Cooper ST or STT

Submitted: Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 17:01
ThreadID: 105848 Views:4271 Replies:14 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Need some new shoes for the car and after a successful 7 years/80000ks on my Cooper ATRs I was set on some STmax's but alas they are not made for r15 (15 inch rims) so I am left with the old and out of production ST's or I can go for the STT's.

I like that the ST will be better on road but don't like it has the weaker sidewall/won't be replacible. I like that the STT has the strong sidewall but am a little worried about road noise/beach use.

Any thoughts or suggestions about the above or on a tyre that is similar to the STMax will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter G20 - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 17:13

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 17:13
Hi there.
Like you we have ben a family of Cooper tyre users for years.
I have had three sets!!!
My son two!
But... I thought I would give the BF Goodrich's a go and have been very impressed by their Ats.
Their side wall seems more upright and protected by a band of rubber around the rim. The tread looks deeper too and they seem very quiet on the bitumen and give a comfy ride too.
I'm sure they have 15' size.
Maybe worth a quote.

Both excellent brands.
AnswerID: 524683

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 17:58

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 17:58
As I recall, Cooper suggest that while the STT is super aggressive in tread design, users can't expect great mileage (or words to that effect).
If BFG AT KO's are available in your preferred specs, I doubt you'll be disappointed - they have served me very well across a number of vehicles. Keep in mind though, as reported here and elsewhere, there are quite a few other makes and models of tyre that have served careful users just as well as the BFG's and the Coopers.
AnswerID: 524684

Reply By: patsproule - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 18:32

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 18:32
Another vote to BFG AT/KO. Had cooper ST and STT. Not going there again. Got sick of the lugs tearing off. On my third set of BFG's now and very happy.
AnswerID: 524686

Reply By: Member -Ted (Vic) - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 19:07

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 19:07
Hi

Had two set of Coopers, ST & STT's. Have a mate who loves them but with my bad experience of lugs falling off, never again. Had previous sets of BFG AT's and MT's got nearly 90000 out of the MT's. Now run BFG AT's and very happy.

Good luck with your purchase which ever you choose.
AnswerID: 524687

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 19:38

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 19:38
I am on my 5th or so set of BFG A/Ts over two Patrols and consistently get 90,000 to 100,000ks without too much looking after them. I run 40psi around town, front and rear and they wear evenly! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524692

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 19:53

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 19:53
I have had ATR, ST and now ATR3's. All towing and outback touring on dirt roads. The ATR3 have done 40k and still nearly half tread worn and LT construction with no chips. Loved the ST's but no STMax size for current challenger and stay legal.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524693

Reply By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 22:34

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 22:34
Well frenchman the STT are a bit noisier but I still got 110.000k out of mine on a courier 4x4, the only thing was that tyre pressure was important.
I ran mine at 32 psi.
Not knowing what they are going on makes it hard to recommend any tyre.
Bushy.
AnswerID: 524700

Reply By: bardenboy - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 22:44

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 22:44
Have a look at the new Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 31x10.5x15,
They are new in Australia, Just fitted a set on my 2008 Hilux.

Baja Radial ATZ P3
New level of all-terrain performance

50% Road & Sand, 50% Dirt & Mud

The new ATZP3 heralds a new breed of performance in an all-terrain tyre as it combines unique design elements, technology and engineering. With that combination this tyre crosses between being an all-terrain and mud terrain tyre to give you the grip and performance when you need it while retaining remarkable on-road traction and low noise characteristics to get you down the road in comfort.

All Baja Radial ATZP3 sizes feature PowerPly technology.

TYRE FEATURES

Bevelled Edges for reduced stone retention and improved cut-n-chip resisitance
Shoulder elements create a low optimised pitch sequence which reduces noise frequency, allowing for a quiet ride and even wear.
Wide Open Lateral and Offset Circumferential grooves, provide biting edges excellent off-road traction and self-cleaning while on-road clear water quickly.
Stone Ejector Ribs to help reduce stone retention and resist stone drilling.
Enhanced Buttress and Abrasion Resistant Rib design provide a rugged appearance and additional off-road traction as well as further protection against lig tearing.
Self-Cleaning, Alternation Should Scallops helo to provide additional off-road traction in soft or boggy conditions.
Carefully placed ultra-thin sipes help reduce stone retention and aide in cut-n-chip resistance maintaining all season performance for the life of the tread.

Happy Shopping
Dennis
AnswerID: 524701

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 23:02

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 23:02
Hi all. I replaced my Cooper ATRs with Cooper AT3 LT construction and they have been fantastic on two long trips from Tas to the Kimberley and the Cape and points between including the Simpson etc. Also matched rims and tyres on my TVan and wouldn't have anything else, but I know others swear by their preferred brands as well. In the long run though, I reckon it's really all down to pressures and driving style.
Cheers
Wildmax
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806472

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 23:04

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 23:04
Mate, I am currently running the Cooper AT3's which are Ok but I wouldn't go them again as i need something with a bit more bite.
The Cooper STTMax are a fantastic tyre, I have three mates who have them and they are a great tyre. A great tyre between the AT and Mud tyre but without the road noise, great grip and great allround rough stuff tyre.
I'll definately upgrade to the Cooper STMax for my next set.

Willl
AnswerID: 524702

Reply By: toj080 - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 23:27

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 23:27
I have had two sets of coopers on two different vehicles, on a well insulated car like a cruiser the stt's weren't too noisy.
but to hop on the recommend something else bandwagon i'm running goodyears, in the duratrac and mtr on my two 4bys at the moment and couldnt ask mor from either tyre.
AnswerID: 524703

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 06:57

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 06:57
I changed from the ST to the STTs about four years ago. That was after six very happy years withe STs. The STTs look good, aren't overly noisy, haven't lost a lug, no flats, and just won't wear out despite several trips in Western Deserts and a lot of hwy kms.

Bob
AnswerID: 524705

Reply By: Kerry W (WA) - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:05

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:05
Hi flyingfrenchman
Not sure exactly what your requirements are of what vehicle you are driving I can only offer the following info from my own experience to answer your question.
Having done an enormous amount of research and trialling of tyres over they years, the best compromise I can suggest would be the BFGs either, ATs as many others have suggested, or dare I say the newish MT KM2s seeing you are considering the STT. I know you may not need the more aggressive pattern but the new mix is good in the KM2.
There are a variety of 15" configurations. They are a much stronger and safer tyre than the old KM1. By far the best wet bitumen grip of all the MT tyres. (which is not exceptional but when it rains and you weigh in well over 2 tonnes the softer compound makes a difference) The Coopers were always a bit iffy in the wet due to that harder compound. Despite the softer compound in the KM2 you still should get 80,000+ useable klms out of them as long as you choose a good profile (ie just dont go too narrow) and do the usual maintenance ie rotate and choose correct pressures for the job at hand. The KM2s are quiet, grip very well on dry bitumen compared to other MTs and previous BFG MT's and .... obviously their offroad performance is exceptional. Unlike some other MTs they can be aired right down for sand (14 PSI and less) (Ill be a bit vague here re pressure in case "specifications" are exceeded but when you are really stuck in soft uphill sand you would be surprised how low you can take them ...and...how easily 4 little "caterpiller tracks" can keep you moving) They do have a flexible sidewall that will not easily roll the tyre off the rim. There are many misconceptions re sand driving and MTs all I can say is it is up to the driver and his nouse, but from my personal experience you have a definite advantage with this type of tyre on sand. They are much better on sharp rocks and wood stakes than previous incarnations. Having said that if you want a more wood stake resistant tyre then you have to stick to the hard compounds. As I first mentioned its all a compromise depending on what you want to do.

If you do a forum search on the KM2 you will get some more info.
I have added a link below which may be of interest.

Some other opinions on the KM2

hope this helps...
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524711

Reply By: flyingfrenchman - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 12:54

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 12:54
Thanks for all the replies and info guys. Lots to think about, I will have to start doing some research on the BFs. For those that asked it is for a Hilux. Out of interest I sent cooper an email and it seems the STmaxx will be coming out in 15s sometime this year for anyone else interested.
Cheers
AnswerID: 524740

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 21:40

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 21:40
I had the Cooper STs Without much effort ripped numerous lugs off

I tried these - Maxxis MT-753 Bravo

Can get them for a better price and now just going for my 3rd set. Never had a puncture to date, luck I guess :-)

Maxxis MT-753 Bravo

Well worth a go!

Regards Tony
FollowupID: 806671

Reply By: DrewT - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:56

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:56
Hi. I changed over from a mixture of old Cooper A/T's & ATR's (265/70/17) this week as i had one delaminate last week on one of those heatwave days. The 3 x A/T;s were about 10years old they told me! Reading around the various forums i narrowed my choices to:
For an AT type of tyre
- BFG All-Terrain T/A KO
- Cooper AT3 ($325 fitted)
For a slightly more aggressive off-road tyre
- Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 ($389 fitted)
- Cooper S/T Maax ($390 fitted)
The BFG's & Mickeys seem to get good reviews & all Coopers get a mixed review (you either love em or hate em apparently!!)
I've gone with the Cooper S/T Maax simply to give them a go .. & it was marginal whether to go with the Coopers or Mickeys (made in the same factory apparently & have very similar specs).
From one drive last night (max 80km/h) I did notice more road noise over the AT's but i also notice the tyre place pumped them up to 45psi so i reckon i'll drop that back to say 35psi for unloaded highway use .. maybe that will quieten them down a bit.
Anyway back on topic ... my take out from everything i read was that there didn't seem to be a standout 'must buy' 4WD tyre!
AnswerID: 524980

Sponsored Links