low rev power (not 4wd)

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 14:40
ThreadID: 10621 Views:1932 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
i know this is not 4wd related, but i dont know where else to start. i have an older model camry (1988, SV21 motor) with an auto, and i have been racking my brains to figure out how to give it some kick at low revs.

we live at a major intersection on the sunshine coast, which requires crossing 4 lanes of traffic up to four times a day - and it is not fun when the car is sooooo slow of the mark.

at the moment, it is a really nice highway cruiser, and has adequate acceleration above 60kms per hour in second gear, but just doesnt get going fast.

am i looking at a new gearbox, or engine mods, or just a new car? (please no, this beastie has to last me another 10 years yet!!) Ideally, it would still be economical like it is, and as quiet as it is (ie stand 2 meters away at idle and strain to hear it), but just less sluggish.

any ideas, with explainations and logic for a beginner gladly accepted.

ps: as far as i know, everything is stock, no mods at all
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 14:57

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 14:57
The fact that it's so quiet probably means it is muffled to the hilt, meaning it can't breathe as well as it should. If it were a 4x4 (and I assume normal cars are similar), you can usually get some power increase by adding a set of extractors and a more free flowing exhaust system (would give it a bit of a "note" so be careful of our friends in the double bubble cars!!!). Also check the intake side to ensure the air filter is not blocked....maybe a Unifilter could be fitted.
If you do all that (or even if you don't), a good tune-up including a compression test should be done to make sure the old girl is operating as Mr Toyota intended.
Good luck
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47204

Reply By: Davoe - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:09

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:09
Had one of those beasties once good solid car and surprisingly rapid on the highway however I think they are geared to give maximum economy which gives a slow takeoff (even my mum wasnt impreesed with its get up and go). I solved the problem by writing it off and replacing it with a 1986 skyline which has no shortage of get up and go and they are cheaper than an a commodore which has the same motor
AnswerID: 47208

Sponsored Links