Is carrying jerry cans in vehicle legal?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:17
ThreadID: 10585 Views:11787 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I was advised that as far as insurance companies are concerned that by carrying full jerry cans in the vehicle was a big no no.I am sure we have all done it from time to time so be careful.I guess this means it is illegal to do so.Does anybody know the ruling on this?
mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:45

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:45
Are we talking petrol or diesel .I dont think its illegal to carry fuel in a jerry can inside a car but with petrol its just foolhardy.Even petrol carried in cans outside the car is not much better.The only safe way is a long range tank.
AnswerID: 47012

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:39

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:39
You must be a young one not to know the facts.

Jerry cans were designed during WW2 and they had to be of such robust construction so as to be dropped by parachute to troops waiting below. It could be said that jerries are made of lesser materials these days but they are still rated a a safe way to transport small amounts of fuel.

As far as I am aware there is no law stating that it is illegal to transport jerrycans full of fuel inside a vehicle.

As to safety....well, an item is as safe as you make it. I have carried jerries safely inside my vehicles for many years now. At prersent I carry 6 steel jerries inside my truck and I have a long range tank as well. With steel jerries you have to replace the rubber seals from time to time.
I was carrying two plastic jerries inside my truck but have gone away from that as I have detected a musty fuel smell when the vehicle has been closed up for a while. I replaced the plastic ones with steel ones and the smell has gone.

If you are a smoker and you smoke while driving and you have not maintained you jerry cans and there is a vapour leak then there would be a safety issue.

Cheers,

Willem
Out on the Gibber
FollowupID: 308992

Follow Up By: ross - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:29

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:29
I dont belive youth has anything to do with it Willem.Anyway Im old enough to remember the last of the military surplus(including jerry cans)hanging around salvage yards in the 60s.
Im also fully aware of the safety characteristics of the jerry can and its origins in WW2.
My opposition to petrol or gas bottles being carried in the passenger compartment is,that in the event of a serious collision,there is a real chance of the container being punctured.

FollowupID: 309122

Reply By: jackablue - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:23

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:23
Did you check post 9027.

Cheers

Jackablue
AnswerID: 47018

Reply By: jeff-wa - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:18

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:18
Yeah on a prevous post I belive most states were allowing 250L of petrol and unlimited Desiel to be carried in Jerry cans for personal use.
AnswerID: 47070

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:03

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:03
From the above it is obvious there is a danger in loading it in the vehicle and for any fumes escaping too. The previous post 9027indicated there was the Dangerous Goods Act to protect the consumer or the user. It looks above that some don't learn from the post 9027 though.

In any of the vehicles we drive there is the potential for a spark and the volatility of petrol is a danger in an enclosed space. I would have thought every bit as explosive as a gas cylinder contents. I though we were all aware of the dangers of inhaling the fumes too!

Glad the fellows above remember 9027Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 47076

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:20

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:20
LIFE is dangerous. Getting up out of bed in the morning is dangerous...you might slip on the carpet and bugger your cranium.

Live dangerously don't be a sissy or succumb to paranoia.!

Enjoy your day :-)

Cheers,Willem
Out on the Gibber
FollowupID: 309140

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:01

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:01
Willem, thanks for the advice;-)

I think if I contribute to my demise I may sort out the way I do it first. I have a few other things I actually enjoy in my life enough to prolong it if I can.

I prefer not to be negligent or seen that way in the rest of my life either... Yes, I have done some silly things and possibly continue to do them too if I enjoy it. LOL

Have seen the WHHOOOOFFFF with a petrol fire before, I reckon it may be heard too late for some, just like the malfitted gas tanks that reach the press.Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
FollowupID: 309156

Reply By: ianmc - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:31

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:31
There should be a mention here of the poor quality of some Chinese jerry cans if not all of em.
I had a few and had to ditch several after a short amount of not so rough useage as the cans both split on the centre of the X crimp on the sides so go for the best whether it be plastic or steel.
AnswerID: 47081

Reply By: ianmc - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:31

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:31
There should be a mention here of the poor quality of some Chinese jerry cans if not all of em.
I had a few and had to ditch several after a short amount of not so rough useage as the cans both split on the centre of the X crimp on the sides so go for the best whether it be plastic or steel.
AnswerID: 47082

Reply By: keith m - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:26

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:26
There are lots of things that are dangerous but not illegal. For what it's worth, I would not EVER carry fuel containers or gas bottles inside the truck. Do a search of the archives because this subject has been done to death many times before.
AnswerID: 47105

Reply By: Ferret - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 15:38

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 15:38
I drove over mine with a bobcat(whoops). It's fine now even if it does only hold 18.5 litres!
AnswerID: 47450

Sponsored Links