GPS Units

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:02
ThreadID: 10626 Views:1810 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hello all, am interested in buying a GPS what is the best and most functional unit there are so many out there i dont know where to start i was looking at the new Meridian Color.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:43

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:43
Depends on how you are going to use it . Do you want maps, fixed in the vehicle or portable,how much do you want to pay? I started out with a Garmin 45xl. A portable unit that could also be fitted in the vehicle and wired up to the car battery. It was great. Eye sight not so good any more and needed some thing with a big screen. Garmin 128, big screen , comes with bracket , external aerial, leads to wire it to the battery and lap top .Have just completed wiring the lap top and now the GPS has a 14" screen and maps of all of Australia. The unit is not portable but I don't take my GPS for a walk any more. There are a lot of units out there ,best of luck

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 47234

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:23

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:23
Brent,

There are a couple of good books around. I think you were reffered to one earlier. Another one to look out for is Exploring GPS, which is published by GPSCO and TAFE. Both of these books give you some information about what GPS features suit what purpose.

You can als have a look at gpsinformation.net. They have hardware reviews, a page called Which GPS Should I Buy? and tonnes of GPS related info.

PlutoGet out there & have Fun!!!
AnswerID: 47239

Reply By: BurnieM - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 20:42

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 20:42
How long is a piece of string ?

There are 3 basic options;
1. Basic unit giving a grid based position and basic waypoint, route and tracklog capability
2. Moving map unit with all the basic features but also able to display a map with your position laid on the map. Advanced units may also have turn by turn 'auto-routing' which requires special mapsets
3. PC or PocketPC mapping display connected to basic GPSR

The Magellan Meridan color fits into the middle category and combined with the DiscoverAus mapping CD and a SD data card is a good unit.
It is not cheap at over $1500

Check that the colour screen does not wash out in bright sunlight (when in you own vehicle) and also that the brightness can be turned right down for night use.
AnswerID: 47254

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:37

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:37
Brent,
it depends on how you intend to use it. If you need genuine hand portability then the Meridian Color is a good example of built in mapping capability with a reasonably clear (small) display. If you have a laptop and connect the GPS you get a bigger clearer display, and you don't need to buy the top of the range GPS. If you just need a point reference to correlate with a paper map then any old GPS will do. If you can afford it then the Meridian Color will perform all these functions. Bear in mind that you can get one on Ebay for about $400AUD.Bob
AnswerID: 47264

Reply By: Member - jtb - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 08:11

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 08:11
wait till april garmins new streetpilot ,its functions will blow u away ,check out garmins web site cheersrather be fishing
AnswerID: 47498

Reply By: Member - Des - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:54

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:54
You can get the Meridians much cheaper from the US, especially with the current exchange rate. See previous threads on "Importing GPS from USA". You need to change the basemap but that can be done.

AnswerID: 47576

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:04

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:04
MY advice would be to go borrow one off a friend for a few months and use it every day, driving to work and doing your weekend stuff, whatever and then make your decision. As everyone has said, it depends on what u want to do with it and if u dont have a GPS you cant be really sure what'll best suit your needs. Read a good book like "GPS vehicle navigation in Australia" thats available at the ExplorOz shop here.

All the bestLife ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
AnswerID: 47584

Sponsored Links