4wd choice

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 23:40
ThreadID: 10580 Views:1782 Replies:12 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Just had an extensive test drive in a Range Rover. They certainly seem to me to be the best available in this style of vehicle. However, the Toyota vehicles seem to be very popular. Should I consider the Landcruiser or am I "on the money" with a Range Rover?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: basecamp15 - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 00:03

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 00:03
Is that a new Range Rover?
They are a very capable off road vehicle for their class and certainly have all the bells and whistles as you'd expect for around 140 grand. I personally don't see the need to purchase a vehicle for that much, I'd rather buy one for half that and kit it out with all the accessories you can think of. You'd have a better vehicle in the end I reckon. The top of the Range Vehicles in the 50 to 80 K mark are quite nice trim level wise these days.
Cheers, Mark.
PS check out the ST or even TI Patrol and compare them also.
AnswerID: 46985

Follow Up By: TrucksterNT - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:49

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:49
Thanks basecamp. Yes I'm looking to buy new. Not interested in kitting out any vehicle - after market add ons are often the cause of failures. If it costs me $140K so be it!
FollowupID: 308989

Reply By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 00:09

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 00:09
Truckster, it all depends what you want to do with the vehicle. After being a Landrover mechanic back in the UK and seeing what Landies are like here after my 30 years in "Oz". I see little difference between the Landy of the 60s and 70s and todays Landrover products. Not much progress has occurred, they still build on the same theme. They're OK as a European 4WD but my experience in the WA bush has been that they just don't cut the mustard. IMHO, there are only 2 serious contenders as a 4WD for Australian conditions - Nissans and Toyotas. If you want to cruise the bitumen looking good - buy a Range Rover. If you want to do some serious bush work - Nissan or Toyota.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 46986

Follow Up By: Goran - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 01:59

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 01:59
Amen.
FollowupID: 308970

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 07:54

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 07:54
Unmitigated drivel.Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 308979

Follow Up By: TrucksterNT - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:05

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:05
Bilbo Thanks for your response. As I see it the Range Rover has great suspension travel and this apart from other features sets it apart from vehicles that need suspension modification.
FollowupID: 308990

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:08

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:08
Hehbleep,
as soon as you said not much progress had occurred in 30 years I realised you were talking bleep e.Bob
FollowupID: 309007

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:09

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:09
Server doesn't like Dill DoeBob
FollowupID: 309008

Reply By: Poida4x4 - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 03:31

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 03:31
I disagree. I've just bought a Disco and it's absolutely superb offroad. When I was a kid we had an old '74 Rangie and that was great too, and they're such good value now. The Toyo's and Nissans are proven to be very good, they have a lot going for them. There are so many around and so many parts and accessories for them. But the Landrover ethos, the way they come from the factory makes for a better vehicle (I believe). Toyo's and Nissans NEED suspension mods straight out to be truly capable, Rangies are ready to go and with suspension mods, even better...
AnswerID: 46994

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 05:34

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 05:34
I smell a rat !
Truckster considering a Toyota

I DON"T THINK SO !!!Live the life you love -
Love the life you live !!!
AnswerID: 46996

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:08

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:08
Hey Coops, you did not read the name. It's not the REAL Truckster this is an NT one. Not sure what the distinction means.............Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
FollowupID: 308982

Follow Up By: TrucksterNT - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:46

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:46
I'm from The Northern Territory. JohnR. I'm sure a number of people call themselves Truckster (many fleet owners are known this way). Do I explain further?? Yes maybe I do .. if I lived in Victoria it wouldn't be unlikely to ad Vic. How does that make me not real???? Think a little outside the square!!!! or maybe block?
FollowupID: 308988

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:48

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:48
NT I am not trying to draw attention to you in particular, but I don't think others noticed you are not the Truckster we already know and appreciate. I was trying to illustrate to them that you are not the same one particularly when Truckster as destinct from you the NT one, seems particularly like a 4.2 diesel in a GQ or perhaps in the future a GU.

Guess we all know a Truckster here already but need to distinguish you from him. I wondewr if you may insert a hyphen between your membership Truckster and the NT bit to be Truckster-NT, just to emphasize a difference. Friend Truckster can be outspoken and I respect him for that. There are lots of johns too mind you. LOL

Mind you I had a Rangie too for +130k kms but have a GU diesel truck now for strength, reliability and getaround Oz capability. I wasn't going to comment on that so much, I reckoned that Rangie and Landy petrols are completely out of date in their designs building in low economy performance.Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
FollowupID: 309014

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:25

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:25
TrucksterNT
If you type in "truckster" on the search engine of this site you'll have some idea of what I meant.
We've had Truckster imposters before trying to upset people.
Welcome to this site. I'm sure you'll find everything that you need right here.Live the life you love -
Love the life you live !!!
FollowupID: 309097

Reply By: Barry F - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:55

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:55
IMHO the best vehicle is the vehicle thats suits your needs the best (ie) comfort,for passenger to as well as driver, luggage space, looks, gotter look good to, on and off road capability, power, fuel economy, price, sometimes you have to compromise certain things to get the right vehicle to suit your needs, i know boring concept but thats the way it is unless you can buy two 4x4s one for going to work and for going away, i know i didn't get the 4x4 i really wanted, but i'm not the only person that has to sit in the car for long trips!!
AnswerID: 47014

Follow Up By: TrucksterNT - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:13

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:13
Thanks Barry. The major considerations for me are Off road ability, comfort and looks. Price and economy are not really issues for me (Not boasting - but I can afford it)
FollowupID: 308991

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:38

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:38
TrucksterNT - if you can afford it and it meets your needs go for it. But I would have to disagree with the notion you put forward that the suspension travel on the new Rangie is better then a good aftermarket setup on the beam axels of a Nissan or Toyota. Also too much stuff to go wrong for my liking with the new rangie. But like others have said - horses for courses.
AnswerID: 47020

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:06

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:06
If only I had had enough money to maintain a Range Rover I would have bought one years ago. Having driven a few out bush and having been on trips where Range Rovers have excelled I only have praise for their offroad-ability. I can't speak for the later models but certainly up to the mid 90's the Range Rover has set the pace for offroad vehicles. Unfortunately they, as with with most Landrover products, have quirky habits which you have to come to terms with. If money was not a concern then I would buy the Range Rover before even considering a Nissan or a Toyota product ( the latter two, which by modern standards, and by guaging the numerous complaints on this forum about them, are not built very well these days).

Cheers,
Willem
Out on the Gibber
AnswerID: 47023

Reply By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:12

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:12
Personally I wouldn't go near it if offroad was the priority. I guess it depends on the type of offroad. Let's face it, 95% of what we all do could be done in a pretty basic 4wd machine. From all I've seen of the current rangie it's the best luxury 4b, but is no where near the cheaper machines aimed at actual off road travel.
(eg LC100, Patrol, Disco etc.). It's fancy smanchy suspension and traction control does a god job of making up for the lack of articulation though.

Of course, I had a budget of $13K for my truck so it's not like I've looked at it very hard.

If you really want to go anywhere, get a Defender.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 47024

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:29

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:29
Now here's a gentleman with a modicum of nous ..........;-DFidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 309000

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:16

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:16
I think your a bit biased Rosco :):)Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 309039

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:36

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:36
Hey, can't change the truth. When the stubby one sits at 4L you'll be hard pressed to find a stocker that will beat the ol' defender. (That pedigree certainly isn't in the current Rangie mind you).

Of course move the stubby and that equation shifts, especially once you hit 2H...

Cheers.
FollowupID: 309045

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:43

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:43
Bob

What can I say ................. ?

Jon

Couldn't agree more ... hit 4H ( note the differentiation ... ;-).. and one may as well enjoy a stubby. Goes nowhere in a hurry .... but one has to pay a price ... albeit small ..... IMHO.

Cheers ......... :o)))))))))))))))Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 309051

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:32

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:32
TrucksterNT,
Can't resist this one sorry, I've got a Rangie as my "bush hack", it's awesome offroad, goes anywhere, look at the results of the Outback Challenge. I don't know about driving a $100K+ vehicle down some of the bush tracks I've taken my bush hack, that's a choice thing. Oil leaks and the hate of water is something I live with, for a vehicle sub $8,000 it's great fun. The thing to watch I suppose is the depreciation of the vehicle, there was an article on this is a mag recently, the Rangie won this competition for all the wrong reasons, it was up there with the Musso, very high, unless you want to specifically buy new you could get a late model for a resonable cost and stick some fruit on it.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 47045

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:35

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:35
Martin I think the money the Smith family have spent on there rangie for the challange, would probably buy you a new Rangie , A very experienced driver with a ton of knowledge to boot. We cant compare our every day roadsters with a lift ect. to a Vehicle built for events.
Its like me saying Chevs are the best look at Victor Brays car ( burnout and quarter mile king of oz incase you didnt know ) Venus Bay
FollowupID: 309065

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:39

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:39
Eric,
Fair comment but if we are using extremes like "Rangies are not really up to it" I would put a bog standard L/C or Patrol up against a bog standard Rangie if you ignore the cost and look at all the other "stuff" anytime. I think they would be comparable, I would expect the Nissan to have the edge though...........lol
And yes I know of Mr Bray I've watched him several times at Ravesnwood, he drives a Rangie as well doesn't he, tad modified but....... Just a small thing I have a Y in my name not the I, hear from you soon no doubt..... Cheers Eric Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 309077

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:51

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:51
Sorry about the spelling ,please excuse me . If you met me you would understand lol I am the original wogboy lolVenus Bay
FollowupID: 309081

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:18

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:18
If you like it buy it. There pretty good now they have put the centre diff lock back in & you can get diesel in them all.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 47077

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:24

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:24
Truckster NT , this is my experience

In our off road crew we had , a Disco , a new Rangie ,Diffender , and your run of the mil Toyos and Nissans .

In normal off road conditions we find most vehicles almost equal , some will suffer in a area were others will exel and vise versa . Once we start the real hard stuff , its were the gap gets bigger .
Slippery climbs , usualu the Disco will exel with its factory diff lock , Mud baths we find the weight in the Nissan and patrol exel in these areas , The order of vehicles strugle is this , Mind you Im talking of mud holes almost to your bonnet, First to go is the Diffendor (sorry Roscco ) second is the Challander third Disco and Rang Rover . The Nissans and Toyos will make 9 out of 10 . In deep ruts and hard uneven terrain We find The Rang Rover to bottom out the most and struggle due to lack of wheel articulation . We found that with the air bag sistem it didnt alow as much travel as the riggid axle vehicles . In slipery disent , All autos mind you , we found the Rangie's gearing a little to tall and most out of contol in the disent , The dosco was the only Manuel vehicle , it did very well , most of the vehicles apart from the rangie were equal . Tyres did pay a small roll here .

If you want to talk comfort , the rangie won hands down ,

This our experience and I hoppe it helps ,

Please no bagging everyone , only our experience writen here , we all drive on diffrent terrain so its hard to make a good comparison , this what we experienced on trips together.
Venus Bay
AnswerID: 47097

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:25

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:25
Eric

You're a nasty person ... comments such as that cut me to the quick.

I was born at an early age and suffered much as a child ........:-{

You are certainly doing nought to help me in my adjustment phase.Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 309064

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:53

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:53
I think you will live bud . I did say a run of the mil defender , nothing like your superier machine lolVenus Bay
FollowupID: 309083

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:35

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:35
I don't mind Landrovers think that if in stock condition they will probaqbly get further than the equal Nissan & Toyo. I have seen it at bush fires where everyone rocked up and there was a fleet of vehicles- mainly Toyo & Nissan and one Defender. The last to be taken up was the Defender as it has no feature comforts - anyway the 2 girls got in it and then we all came to a difficult hill climb and everyone had trouble and had to have another go to get to the top, the girls rocked up and went straight up the bloody hill no problem to the amazement of all. But with corrugations and long use over rough roads - atlk to some gov't depts - talked to Rangers in Lawn Hill - they had them and said you can have them ! They had stories of the corrugations shaking them to bits with doors falling off and dash's coming adrift. From my use of fleet vehicles on corrugations and dirt I found the Toyo a better vehicle than the Nissans - they seem to hold together more. The Nissan's have a better turning circle and the Landrover Defender has a much better carrying capacity.
But if you want to take a $140 000 dollar car down a dirt track and destroy the paint work - you must be filthy rich, as I would be going $200 for that sratch and so on - just could not do it.
Lets face it everyone most 4WD will do it all now days - most trails are suitable for a CAT 1 tanker - you will not find many trails that require huge wheel articulation etcCheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 47263

Sponsored Links