97 Landcruiser 80 Series

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 13:14
ThreadID: 106203 Views:8169 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday to all,

Friend of mine has just purchased above and cant seem to get the spate wheel from under the rear of vehicle. I suspevt he is missing a key or tool to unwind and drop wheel. User manual unclear. Any thoughts?? Cheers Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: scruffy - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 13:46

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 13:46
From memory there should be a jack handle with 3 or 4 extensions and 1 with a half round hook. Join all together and find a slot in/near the rear bumper. Insert the hook end through the slot and find the slot on the spare wheel bracket. Insert the hook end in there. Then wind the spare down. Not sure which way it winds. May also need to push the handle in with continual pressure while winding. One way down...other way up. Some wd40 or such may need to be sprayed on the ratchet on the winding mechanism. Job is easier with 2 people at the start until you get used to where to place the hook end. Bob
AnswerID: 526273

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S12 - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 14:05

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 14:05
Thanks Scruffy, sounds a bit like the bottle jack handle on Prado so might give that a try. Cheers Kevin
FollowupID: 808478

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 13:50

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 13:50
Yep, quite possible. The BIL bought a 100 series and when he went to change his first flat found an extension was missing from the jack tool kit. Apparently quite common on that model but maybe on the 80's as well, or someone has 'souvenired it.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 526274

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 14:27

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 14:27
Kevin,

As well as the 3 extensions required out of the tool bag, and the handle to turn them, I seem to recall there is another step in the process.

On the chrome type scruff strip, on edge of the rear compartment, there could a domed square nut? Think this locks "something" and has to be unscrewed(anti-clockwise) to allow the extension to pass through to the spare tyre winch. On the '97 GXL we had, seemed to remember that I dispensed with locking device, with an angle grinder!

To lower the tyre, turn the handle anti-clockwise, and if the winch isn't seized up or over tightened, then it should lower.........after a fashion. Sometimes the chain links twist around, and it won't lower the tyre right to ground level, but this can be rectified by getting dirty and lowering by hand, or untwisting the chain.

There was one model, can't recall if it was Hilux or Landcruiser, that had a wire cable instead of a chain, and these usually caused few dramas...........when you went to lower the tyre, it was missing because the cable had snapped:-)))

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526277

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 15:17

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 15:17
On my 100 series, once the lowering handle has been assembled (3 pieces as I recall; 2 rods and a handle) there is a 'security key' that is inserted into the end of the rod - this mates with a receiver inside a funnel on the winch mechanism. In case you don't get the good oil here, try the Lcool.org forum..... join up and search the 80's section first - if nothing on that subject, post a question (but search first !).
AnswerID: 526282

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 15:53

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 15:53
Gday
I bought a new jack handle kit last year and the whole lot including a bag I think was less than $20.00..
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526284

Reply By: WBS - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 17:10

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 17:10
Open the bottom half of the tailgate. In the middle of the chrome protector that is hidden by the closed tailgate there is a nut with a Phillips head screw in it. That nut needs to be loosened right off before you can get the brown rods into the slot to wind down the spare wheel.

Assemble the brown rods together and poke the hook end into the slot between the rear bumper and the tailgate (now closed). It should slide right in. Turn the handle slowly until is slots into the recess in the lowering mechanism.

Its hard to explain without pictures but it is the best I can do.

WBS
AnswerID: 526291

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 19:40

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 19:40
Hi Kevin.
look just below the tail gate, left of centre, and you will see a hole in the panel work.
Sometimes there is a cover covering this hole.
Look into the hole and you will see a round device with a slot in it. This is where the jack handle slots in.

Wind anti clockwise for down and clockwise for up. It may be very firm to get started but this is the correct direction. Go hard if you have to.

There are two or three extensions to the jack handle including the hook end not including the T piece for the crank. They all fit together.
drawing of winch housing

This is a photo of the handle.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526300

Reply By: Member - Kevin S12 - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 17:53

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 17:53
Thanks to everybody for your input...some pretty brilliant instructions...particularly the photos and diagrams. Going to have a crack at it with the Prado handle. At least we now know how it should work. Cheers Kevin
AnswerID: 526375

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 21:53

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 21:53
And good luck to you if the bloody thing hasn't been used for ages as it will be clogged up with dirt, dust or mud! Living in the bush we have found the only answer is to have the spare mounted on the rear bumper. At least then, I as a woman can change it easily. GRRRHH toyota spares are a pain in the ar*e. Toni
AnswerID: 526693

Sponsored Links