Landcruiser valve timing

Submitted: Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:17
ThreadID: 106170 Views:2027 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
Have read this forum frequently but just joined as I now have a question.
Last week I bought 2001 100 series petrol Landcruiser to replace my 2002 Ford Explorer.
I think I might have made a terrible mistake as the Landcruiser is gutless compared to the Ford even thought they have pretty much the same size engines (4.5 versus 4.6 litre) and towing is my prime interest.
I know the Ford is a bit lighter but this can't be the only reason for the difference in performance.
They both have the same mileage but the Landcruiser engine was rebuilt 30,000 kms ago after an increase in oil useage.
The previous owners father-in-law (a mechanic) rebuilt the original engine and I am wondering if he has got the valve timing wrong on one of the cams as this would make sense as to why the vehicle is so sluggish off the mark.
Or. are 4.5 litre petrol Landcruisers a dog of an engine and mine is just normal?
If I remove the valve cover, are the timing marks visible and are there any special tricks to checking them.
Thanks in advance
Gary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:03

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:03
The 4.5 Litre engine is a proven performer Snow not withstanding what might be happening with your particular engine. I had one that towed all it's life right up to 250,000kms before I sold it was still going strong. I know a few people that have had them using oil. The Lcool forums below are you best bet.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_series/80_series_technical.html

AnswerID: 526125

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:04

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:04
Sorry wrong link, here is the link for the 100 series.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/100_series/100_series_technical.htm
FollowupID: 808282

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:05

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:05
Can't comment on valve timeing but my old 4500 L/C was a great car. It was not sluggish off the mark and on a normal road would leave my mates 100 diesel for dead at the lights.
They are a heavy car but well made, strong, and tough as nails. Properly prepared they will go just about anywhere.
They were sluggish up hills tho' as they don't have the torque of the diesel and loved fuel. Towing a heavy van up hill will be slowish but it will get there.
Take the car to your local toyota dealership and have them properly check it out. You'll get many opinions on a forum, all well meaning but may end up with conflicting views...in the end only three solutions..live with it, sell it, or take it to a knowledable mechanic to fix it.

Cheers
Brenton

AnswerID: 526126

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:03

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:03
Just a thought - suggest you look at all of the 'gizmos' connected to the engine - I had a personal experience last week and although my engine was running sweetly, it had lost at least half of it's power (following some mechanical work)! This was due to a tiny rubber pipe being left unconnected to a vacuum switch way down the back of the engine. You have en entirely different motor, but it might still be festooned with sensors and actuators that all carry out their various important tasks - many have both electrical and vacuum connections. Worth a look.
AnswerID: 526131

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 13:11

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 13:11
Yes good point given that it's had an engine rebuild anything is possible.?
FollowupID: 808297

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:51

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:51
If it is on gas, and it is the egg ring setup, this is the issue, if not, start by checking everything, and if nothing found put a new fuel pump in it....the e10 and older FP's not ment to run it can cause themto be lazy.....
AnswerID: 526231

Sponsored Links