Car SAT NAV Navigation

hi just wondering has any one bought one of ebay I have just had a look and the prices of Car SAT NAV Navigation are unreal .

I would now use one that much I go to Adelaide once or twice a year and most of the places I go out of Broken Hill I sort of know but it would be nice to have one for that time i do get lost.

so any tip or help things like map up dates some say free update is that genuine

thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dingojim - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 18:03

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 18:03
Hi allein m, you don't specify which one you are looking at on Ebay so cannot comment except to say that when I was looking to purchase one I looked at numerous on Ebay and decided that, while some of them may be OK, many lacked sufficient detail/specs. I think it is a case of being extremely wary. A major consideration with these devices is warranty i.e. do they provide an Australian address for servicing. Also many of them have no provision for updating maps and/or info which is fairly important IMO. I did have a look at a couple of Ebay cheapies that mates had purchased and while one had reasonable graphics and menu the other was just a junk toy. It really comes down to what you can ( or can't ) afford and how serious you are. Most of the posters on this forum seem to have 'name' units such as Tomtom, Garmin, Navman and the ExploreOz apps and programs. Others will post after me and may give you more detailed info. Good luck. Cheerrs.
AnswerID: 525595

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 18:17

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 18:17
Allein

Are you looking at in-dash systems or stick on the windscreen type?

I have no experience of the in-dash type, but friends who do are totally frustrated by them because they have to stop to make any changes. Yep, not even the passenger can do anything. Manufacturers say it's for safety, but my cynical side says it's more to do with legal liability in case of distraction.

On to discrete small devices you hang off the windscreen - To tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of dedicated satnav devices like Tom Tom and others. They are expensive and looking at friends' devices there are plenty of holes in Aus map coverage, as in roads and tracks missing from the database.

I use CoPilot Live in my Android smartphone and tablet (only one licence required, bought from Playstore, $35 or so) and recommend it without hesitation. Best coverage of roads, minor roads and even tracks like firetrails. Yes, like them all it has a few quirks, but it has the road coverage that many of the others lack. Updates are pretty frequent and free. There is a map error reporting system if you're interested. They use Navteq maps, which I think are better than the oft-used Whereis.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525596

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 18:21

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 18:21
Should have added that for serious off-road navigation requiring topographical info as distinct from turn-by-turn instructions I use Oziexplorerfor Android on the tablet with a big suite of maps. Fabulous.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 807500

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 20:50

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 20:50
We also use Oziexplorer but on a smaller screen installed in the dash. I prefer the smaller les cluttered screen than a page of terrain that coul dbe 50Kms down the road. 5Kms ahead when your in the high and close Victorian alps suits me as a driver.

I don't use anything for highway or bitumen use.

Phil
FollowupID: 807505

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 18:50

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 18:50
yes sorry I was looking at some of the ones you do put onto the dash

so for example Broken Hill to Tibooburra area and beyond what sort of quality map do they provided

I have not looked at a specific one as yet I have no idea what to look for

On to discrete small devices you hang off the windscreen - To tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of dedicated satnav devices like Tom Tom and others. They are expensive and looking at friends' devices there are plenty of holes in Aus map coverage, as in roads and tracks missing from the database.

that is what I am worried about getting out there and the map has little or no coverage of the area

my wife and I often just head out of town Broken Hill and do some photography so quite often just head down different tracks sort of thing

AnswerID: 525598

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 20:36

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 20:36
Allein,

You need something that leaves a breadcrumb trail so you can backtrack. Oziexplorer (Windows and Android) does that, as would other products like Mudmap (Apple, iPad, etc) and the like, I'm sure.

A breadcrumb trail will allow you to backtrack, even if there is no marked road - just turn around follow the marked route out - it's a line on the map created by the program and serves as a "home-made road". I've used it a number of times; very handy when you take branch after branch of a track on the way in. Very hard to remember the reverse on the way out.

Sounds to me like you need Ozi or similar on a device of your choosing.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 807503

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 10:06

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 10:06
Hi Allein and all. If I read you correctly you need something which will prevent you getting 'bushed' when you go off exploring down side tracks. We have a habit of ducking down side tracks, and side tracks off side tracks, when we are exploring a new area. We have a Garmin E Trek which is ideal for this situation enabling us to either follow our original track out or at least knowing where we are relative to our start point. At about $120 not a big investment and can save some very embarrassing situations ( read getting lost ). There are some fairly sophisticated handheld devices available but the one we have does the job. Cheers.
FollowupID: 807545

Reply By: jacent - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 19:07

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 19:07
Hi mate I'm currently looking at an in dash unit from vms which is plug n play for $995 at the moment, does absolutely everything u could want, I'm going to order a reverse camera with it as you can hook one to your car and one to the van rear too
AnswerID: 525599

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 00:19

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 00:19
Jacent

I bought a VMS in dash unit. I think you did a typo as the price is $1,995. Extra for the reversing camera. I am extremely disappointed with it. The after sales support with problems I have had has been woeful.

You can have oziexplorer if you pay the licence fee. The mini SD card they supply with the unit is so small that you can't fit any maps on to use. I had to pay have a larger card supplied so I could use oziexplorer. You can just buy your own card as the unit will only work with a card encrypted by VMS. Therefore I got ripped off with an exorbitant price for the new card.

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 807524

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 12:53

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 12:53
We recently got a replacement box under an insurance claim (bent the car a bit) and I belive that it cost the insurance company not too much more than the $1K mark.

Point to remember if people go for a cheapo unit. Our son got a chinese one off ebay and he can't even listen to the radio when Ozi is running. He thought that was okay until he heard the walkman playing through our VMS box when we had Ozi running. Watch what you get as a cheaper alternative. You usually get what you paid for.

Phil
FollowupID: 807570

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 13:37

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 13:37
PJR

I had a look on the VMS site. They now have two in-dash models. The 7500 which I purchased is $1,995 and the 500 which is $995.

I didn't go into the specs to see what the difference is between in two in terms of performance, etc.

The chinese units on ebay are about $1,000 so it looks like VMS has put out a cheaper model to compete.

FollowupID: 807575

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:55

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:55
We have the 7500 as well. A big jump from the 3000. Much better menu system and setups.

The only issue I had was that it would reboot when starting the motor. I would load a track or route file to follow and when it rebooted I would have to do it again. A real pain when you stop and turn the motor off. So I rewired the "accessory" power input to pick up a continuous input from the second battery and added diodes to make sure no cross connect between the batteries occurred and screwed the car's wiring or computer. All good and no reboot and no annoying pause to reload the route and track file to follow.

Phil
FollowupID: 807580

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 18:12

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 18:12
PJR

Mine does that and I like your solution.

Mine keeps coming up with a system file error. The only way to get it working again is to turn off the motor and restart the car. The installers and VMS are hopeless and I haven't been able to get it fixed.

The VMS agents who installed it are over 300 kms from where I live so it is an expensive exercise to take it back to them for no result.

FollowupID: 807600

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 19:45

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 19:45
The solution may be as simple as mine. I had split the standard dual battery system on the 100 and when the 4.2TD gets started the voltage on the now single crank would sometimes drop below the threshold required to run the VMS properly and it would crash and reboot.

Forget what I said about accessory power earlier. It was a mostake as I had forgotten exactly how I fixed it. Brain fizzled by chemo!!

I ran a wire from my second battery through a fuse and then a diode to the Bat+ wire leading into the VMS. I also ran a wire from the crank battery also through a fuse and a diode to the same Bat+ wire leading into the VMS. These two retain a suitable positive voltage and the unit doesn't stuff up. The Accessory+ wire actually turns the unit on and off. The diodes are necessary to ensure that there isn't any "cross battery" current that will stuff up anything in the cars wiring or anywhere alse in the car.

I can send a diagram but any auto elec with half a brain should be able to work it out.

I hope that solves your issue.

Phil
FollowupID: 807606

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 19:51

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 19:51
Th Batt+ input is the same 12V input that keeps the VMS time circuitry etc running when the unit is turned off.

That wire from the standard crank battery can be the one already connected to Batt+ input. Just cut it and insert a diode there at the back of the box.

Phil
FollowupID: 807608

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 19:58

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 19:58
Hello I have had 2 Chinese above dash units that run Igo8 street directory and also OziExplorer with hems maps. Both units are 5 years old an I have bought 4 others for mates and set them up for them. Both run reverse cameras. Initial cost for 7inch screens is under $200 then oziExplorer and hema maps so all up under $500.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

AnswerID: 525601

Reply By: Tony H15 - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 09:19

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 09:19
I bought a Garmin a few years ago for $250, it was rubbish: maps were hopelessly out of date and the touch screen was hopeless . A few months ago I bought a 7: from China for $70 with free maps. Terrific, maps are up to date, the touch screen works a treat and it does a few other things the expensive brand names don't. Best of all, if it does break it only $70, but break it hasn't and it still works great. The Garmin is where it belongs now - in the bin.
AnswerID: 525618

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 17:24

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 17:24
Sorry to hear you got a dud Garmin Tony but good to know that the Chinese mapped Australia in the meantime.

Just to balance the ledger I've had a TomTom and now Garmin upper mid-range devices for the last 7 or 8 years. Mapping is much for muchness - they use the only two commercial mapping suppliers available afaik: Sensis and Navteq . Both devices were/are very very good once you learn to get the best out of them. For $140 or so I recently got a quality Garmin device with free map updates for "life". I also have a hand held Garmin for bushwalking - a great product, although battery life could be better. Happy to support a company which invests heavily in GPS systems and data.

Garmin has been guilty of "overcharging" and mediocre customer service in this country in the past but they've improved all round from my reading, no doubt stung by the Chinese devices now on the market.
FollowupID: 807595

Reply By: allein m - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 10:42

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 10:42
A breadcrumb trail will allow you to backtrack

yes that is what I would use most thank you

never to old to learn some thing new
AnswerID: 525621

Reply By: Member - Russler - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 13:43

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 13:43
Hi allein m, we had a VMS unit installed in-dash 'a few' years ago. Back then they came with all the Hema maps and Australia wide topos in MemMap format. OziExplorer is also installed, but as pointed out already, I'd need to pay a license fee (MemMaps were included free). Generally it has been very good. A couple of things I don't like about it are:
1) when using the nav system, it occasionally comes up with an igo8 error - perhaps this has been fixed in later models,
2) it was sold as being iPod compatible, however it turns out they are not compatible with our iPod Touch, but it is compatible with a friend's iPod Classic, and
3) occasionally, when hitting a sharp bump (could be a spoon drain around town, a corrugation offroad, or the sharp tug you get when snatching another vehicle), the system restarts and so loses the map it was on. I presume my model has a hard drive, and this has possibly been rectified if they now use SSD's.

There are some holes in the map coverage, and in some cases the mapping s/w does not seem to be very accurate, eg. driving around on the main sealed roads around SW Vic, and according to the map we're off the road and driving through the adjacent paddock. However I believe that is not a fault of the VMS, but in the mapping definitions themselves.

I've had to call their tech support people a couple of times, and they've been helpful each time.

We haven't used all of the features of the VMS (eg. Bluetooth telephone, CD player or DVD player).

Would I get another? Probably. But then I'd also need to work out what to do for mapping on the new one.
AnswerID: 525627

Follow Up By: jacent - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:06

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:06
The $995 vms is pretty much identical to the $1995 in dash units as I have compared them, i rang vms and they said the chesper one is their newer model and it isxa better unit than the double price one! not much else to compare to, I don't want to muck around with Chinese gear as majority is junk but obviously some people have a win!
FollowupID: 807577

Reply By: Member - Michael W14 - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 17:13

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 17:13
Two years ago, I purchased a 7' screen unit on ebay after the guys on lcool recommended the product and the seller. He had models to suit various car types inc. my Toyota 200 Series.

The unit has radio, phone/bluetooth hookup, ipod controller, DVD, navigation (I have a 32GB SD card in it running Oziexplorer CE), USB port, movies etc etc

It was over $1000 though.

Willie.
AnswerID: 525648

Reply By: allein m - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 17:44

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 17:44
Thank you so much for your replys I have now got a much better idea on what to look for and feel it would be better in the long run to buy some thing here in Broken hill that way I can ask questions and see the thing working

some things I think you can buy via ebay other s well you are taking a chance

If I cannot buy some thing here I shall wait till we go to Adelaide

AnswerID: 525652

Sponsored Links