Preformance Chip Pajero NS 2007-blew DPF

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 18:21
ThreadID: 106224 Views:5690 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had a Torqit Chip put in my Pajero NS 2007
drove 50kms towing van blew a big hole in DPF with meltdown.
a near death experience. on M1.
Torqit people say bad luck your DPF was probably on way out.
will prob get money back for FAULTY Chip but will still cost me a fortune to get Pajero back to normal.

Has anyone out-there heard of similar as i need some Ammo to try to get compensation

Thanks Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 20:22

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 20:22
I didn't know a 7 year old Pajero had a DPF fitted.
You learn something every day so they say.

Recent VW's do.
AnswerID: 526382

Reply By: Nutta - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 20:52

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 20:52
Sounds like a coincidence to me, hard to believe a chip could in anyway blow a dpf, I'd keep it and try again.
AnswerID: 526385

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:47

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:47
If it actually has a DPF, a chip can easily be overfuelling and that combined with Higher than normal EGT's would load hydrocarbons into the pockets of a DPF (if fitted).
Then that would cause it, the DPF to try and burn off the, unusual additional amount of hydrocarbon fuel and generate heat far in excess of what will normally happen.

Isuzu trucks are fitted with a DPF and when it need to burn itself clean ie regeneration, it will slow the truck and you pull over until it burns off the carbon load AS IT IDLES and is therefore not work hard and exhaust gasses are cooler.

Partially Blocked CATS can also generate a lot of heat as the catalyst tries to ignite any fuel passing through it's internal matrix.

Red hot exhausts do happen, I would imagine "overfuelled", hard working, exiting exhaust will "light your fire" quite easily.

Nah, chips can't do that could they? Rubbish.

Ps Look at some vehicle substantial heat shields, they aren't fitted because the factory had spare material to get rid off. Idling and fan air flows dissipates the underbody heat generated during such events.

Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 808579

Follow Up By: Nutta - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 08:22

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 08:22
I didn't say they couldn't do it just hard to believe, it was only 50 kays.
FollowupID: 808618

Reply By: John and Regina M - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:52

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:52
So they have said the chip is faulty?
AnswerID: 526392

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 22:35

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 22:35
The chip doesn't have to be faulty, all it has to do is overfuel. That isn't necessarily a fault but a setting level.

Lots of Navaras have chips which aren't faulty but under a decent load and particularly on acceleration they blow black smoke and the chip is just fine, but set too high and overfuels.

Most people who add a chip also fit a larger exhaust to cater for and clear more exhaust gas flow and therefore heat.
If it still has the OE exhaust system it may be not flowing as free as the chip thinks is happening so heat builds up.

Every modification brings it's own set of problems which have to be understood and allowed for if success is to be ongoing.
FollowupID: 808584

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 22:42

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 22:42
Thanks Ross. The original poster mentioned the chip was faulty and I wondered where that info came from. Yes I agree popping a chip in is just the start of the process. And I guess this vehicle is quite old to now be popping a chip in, possibly with no other mods.
FollowupID: 808588

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 07:24

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 07:24
I have a NS Pajero and it does have a DPF fitted as standard, hence the exorbitant cost for low ash engine oil at each service. You can get a DPF delete pipe which removes the DPF (and hence the need for low ash engine oil). Some chip manufacturers recommend this be done before a chip is fitted. The Pajero forums on line have much more information on this. Interestingly, the later model Pajero was not fitted with a DPF.
FollowupID: 808614

Follow Up By: richard - Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 18:56

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 18:56
As above - I have a NS Pajero - 2007 with a DPF.

I had it removed and replaced by a CHIPIT DELETE PIPE before getting it chipped (TUNEIT). I did this a couple of years ago and do tow a van.

I have left the chip at the standard setting. This has given enough extra grunt.

I was giving away my old DPF as I am trading it in but the dealer said he wanted it as it will be required when they register and sell it. Something you may think of if just replacing the DPF with the pipe.

Removing the DPF made the car run a lot better.

Good luck as the DPFs are expensive compared too the pipes.

Richard
FollowupID: 808724

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 19:32

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 19:32
Chip people just want to sell chips - they don't seem interested in the consequences.
Like Ross said, I expect overfuelling has blocked up your DPF. The DPF was increased in size with the next model and then deleted with the next upgrade (much to everyone's delight!) Yeah DPFs are a PITA - need the special engine oil and they block off pretty easily. I'd guess you're now looking at fitting a DPF delete pipe to solve your problem.

My wife's Tiguan has a DPF - I've been using Chemtech diesel additive to reduce the soot (particulates) and so far, so good.
AnswerID: 526611

Reply By: joe m6 - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 08:39

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 08:39
Thanks for all the input
The Torqit innovation and preformance people based in Singleton NSW are not taking any responsibility for damage the Chip caused.
THE pajero has now(towed)gone to Chiptuning in Londonderry for bypass surgery .
thanks joe
AnswerID: 526778

Sponsored Links