Review: EOTopo

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 13:35
ThreadID: 106250 Views:1827 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gooday : Attention to David & Michelle , I am interested in get this product and want it for my Twonav compegps Android tablet but don't have compe " land " to convert it to Rmaps format , so is it possible for you to convert it to Rmaps format ( for any android device ) for your 100;s of potential customer !! :-) as you may know good maps are limited .
cheers Nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:57

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:57
Nick,

Sorry for the delay. I have just researched the TwoNav system and it supports ECW format. This format is already available on either the SD or USB options. Thus it should work without change just use the files in the ECW folder.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526559

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 16:30

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 16:30
David

ECW format will work with some versions of TwoNav but not all. Most importantly (for Nick at least) ECW files can not be opened with the Android version of TwoNav (and I suspect the iOS version as well). The only option is RMAP format (AFAIK).

I have used Twonav for several years on a Aventura (which does open ECW files). I have also a license for Android TwoNav on a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 10.1 and can assure you that ECW files cannot be opened and in fact don't even show up in the map list even if on SD card.

It is easy enough to convert ECW to RMAP using CompeGPS Land but this costs money to register. The trial version only last 30 days ..and I think Nick has exhausted his time before deciding on going down the Android path..hence his question to you. Obviously he could buy the registered version but for a one off conversion considers it uneconomic to purchase (though CompeGPS Land has other functions that he may find useful - but his call, not ours).

I realise that you cant supply every format for everyone (for various reasons) but I think Nick was hopeful you could assist in this instance (and possibly others in the future).

Cheers
Greg

PS: reminder - Android TwoNav is also restricted to 2gb file size for maps.
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808945

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 16:57

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 16:57
Thanks Greg,

I was looking at some documentation - mind you the online documentation and information for the product is rubbish (unless I am missing it in searching). There would be a few issues with this conversion, I would have to convert the state based files as the main image is bigger than 2GB (about 3.5GB). This adds 6 more conversions to my growing list of about 6 formats already needing special conversion. I have not even been able to get Mud-Map to work as it just will not deal with the main map image and suspect it may have a similar 2GB issue however the MM guys have not mentioned this.

I can schedule the conversion in but then I have to buy the product, create another SD/USB drive for distribution, hold stock in the warehouse, update it when a new release comes out etc. This ends up costing a lot of time and money for how many users (I am not sure). If we were talking many 10 to 100's then I could do it but for a couple it is going to cost me more than I will ever recover.

GlobalMapper does not have a writer for it pity. Seems another propriety format for the sake of a propriety format.

A difficult one to answer easily without knowing how many users I am talking about, and that answer is not easy to find.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 808951

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 17:27

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 17:27
Hi

Yes, I pointed out to Nick (within a private discussion) that supplying every format for every possible option could be difficult proposition ..as much as you'd probably like to keep everyone happy.

I don't know how popular TwoNav is ...and then of course a percentage of users could do the conversion themselves (under assumption at least some purchase Compegps license) ...so risky business.

ECW is pretty universal and can be converted as well so best single option (as you obviously know). Strange that TwoNav doesn't have option for ecw on android. You can view ecw in Oziexplorer on Android so its not a limitation of the OS. Maybe someone needs to talk to Compegps crew and suggest they make the software more universal with respect to map formats.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808955

Sponsored Links