4WD Transport Broome - Perth 2014

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 16:59
ThreadID: 106000 Views:4245 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Updates... the glory days of backloading for a decent dollar are long gone...
Oil Transportation Services - Broome are leaving inflation in the dust (from $500 in 2009 to $600 in 2011) to $1100 in 2014 backload fee (cash only and no insurance).
Northline - no longer transport vehicles
Broome Freightlines - no longer transport vehicles
OnTraq - gone

Major car carriers - yes but expensive and cars have to be empty
West Coast, Patricks,

Best bets for 2014 - Private Contractors
Derby Stock Supplies
G & V Roberts Transport
Steve Grahame Transport (the Godfather of Outback Truckin')

Wildling from the North

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 19:05

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 19:05
Last September used Derby Stock Supplies to organise backload of Land Rover[broken rear axle housing]to Perth, using Roberts Transport,cost $1100.Good people to deal with,luckily I had increased coverage on RAC roadside assist.
AnswerID: 525334

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 21:26

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 21:26
I presume those transport companies view the increase to $1100 as a decent dollar.
AnswerID: 525343

Reply By: Member - Burnt Damper - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 22:28

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 22:28
Back loading is one of the biggest swear words in the transport I have ever heard in 36years in the industry.
Have a think about this, does a bank manager give you a cheaper loan on a Tuesday, does a baker sell there Pies cheaper on a Thursday, does a mechanic come in on a Sunday and charge the same rate. You know what the answer is. So why should a transport company charge some cheap rate just to help you out.
I have never seen a truck back from Broome to Perth yet, so the word backload should not exist. It is a forward load and all companies should be able to charge what they think is a fair rate.
I was up at the Cape in 2011, fuel at Siesia was $2.37 fuel on Thursday Island was $2.27 that's the way it is, you take it or you don't use it.
Sorry old mate but that is just the way I and many in the industry feel.thats called competition
AnswerID: 525350

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 23:21

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 23:21
Yep totally agree.
The first priority of any business is to make a profit.
We live in a democratic society – if you don’t like the deal take your business elsewhere.
FollowupID: 807314

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 00:07

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 00:07
Maybe have a little think about what the backload was there for.
Rather than have a truck run back to Perth, or any other capital or major town where they would have their main depot, empty, a backload was to at least cover the fuel and drivers wages. If you can turn a profit fair enough. Otherwise wear the cost of running the truck empty.
Know why the fuel costs what it does in remote areas?
Because some trucking company carted it there, paid their costs and hopefully earned a quid. So what the hell does that have to do with trying to cover costs of running an empty rig?

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 807316

Follow Up By: Member - Burnt Damper - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 06:13

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 06:13
Sorry Pop have heard this argument so many times, and seen a lot of transport companies go broke.
Still the same story, does the pie man sell his pies for a dollar each at the end of a day? Some do some don't. Some go broke, some survive.
Cheers
FollowupID: 807318

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 10:00

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 10:00
I have never been in the transport industry, but would have thought that if a price is given based on taking goods one way, that price would cover the cost of returning to the start point.
Gaining some money with a paid backload sound like a bonus as long as the load generates little extra cost in fuel or loading/unloading time.
Charging full rates for a one way delivery including return to base, and then charging full rates for same return trip could look like double dipping.
The cheaper pies on Tuesday doesn't seem to apply unless a Monday pie was consumed and regurgitated, and the baker sold the thrown up pie the next day. At that rate, as the meat and pastry was already paid for and cooked once, I would expect the thrown up pie to be a bit cheaper.
As far as trucking companies going broke, it may be more related to under quoting the work or underestimating the costs, and perhaps a moderately priced backload may be better than returning empty by trying to charge too much and missing out.
It must be a bastard to have a vehicle trucked back from a trip because of breakdown or damage but the options are very limited, so having to pay whatever transport companies can generate based on competition is something we are stuck with unless the government sets up a remote vehicle recovery system through tourism. We float the navy out thousands of kilometres to rescue idiot sailors, so sending a big military chopper out to airlift vehicles could be good training, and a boon for tourism.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807328

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:38

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:38
Quote - "So why should a transport company charge some cheap rate just to help you out."

In areas where back loading rates apply it's the other way around. You are doing them a favour. You are giving then a bit of income when they would otherwise be running light or empty.

This is a common industry operating method. Look at airline fares to Europe in the European winter. They are the back-loading rates when the predominate traffic is the northerners coming for our summer.

If the Broome dispatchers are not offering back loading rates it probably means that not many of their trucks are returning empty. The empty ones will be the ones delivering portable buildings to the mine sites. However you will have to find when they are making deliveries and take your vehicle to them at their delivery sites.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807335

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:42

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:42
Yeah 100% right, A load is a load no such thing as a Back load.
I can never understand why you get more to run from Syd to Bris but less from Bris to Syd , Same distance same fuel used but less money.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 807336

Sponsored Links