Bitsa hilux

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:57
ThreadID: 106186 Views:1506 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey everyone I own two hiluxes ones a old 1996 ln106 dual cab and the other is a 2003 KZN165R. The plane was to strip both cars to rolling chassis and build one good 4x4 out of two.

I want to use the 106's chassis suspension and front axles and diff.

I want to put the kz body motor and gear box as well as the rear LSD (the 106's is cactus) and swap over minor things like the breaks and etc.

I want to know if I'll run into trouble with sticking the kz body or and if the gearbox and engine line up with the mounts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 15:14

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 15:14
Hi Steven

Try the Newhilux forum, plenty of technical info there and plenty of modified hiluxes

Good luck
AnswerID: 526199

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 22:03

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 22:03
Be under no illusion that this is an epic task.

There will be things that don't line up...but I doubt that there will be anything that cane be made to fit.

You WILL need to take some engineering advice, because several things will need to be engineered.

At least you have two complete vehicles.....that counts for a great deal.

Have you realy thaught how much this will cost and how much work is involved...it may just be easier to sell em both and buy something else.

cheers
AnswerID: 526241

Follow Up By: Steven B4 - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 02:18

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 02:18
i can sell one but not the other. it all depends ill chat with a engineer to cost isnt an issue id do most work my self biggest expence would be getting it legal
FollowupID: 808515

Reply By: Mark S (cns) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 13:07

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 13:07
New mounts for everything up front....

I may be wrong but it sounds like you want the 2003 hilux with a live front axle and a monster lift.
If you look at it like that, it is not worth the effort IMO. just sell the 96 one and trick the newer one up with diff locks and a few other goodies. You might not get the "wow, check out that phat hilux" effect as much, but it would go just as far off road.....
AnswerID: 526271

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 23:41

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 23:41
To add to marks comments.

One thing you MUST realise is that a hilux IS what it is, lots of people try to make them something that they simpley never will be.

They find after doing this mod, that breaks or the other thing does not go as well.

Most of the mods, end up taking away the big advantages that hiluxes have.

I have an 03 hiulux and I thing they are about as good as the hilux ever got.
AND as what they are designed for, with a few small improvements, not many other vehicles will match them.

They are small, light, go fairly well and are economical both to run and fix.

Don't belive everbody that tells you the live front end is better.....depeding on what you do it may not be.

The IFS front end is all over the live front end everywhere except "on the hard tracks", it rides better, steers better and stops better.

If you want an off road beastie "for the hard tracks" go buy a patroll or a landcruser.....the hilux will never be that car...especially legally.

cheers
FollowupID: 808603

Reply By: Steven B4 - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:32

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:32
i own a land cruiser but she very old patrols are not exactly the best and torsion bar front end is use less and i prefer good old leafs its just that body on the 106 is buggered
AnswerID: 526713

Sponsored Links