Ferry at Port Macquarie info

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:53
ThreadID: 106229 Views:1949 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there,
Does anybody know some info on the ferry that goes over the Hastings river at Port Macquarie? Times, cost etc. We are going to head along Point Plomer rd towards Cresent Head and the ferry looks like a good shortcut. I did a search and found out there may be some camps along that way....hope the road is in good nic?
Any info would be great,
Chriso
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chisel - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:59

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:59
The road south from Pt Plomer towards the ferry was fairly horrible when I went through a while back (2012). Nothing that would stop you, but very slow and lumpy.
AnswerID: 526393

Reply By: Penchy - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 08:06

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 08:06
There is a search function that google provide that will answer most questions. type in "Settlement city ferry" and this comes up http://www.hastings.nsw.gov.au/www/html/1043-port-macquarie-ferry-services.asp

type in "Point Plomer road conditions" and this comes up
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/29864/port_macquarie_to_point_plomer.aspx

from what I can gather this is a free service that google provide, 24/7 (as long as you have internet connection)

It's not hard.
AnswerID: 526406

Reply By: Cruiser . - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:20

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:20
The ferry is NOT free.

Camping is available at Point Plomer, The Bighill or The Racecourse but NPWS fees apply

The road is an old sand mining rd that neither council (Hastings and Kempsey) recognise and so there has been no maintenance done on the road between Point Plomer and the north shore of Port Macquarie.

It is rough and there are many rocks that can be hidden in the water filled depressions, so care is needed, but if driven slowly it is fine.

Cheers,

Cruiser

(BTW, I live in Port Macquarie so this is all first hand knowledge)
AnswerID: 526411

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:32

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:32
Hi nootsa,

The last time I use the ferry was about 4 years ago and it cost $2.00 each way. Will be more now. Also have you looked at going up through Limeburner's creek instead Easy road and you can turn back to Point Plomer and that road is looked after by the council. The road from Port to Point Plomer is not maintained and gets rough in places.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526416

Reply By: bks - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 15:35

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 15:35
I used the ferry and drove to point Plomer a couple of days before Christmas. The ferry goes continually. As it fills up it goes to the other side and returns straight away probably ends up leaving about every half hour. Costs $3.

The road was pretty rough, but nothing a Prado had difficulty with, although a couple of small SUV's were bogged in the deep sand. Quiet rocky with patches of deep sand occasionally and deep mud near a swamp just before Point Plomer.

It would be easy going for any decent sized 4WD as you needed the clearance for the deep sand and mud.
AnswerID: 526447

Follow Up By: bks - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 15:39

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 15:39
Sorry forgot to say I didn't see any camping before Point Plomer.
FollowupID: 808651

Sponsored Links