with lightweight lithium batteries.

Mind you if you have to cut up something discreetly then its money well spent as they really make a lot less noise.

I cut up about 20 100mm bits of firewood with one and I conclude its not quite as good as my baby sthil but they are real toys and do work.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524176

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 22:50

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 22:50
Interesting, Robin.

I borrowed a Ryobi battery chainsaw at Christmas time to trim the bottom end of a Christmas tree.

The chain was slow, more like a conveyor belt than what one might be used to with a petrol type.

It cut a 100mm-plus live pine tree trunk easily (I can do that with a bush saw) but I have severe reservations about it cutting hard, dry firewood of any decent size.

It was one of Ryobi's appliances out of their extensive catalogue of tools that use a common 18.xV battery pack.

And you're right about price, though Ryobi's was much less than your reported Oregon price. $99 for a saw w/o battery. About $150 for a twin battery pack and charger. Or a saw, two batteries and charger in a gift pack for $200.

Wife suggested one for Christmas but we decided not to. The bush saw works for me.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 805782

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 22:57

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 22:57
I've got a Ryobi with the bigger battery and it is effective enough. Nowhere near as good as a petrol, a lot slower making them not so dangerous but they eventually do get through. I've cut some decent size logs with mine. They hardly make any noise either so ok if you want to operate in stealth mode.
AnswerID: 524179

Reply By: racinrob - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 07:19

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 07:19
A friend of mine carries a battery powered Sabre or Reciprocating saw, cuts anything but big stuff, is quiet and unobtrusive, has replaceable blades and is worth consideration as an alternative.
Rob VKE237 sel 6678
AnswerID: 524187

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 07:54

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 07:54
I have had a little Black n Decker 18volt now for a few years, used it to trim my palms and it works great, comes with an 8" bar, picked it up from Bunnings for around $150. I only use it to cut wood up to 100mm thick and the battery lasts quite a while.

Cheers

Merv
AnswerID: 524190

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 08:03

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 08:03
We tried a 240v Makita chainsaw off an inverter which worked very well but you still have the mess of oil and chips plus awkward to pack unless disassembled.
A much better solution is to take a cordless reciprocating saw with a 12" bushsaw blade, cuts quickly and efficiently, makes no noise and is allowed anywhere. We use a Dewalt 18v one with lithium batteries and there is a 12v charger available if required, otherwise just use the 240v charger off an inverter.
AnswerID: 524192

Follow Up By: Doc - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 09:41

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 09:41
I agree with Peter on the recip saw. I've got both an 18V chainsaw & an 18V reciprocating saw - both Ryobi 1+, and I find the recip saw to be at least as good as the chainsaw on wood up to about 5" thick, with the added advantages of being smaller, needing no oil, and having a better battery life. The 18V chainsaw is really no more than a toy - I'm sure a 36V one would be a better option though. The reciprocating saw has the added advantage of being able to cut metal if required (with a different blade fitted of course).
FollowupID: 805787

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 14:03

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 14:03
I have the Ryobi 36v and was pleasantly surprised at its effectiveness.

Another posters comment about being slow ...more like a conveyor belt is quite right...but then again less speed more safety I guess....just takes longer

I have always had Sthil Power saws (and still do on the farm) but was looking for the no petrol/ oil option and the fact that the less you use them the less chance you have of them starting when you need it!...hence I decided to carry the little electric one permanently in the 'van.

As for its cutting ability well I was surprised on the hard timber out in the WA goldfields where the axe bounces off the mulga it still cut me enough firewood around the 100mm dia. slow yes but it cuts..it's quiet and it will run after months of non use....worse case scenario is you wait to charge the battery...

I view them as convenient for the odd use of maybe needing to prune your way into a campsite of over hanging branches.....smallish dia. firewood etc

I no longer carry my Stihl
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524217

Sponsored Links