electric brakes on a mazda 6

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 16:46
ThreadID: 106057 Views:1793 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Has anyone installed electric brakes into a mazda 6? I have a 2006 model wagon and am planning to do this except an auto elec wants over $500 to do this. Does anyone know if there is a pre-existing auxillary port (ie, under the dash or elsewhere) which I can just plug the controller into? or would I have to wire it the hard way?

Many thanks!

Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 18:36

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 18:36
Hi Mick,
If all else fails, read the instructions that come with the brake controller.
AnswerID: 525657

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 18:59

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 18:59
Diesel or Petrol?
Never fitted one to a Mazda 6 but often EFI vehicles have a dual section brake light switch.
One half switches the signal for ECU/Auto computer down shift and cruise cancel functions, the other half usually switches the stop lights on.

The brake light section may or may not be conncted to a body module which actually switches the stop lights on. I don't know if conventional or body module controlled. Someone might know.

If it is conventional then it is just a matter of finding the wire which runs to the stop globes for the red wire on the controller.
Main12v battery +ve supply to the controller, has to go through an auto resetting thermo cutout/breaker for safety reasons and apart from the negative to "body/batt neg" the blue wire has to be run from the cab to pin 5 in the towbar base 7 pin connector.
AnswerID: 525658

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 10:39

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 10:39
The best way to pick up a brake light signal is at the light fitting at the rear. Then you have the problem of which wire gets switched. if they switch the +ve you can connect direct to it. If the -ve is the switched wire then you need a relay circuit to get the +ve signal to the brake controller.

If by some chance you don't know what I am talking about, you definitely need someone to fit it for you.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807639

Reply By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 23:57

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 23:57
And tap into the wrong wire and possibly damage the ecu
Main power supply wire needs fusing and to be an adequate size, routed safely.
Then the wire down to the back needs to be adequate size, insulated and routed/secured and connected correctly.

I'd get the sparky to do it. That way it's done properly. If you do it and get it wrong....and kill yourself well...that's ok. But it's not ok to put other people in harm's way.
AnswerID: 525672

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 09:25

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 09:25
I'm assuming the $500 includes the controller.... for that amount installed I wouldn't consider that expensive for the unit & professional installation.
When choosing a controller consider the Teconsha P3 I have no affiliation with Teconshsa other than being a happy user/consumer
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 525680

Sponsored Links