Trip to cape york

trying to plan a trip to cape York this year will be leaving vic in April what is the earliest we could leave Cooktown.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 14:10

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 14:10
Depends on The Wet! It can be all gone by then, or the place could still be saturated, roads washed out etc.
AnswerID: 525209

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 14:55

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 14:55
Generally speaking late May. And as suggested depends how late the wet goes.

Living in Cairns as I did in the 70's the roads were still wet and a bit boggy the end of May and the creek crossing all had plenty of water in them. The best time actually.

AnswerID: 525213

Reply By: Tony F8 - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 16:02

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 16:02
Afternoon Geoff.
As just stated, it all depends on the wet this year, we were up in mid May last year and for example, Bathurst Bay was closed till mid June from memory. It's one of the things mother nature will throw up, if its late this year, June would be a better prospect, particularly if you haven't been before. I think it was "87" when we camped for 3 days waiting for the Wenlock to drop enough to get across. Even now with the bridge it will get cut off in a decent wet, the sign in the tree on the south side is testament to that. If you have some flexibility with your trip timing, keep an eye on the weather and use it if you can. The RACQ has a fairly decent page on road closures and expected opening times if you go to their site.
Drive safe.
Tony F8
AnswerID: 525221

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 17:32

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 17:32
people were driving from Cairns to Weipa 2 days ago ............ BUT ..... the impending CYCLONE (low) forecast to head towards Townsville will change everything, it may start the wet up here and who know when it will finish ......
It is pouring here in Mapoon right now and looks like it will set in for a few days so this could only be the "start" ......
Nobody could answer that question really until the week before you leave, all part of the "fun" in planning a remote trip, have a backup and if all goes pear shaped then have fun anyway eh
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 525227

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 19:59

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 19:59
Hi Joe n Mel n Kids
What are you guys doing at Mapoon?I read some where your running the general store.I did not think the population was big enough to make that profitable.I will be up there in June i look forward to seeing you.
Bye Stuart and Gunny
FollowupID: 807123

Reply By: Bludge - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 18:30

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 18:30
Geoff,

The generally "accepted" time to travel is May to November, locals can get permits to travel outside these times but there is a lot of paperwork that goes with this.
The wet has just started to bite and there is currently a cyclone forming although it is forming out at sea and expected to cross the mainlane around Townsville, 360km south of Cairns. The tip tends to get is wet from Carpinteria. The road gets cut often just north of Laura and depending on the wet, and often in other locations and if caught, just make sure you have the time and provisions to sit it out. Don't try and be the first up the OLT (straight after the wet) if you have little experience or travling alone. All the creeks will be flowing and the entry and exits will be an unknown, many crossing change considerably.
AnswerID: 525229

Sponsored Links