78 Series Troopy with clunking noise

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 16:26
ThreadID: 105962 Views:2248 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

After a piece of advice as to what I have broken in the Troopy. Went to the greens tip yesterday and to get the last branches out of the trailer, I took off quickly a'la what you see people doing at boat ramps to remove a boat off a trailer.

There was a clunking/grinding noise which sounds as if it is coming from the transfer case/ gearbox area. You can drive for a 100 meters or so slowly with no noise and then it starts again. The RAC don't know if it is the transfer case or diff and when it was towed to the mechanic's place (he is on holiday until Tuesday) I found that driving it up a small incline, the grinding was there again as if cog teeth were mismatched or slipping against each other.

I know that I will find out on Tuesday what it is but not knowing is bugging me and I can't work out why it will drive for a short distance without the noise.

It is a RV Troopy with factory turbo and tows a trailer (1.5T) three or four days a week.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 16:53

Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 16:53
hmmm
my first thought was gearbox as the non turbo versions are quite weak but the factory turbos are a pretty decent unit

the rear diffs are strong and never heard of one going, same as the transfers in them

so not much help

the heavy towing might have shortened somethings life maybe
AnswerID: 525168

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 17:52

Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 17:52
If it is happening periodically then it may be, the sudden jet like take off to leave the trailer behind, has moved the engine and gearbox on its mounts slightly, particularly if one is loose or a bit worn out.

That may be pushing the 4wd lever against the boot folds in the stick opening in the tunnel and it is sometime trying to engage 4wd, hence the grinding, clunking sound.
May be just on the verge of touching but not always.

Any physical mechanical problem would usually be repetitive and short spaced in time, not a 100 metre distance.
AnswerID: 525169

Reply By: JohnnyC - Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 17:56

Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 17:56
Hi Mark,
Have a look at the universals on the rear driveshaft, I bet one of them have collapsed bearings.
They need plenty of grease, especially if you go in water, or they will dry up and the needle bearings crack up, if it happened when you dropped the clutch even more reason to suspect a universal.
If that's it they are not hard to change, you can get a new kit at any bearing place and only cost a few dollars.
AnswerID: 525170

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 02:31

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 02:31
Sorry I can't help with the clunking problem problem unless you had it in 4WD and cracked one of the front cv's. Next time you launch your boat try stopping about 1 or 2 mts short then remove you winch cable etc then reverse back and stab the brakes not to harshly then drive forward. It helps release the boat from the rollers it's better the putting strain on your drive line by taking off quickly and cheaper to as you may unfortunately found out. I use to do this with my previous 2 boats 5mtr & 5.5mtr if I couldn't push them off and I always used low range.
AnswerID: 525187

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:29

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:29
If ya boat trailer is properly set up and the rollers are properly lubricated none of this sort of violent behaviour should be necessary.

Those sorts of launch methods are very likley to result in some sort of dammage.

The boat should just slide off the trailer slick as snot off a door knob.

on this ocasion the OP was at the dump...again violent methods are very likley to cause damage......hmm

cheers
FollowupID: 807066

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:42

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:42
I reckon snot would stick on a door knob, the usual viscosity and tackiness considered of course.
FollowupID: 807067

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 03:04

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 03:04
I must have missed something was it me that posted violent was to get a boat of a trailer I'm confused.
FollowupID: 807136

Reply By: Mark O4 - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 22:35

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 22:35
Evening, Thanks to all that replied to the post,it was the input gear and shaft in the Transfer Case. My mechanic suggested having a look at the clutch as well and as it turns out that was 70% worn so a new clutch kit was installed also. The total bill was $2,800 and whilst not cheap, I considered it a fair price for what was done.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 525536

Sponsored Links