The ongoing coleman fuel supply shortage issue...

Submitted: Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 20:44
ThreadID: 105810 Views:9770 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
G'day to those who know me from a while back n g'day to those who don't :)

So being an avid coleman dual fuel user... historically I've used a can of coleman in my northstar lantern and powerhouse stove from time to time, and used unleaded in between.
For some time now, coleman fuel has not been available anywhere in oz, unless you score some old stock somewhere, so been using unleaded for a while, a long while.... and long story short, the sooting is getting a bit bad and I need to change fuels.
I ran a bit of shellite, after reading from a coleman rep that its ok (and basically coleman fuel is shellite with anti corrosion inhibiters added, his words not mine) but a litre cost me $8 for the diggers stuff in Bunnings!! that's a bit much!!
Between my lantern and stove, scoffed that quick smart on a week long camp.. so..

I'm looking for a good supplier of shellite that's not ridiculously priced, so far I've found best deal at blackwoods, $105 for 20ltrs. Anyone better this?

Also I've 'heard' that using premium unleaded doesn't soot.. anyone confirm??

Interested in anyones experiences and constructive comments on what fuels they are running in coleman dual fuel devices.

Cheers ... :) :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 20:54

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 20:54
Evening Ron173,

have the same stove but gave away using shellite ( trade name from shell I think ) use white spirits much cheaper, burn just as well and can get it from most hardware and paint shops.
Hope this helps.
Harvey
DBN05
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524469

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:53

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:53
Thanks, must try some, but from stores round my way not a great saving over shellite from Bunnings anyway, must investigate other sources, thanks :)
FollowupID: 806103

Reply By: Tim Owen - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 20:57

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 20:57
I ran 5lt of shellite through my stove when new, but gave up due to ease of access to petrol and have been using premium unleaded since without issue. didn't notice any difference to shellite. Also use premium in lanterns. Haven't used regular unleaded to compare.
AnswerID: 524470

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:56

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:56
ok thanks, I'll try some premium unleaded, unleaded (basic 91) was ok for while but lately sooting up, and getting that flame in the orifice at front when shouldn't, cleaned all out and did the turning on and off of valve to clean, and on shellite was ok, just didn't want to go back to the old unleaded.
I never had this prob before when I used to run the odd tank of colemans, felt it cleaned it out.

cheers
FollowupID: 806104

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:01

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:01
G'day Ron,
I have used Coleman stoves for years & use any one of the following 3 fuels
Shellite, X55 solvent or Unleaded. I find a little automotive injector cleaner helps when using unleaded fuel.

Been a while since I used the X55 solvent but I think I paid around 60 bucks for a 20 litre drum last time I bought it.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 524472

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:58

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:58
interesting, where did you source the X55?

never thought on injector cleaner, sounds promising, I'll try some of that too .. :)

thanks
FollowupID: 806108

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:03

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:03
Mobil distributers used to sell it.
If you google it there are some places that supply cleaning products that sell X55 solvent in 20 litre drums.
FollowupID: 806111

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:56

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:56
Ron,
I use premium unleaded whenever I can in my coleman stove.
Unfortunately I cant buy such a luxury where I live so I run it on straight shellite or a blend of shellite and normal unleaded.
I might try the injector cleaner idea with the unleaded next.
Enjoy

AnswerID: 524477

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:01

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:01
ok so premium seems to be the go, I'll try some of that first in my search for alternative fuels..

Shellite is great, just become expensive, like 4-5X unleaded!
FollowupID: 806109

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:53

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:53
Here is the story, both coleman fuel and shellite are white spirit (additives...um ..maybee), sometimes refered to as dry cleaning fluid.

Dry cleaning has moved on a bit and they often use more sofisticated blends for cleaning clothes.

White spirit is basicly the clean white unadulterated solvent that is the basis for a number of solvents and fuels.

You can argue semantics but, white spirit forms the bulk of what we know as petrol, it is also the basis of mineral turps, and most paint thinners contain a large percentge of " hydrocarbon solvent"

If you are buying shellite you are paying for the rights to use the name....check the difference in price between Diggers brand white spirit and shellite on the shelf right next to it.
At one time shellite used to have a yellow dye in it to make it distinct from kerro that still is blue......not sure about now.

I don't have a fuel stove but I use white spirit for a number of purposes....it is an excelent cleaning solvent that evaporates leaving no residue...I use it for cleaning delicate mechanical items like fishing reels.
Used as a thinner in varnish it performs better than mineral turps, because the lack of the oily component tends to have less of a problem clouding the finish.

I can comment from experience but I expect white spirit would burn cleaner in stoves than petrol because, there will be no lubricants, detergents or other additives in it.

Now the problem with white spirit is getting it in big enough containers and getting a decent price.....for the quantity I need I still buy in litres....though it irks me.
It seems to be either retail packaged or in industrial volumes.

Apparantly some bunnings will get 4 litres in for you but you may have to buy a box of 4.
I have not found a line on 20 litre drums handy.
A friend of mine in melbourne buys it by the 44, but he manufactures wood work finishes.

make what you can from this info

cheers
AnswerID: 524481

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:55

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:55
correction due to inability to edit posts
I can't comment from experience but I expect white spirit would burn cleaner in stoves than petrol because, there will be no lubricants, detergents or other additives in it.

cheers
FollowupID: 806114

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 01:15

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 01:15
I bought 20 litres of Shellite or its equivalent at the local Caltex depot a couple of years ago for around $60. It's nearly finished so I will look into the white spirit or premium unleaded alternative and I may be able to buy in smaller amounts. At the time buying Coleman fuel or small amounts of Shellite was up to $7 a litre.
My plan was to take a few litres of Shellite and use unleaded fuel from servos if that ran out. So far I haven't had to use unleaded.
FollowupID: 806117

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 07:34

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 07:34
Shellite, white spirit etc. are just Naptha, which used to be available in bulk from paint suppliers. There was talk some years ago about banning it but I am unaware of whether that went ahead. Maybe an enquiry at your local paint store might yield results.
FollowupID: 806119

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 23:45

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 23:45
Naptha is a term that is understood differently in Australia than in the US, like a many chemical names.

Never heard of any move or reason to ban white spirit, it is one of the cleanest and safest hydrocarbon solvents available.

It is cleaner, less volotile, less poisonous and less environmentally damaging than plain ordinary petrol...and I don't see em banning that in a hurry.

If White spirit was to be banned it would be necessary to ban mineral turps and a range of other products.

Most paint shops in australia would not have a clue what white spirit is....I have tried a number of outlets including several trade paint outlets...all I got where blank looks.

I used to get a couple of US woodwork trade magazines....the use of variuos solvents in finish products seems to be reasonably commonly discussed and various basic solvents seem to be easily available.....but in australia the trade have no clue....its either water, mineral turps or "thinnners"

My local refinish suppies knew what it was, But could not access the product in quantity, unless I was buying a pallet of 20's or a 44..

Cheers
FollowupID: 806183

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 07:41

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 07:41
G'day Ron. In a previous life I worked for Coleman when they set up here in the late 70's and with the problem of shipping Coleman fuel from the USA we had to look for other alternatives. Shellite was the fuel of choice but Shell would not pack it under the Coleman brand. We ended up with BP and what they call Solvent 13. I just Googled it and it is still a product that they make.

Good luck.
Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 524489

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 07:58

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 07:58
Hi Ron
Shellite equivalent is available at Blackwoods and most cleaning chemical suppliers.
20 lt. drums $65.
And is still a long way cheaper than gas. I use both.
I have just replaced my coleman 415 powerhouse, it wore out after having a rough 30 years of cooking.
I also have a coleman sportster that will fit conveniently in the car boot.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524490

Reply By: Ron173 - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:28

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:28
Thanks for all the great info here, to summarise, as said above, Blackwoods do 20ltr shellite for $105,
however, thanks to info here and some digging, Mobil depot sell an equivelant, but its called R55, and comes in at a respectable $69/20ltr,(that's a local price, so may vary nationally) happy with that, that's $3.45/ltr which is far more reasonable than $8 for the brand named shellite.

Hope this helps others with a similar quest.

Again thanks to all.
AnswerID: 524493

Sponsored Links