12V pump and water filter installation

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:10
ThreadID: 105790 Views:6887 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello people,
I have a Jayco 14.4.4 Poptop expanda which has a hand pump when running off 12v,
I would like to install a 12v water pump and also water filter, but before I do so would like some suggestion on how to connect this up, (plumbing wise).
The complication here, is there are 2 water sources at any one given time, either tank or mains.
I am looking at the following filter
http://www.waterfiltersaustralia.com.au/Single_Undersink_Water_Filter.htm
and the following water pump
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Water-Pump-10Lpm-Self-Priming-Caravan-Camping-Boating-FAST-POST-WARRANTY-/221325080501?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338800b7b5&_uhb=1

And in order to not drill any holes on my kitchen benc I am going to replace the mixer tap. with the following
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Chrome-Brass-3-Way-Dual-Faucet-Kitchen-Mixer-Tap-Pure-Water-Filter-F189-/130645204325

Seems a lot for a DIY. :)

I do not think I will have a problem installing the water filter as this is straight forward.
The complication here is how to select the source of water to go to the drinking water, i.e either on Tank or mains, do I need a selector etc.
Here is what I was thinking excuse the crude drawing I know nothing about plumbing hence why I am here! :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Toby T1 - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:14

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:14
http://s26.postimg.org/66ogrkhzt/caravan.jpg
AnswerID: 524367

Reply By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:42

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:42
Afternoon Toby.
Firstly I couldn't see your drawing, but it is quiet simple.
I would rather see a Flowjet, Flowking or Johnson pump, with a pressure switch, more expensive, but are quality. $55 for a 10lt/min pump is very cheap, I would not expect it to be much chop or have a pressure switch, save money on your filter by installing an inline filter, something like an FSA, more than ample and a third of the cost of what you linked to.
Install a Y valve between your pump and tap, that's where your mains feed will connect to, your filter then can be placed between the Y valve and tap, all your water will be filtered, and all you have to do is flick the valve for what water your on. So tank feed into pump, then Y valve, mains feed into Y valve, filter, then tap. Also mount a simple switch for the pump, so if your main runs dry, you can isolate the pump and stop it from burning out, be sure to place an adequate fuse in the power feed to your pump. You do not need to waste money on that tap either, you already have a filter inline and your not running hot water are you ???.
Cheers Tony F8
AnswerID: 524369

Follow Up By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:47

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:47
Sorry Toby, just saw your diagram, are you running 3 taps in the jayco.
Cheers Tony F8
FollowupID: 805970

Follow Up By: Toby T1 - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 17:01

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 17:01
The 3rd tap would be the drinking water tap. You are correct, I am not running hot water and just checked, under the sink, both hoselets are connected to the mixer.
FollowupID: 805972

Follow Up By: Toby T1 - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 17:08

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 17:08
Also what is a FSA inline filter?
FollowupID: 805973

Follow Up By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 17:16

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 17:16
Toby, FSA is Filter Systems Australia, very good filters, different mediums for different usage and generally around 8000 ltrs before replacement.
Cheers Tony.
FollowupID: 805974

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:53

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:53
Hi Toby,

Here is a simple diagram I have drawn up showing correct method of installation.

Note that you do not connect the hand pump into this system. It is a stand alone setup as it has no valving to withstand the pressure from either the on board 12 volt pump or the mains pressure.

It is essential that you fit a pressure reduction valve at the inlet point of the mains feed to the van. This is to safe guard the pressure pump diaphragms from excessive mains pressure.

Control the incoming pressure back to a point about or just below the operating pressure of the 12 volt pump you choose.

Cheers, Bruce.

Hope this helps, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524442

Reply By: Brian 01 - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 13:38

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 13:38
If you have a simple hand pump at present, then just install an inline 12v pump before the hand pump. The water will flow through the outlet as if you were using the hand pump, the non return valve in the hand pump will double for the inline pump.
The hand pump handle may rise in the process of using the electric, but this is of no concern.
The easiest way to control the pump is with a momentary contact push button switch somewhere convenient to the tap. Water will flow whilst ever you keep the button depressed.
You can still use the hand pump to both fill things manually (good for controlled flow to fill ice trays etc) and to prime the electric pump if you happen to run out of water.
It is important that you don't allow these inline pumps to run dry.
AnswerID: 524444

Sponsored Links