Outback travel

Hi,all.
We are about to set of to do the Oonadatta Track , Tanami Track Gibb River roads would love to get some comments re what spare parts to take, without over loading, current vehicle LC 200 and a 21ft trakmaster .

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 22:29

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 22:29
Murphy says what ever you take, it will be something different that you need. With a well prepared vehicle and not driving too fast you shouldn't have any problems. Obviously a few spare tyres (all the better if they are interchangeable between caravan and car). When on roads like the Tanami, each stop check everything that can some unscrewed - any idea how many screws in a caravan? We had no tyre problems on the Gibb or the Tanami, but a few other problems on the Tanami.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526099

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 00:40

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 00:40
When you say about to take off, when would that be?? because the Gibb RR wont be open until May at the earliest, I wouldn't think the Tanimi would be open all the way through for a while either.
Tanami road closure

Hope this helps.

Phil
AnswerID: 526104

Follow Up By: Member - " H " (VIC) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:25

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:25
Thanks thus far, we won't be hitting the Gibb until the week of May

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808275

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:44

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:44
We are having a late wet. Kununurra had some flooding recently. I would have a plan B in place. One year I was going to the Kimberley and I went to the Pilbura instead because of a late wet.

Also re your tyres. Most people I have seen with tyre problems is because they leave them at blacktop pressures. Lower you tyre pressure and you shouldn't have too many problems. Also have the occasionaly break - not for you - to let your shockers cool. They take a pounding on the corrugations even at a reasonable speed.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 808278

Follow Up By: Greyone - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 20:53

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 20:53
That's a great tip to have the occasional break to let the shockers cool. Not too many people are aware of that. Cheers.
FollowupID: 808331

Reply By: Member - " H " (VIC) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:20

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:20
That was supposed to read 3rd week of May

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526121

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:49

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:49
I am planning to do the Kimberley again this year. Leaving Katherine on the 24th of May.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 808285

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 21:21

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 21:21
Take a spare fuel filter or two and a 5mm allen key in case you get bad fuel.

Here is the fitting procedure

1. Remove both electrical plugs from filter assembly.
2. "Crack" the three Allen key studs whilst still connected to vehicle and you have leverage. Keep reasonably firm to prevent fuel leakage onto vehicle.
3. Undo two nuts holding assembly to vehicle and remove.
4. Hold assembly whilst you undo and remove the three Allen key studs.
5. Carefully remove top of filter assembly (without taking fuel hoses off). Then take filter "bowl" away from vehicle to drain fuel and remove filter.
6. Clean filter "bowl" with clean rag.
7. Install new filter with new o-ring/seal.
8. Reinstall assembly to vehicle.
9. Prime the fuel filter housing using the manual pump on top of assembly. You should know when the housing is primed by the extra, very firm pressure on the manual pump.
10. Follow procedures outlined below to turn off the warning light.

The fuel system warning light (see LC 200 Owners Manual). There is no information in the Manual on how to reset the warning light .

Follow this procedure to turn light off:
1. Disconnect top wires/plug on filter housing
2. Turn Ignition on
3. Plug top wires/plug back in
4. Turn Ignition Key off
5. Turn Key back on and start vehicle
Light should now be off!!

AnswerID: 526160

Reply By: Member - " H " (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:04

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:04
Thanks Guys,
All comments are much appreciated and will. Be taken on board I've already been thru the of changing the fuel filter while staying at Barn Hill where a gentleman with a 200 series had a fuel filter he sold for cost price, and a guy showed me how to install and replace the old dirty filter, there is always somebody out there to help you, I now carry 2 fuel filters so that I can help someone as well when the situation arises .

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526247

Sponsored Links