Bikes on vans

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 23:15
ThreadID: 105866 Views:2241 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I need some advice. I was recently told it was against the law to put your bikes on bike racks behind the caravan due to the fact you cannot see them or watch them . Is this true? Thanks Leone
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 00:04

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 00:04
I dont think that is entirely true.

There are a number of issues that may make a particular arrangement illegal.

But I have never heard that being unable to see or watch a load item was a consideration.

I have looked at quite a few arrangements and there are plenty that may be illegal on grounds such as.

Inadequate load restraint
Increasing the length of the vehicle beyond limits.
Obscuring tail lights or number plates.
Non compliant protrusion.

hell! push comes to shove...increasing mass beyond GVM...especially if it a bike of the motor variety.

But cant see em...no I don't think so.

cheers
AnswerID: 524763

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:12

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:12
Mind you - being able to see them would appear to be a good thing.

Saw one guy looking for a camp a bit late one day - had 2 bikes on the back of his Jayco somethingorother and every bump in the road the bike wheels were scrapping. Can only imagine what sort of damage he'd done!

But as Bantam said I doubt it is illegal to not be able to see them.
So long as the vehicle's number plate is visible I very much doubt you'll have any problems. Not sure how legal those home made ones attached to the bikes are???
FollowupID: 806631

Follow Up By: Member - kev.h - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 19:47

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 19:47
To be totally legal in Qld with a bike carrier on a car it must have a bike attached or if not it has to be removed
As for the number plate you have to buy a plate from the Transport dept home made ones are illegal
I would think the same rules would apply to a van except if it makes the van over length
I assume the illegal bit you asked about is with no bike attached
Kev
FollowupID: 806660

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 23:43

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 23:43
The published guidelines, you may see on the QLD transport web site are more aimed at bike carriers fitted to tow bars on the rear of pasenger vehicles...the idea and intent is pretty narrow.

When you start talking about trailers, caravans and motorhomes..AND you look at the source legeslation and regulations.

Things get a little less straight forward.

Lots of people attache things and effectivly extend their caravans and motorhomes with no concern for what they are doing.

I've seen plenty of caravans extended with permanent rear bumpers that carry all sorts of stuff
Beta ya the caravan has not been recomplianced at the new length.

I've know there are plenty of caravans that have quite a lot of stuff attached and accessories fitted post manufacture.....bet they have not been recomplinaced for tare weight...beta many of them are overloaded..some even with the cupbords empty.

Even on the simplest view, many of these bikes as carried simply do not represent adequate load restraint or proper safe carrage of a load.

IF a load no matter what it is, is properly carried and restrained, you should not have to "be able to see" or "watch" that load.
Proper loading procedues and periodic inspection should be sufficient.

cheers
FollowupID: 806688

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 23:47

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 23:47
You may also find that, these bike carries would otherwise be considered illegal....but the road authorities consent to allow them on a single case basis.

Like fishing rod holders.....they plainly do not comply with vehicle standards, but the road authorities consent to alow them to be used under conditions.

While I doubt that you would be in any trouble carrying a bike properly loaded on a vehicle tow bar....see how you go carrying a wheel barrow or a motormower there.

cheers
FollowupID: 806689

Reply By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 00:09

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 00:09
by who?
A copper or a campground nosy parker?
If it is only that you cannot watch them then put on of those stick reversing mirrors on your rear window?
AnswerID: 524833

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 22:26
I was told the same thing last year by Jayco. Still waiting to find out the accuracy
AnswerID: 524968

Reply By: pollie f - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 15:36

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 15:36
is this so? why? i can some doing it...
AnswerID: 524990

Sponsored Links