CSR - Re-timbering up an old well

Submitted: Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 14:18
ThreadID: 105972 Views:2318 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one out there help with advice / sugestions on retimbering an old well with new timbers .the well has 11timber to water Need advice on how to remove old timber an replace new with minimum fuss

Aimee
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:39

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:39
Hi aimee,
You might want to try looking up Track Care WA as they do repairs to wells.
Helping hands: Track Care WA volunteers take a break while restoring Well 26 over two and a half days.http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/110813/robson_group_174cpj6-174cpjb.jpg
http://l.yimg.com/fv/xp/wan/20110813/23/3064077944.jpg

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 525260

Reply By: MactrolPod - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 19:40

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 19:40
I would think there is some sort of approval process to work on a well. Finding the right people to contact is important.
We were out there last winter and heard that no well was to be touched as far as refurbishing as they are heritage listed, but that was just camp fire talk.
One thing for sure those that have responsibility for the stock route would not like people working on the wells without permission of all the interested parties, imagine the damage that could be done by someone with the best of intentions but lacking the skills or time to do the job properly.
Good luck on your quest, please tell us more about yourself and your plans.
AnswerID: 525292

Follow Up By: aimee - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 23:01

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 23:01
Hi to Andys adventure and Mactrolpod
Thank you for your comments and totaly agree with the getting approval to work on the wells on the C.S.R. My story is, I have been involved with Track Care for the last 14 years, and travelled the C.S.R. approx. 30 odd times doing work and working closely with the Traditional Owners. The toilets that you see out there was my design and it has taken many years to perfect them. The program this year is to put a new top on Well 3, completely re-timber Well 12 and hopefully to re-top Well 18, with plastic look alike sleepers. This work will be done by Track Care and the T.O.'s. The reason for my original question (re-timbering Well), I was hoping that someone out there may have an "easy" and "great" way of doing it. Hope someone can give me some hot tips on re-timbering Wells.
Aimee
FollowupID: 807221

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 05:51

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 05:51
Please don't use plastic 'look alike timber'. It doesn't look like timber and will cheapen the wells. They are great for dysneyland but not for a restoration project please. Anything that deviates from the original construction methods and materials takes away from these important pieces of history. It woudl be better to leave them as is than put plastic in them.

FollowupID: 807239

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 06:30

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 06:30
Cheers aimee,
With all your experience and contacts you are sounding like a person to get this job done.
I admit the wells restored to be "original" are more appealing and just plain look right.
Well 5 was a bit of a shock to me. The restore is done so it will last without a doubt but does look like a kids play ground at the park.
In a plastic world it is nice to see real timber, like Boobook said it would be a shame to see fake timber shoring the wells, it would last longer or until the next fire then molten plastic in the well etc... mmm I'm not so sure.
Whatever you do, all the best with your project.
FollowupID: 807319

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 08:23

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 08:23
Maybe use Cypress, termites hate it & it is very long lasting in the ground.
FollowupID: 807322

Sponsored Links