Noco Genius Battery Chargers

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 14:02
ThreadID: 105909 Views:5668 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Has anyone any knowledge of the above brand charger.

I am after a mains powered unit of around 7 amps and up to top up deep cycle batteries whilst stopped for a couple of days and came across this brand which is American and sold in Australia by Bairnsdale.

It has some pretty good reviews in the US and seems to compare favorably to similar CTEK's

Here is a link
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENIUS-SMART-BATTERY-CHARGER-12V-24V-CAR-TRUCK-CARAVAN-AGM-DEEP-CYCLE-SLA-G7200-/300921775569?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item461055e5d1

I do think they are a bit on the expensive side given you can get a larger CTEK for not much more however its various recovery functions has me interested where it will supply up to 16.5volts to sulfated batteries.

Interested to hear any thoughts .

Peter

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 15:01

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 15:01
It seems to be very similar to other "smart" chargers in the same class.

Most have some sort of desulphation function, most will have some sort of higher voltage setting to overcome charge resistance in calcium batteries.

Don't be fooled into thinking that any of these "smart chargers" do any sort of serious battery analisis or that they are in fact particularly smart.

Yes they may contain some sort of "computer" but it will be nothing more than a dumb little micro, and this "diagnostic phase", it will be little more than doing a couple of voltage comparisons with a look up table.

The marketing department have done a real good job on this one.

But I think if you compare with other similar items, on a feature by feature basis, you will find it pretty much par for the course.

cheers
AnswerID: 524934

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 16:25

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 16:25
Has a couple of extra features over the Ctek but not sure how often you would use them. It's around double the price of the Ctek 5 Amp Version, personally I use Ctek and would investigate the Noco if there was a compelling reason. As for the recovery function you would need an expert opinion. Batteries have a life span which you can maximise with good management such as a smart charger.

Ctek 5 Amp Charger $77
AnswerID: 524939

Sponsored Links