Awd, Subys etc,Full time 4wd, toyos ,etc,V/s Front wheel Dr standard.?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 17:53
ThreadID: 106272 Views:1864 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Have owned all..!, ..But in the wet,the Subaru system works a treat overall, compared to others, the landrover defender hangs on but you can feel it clawing at the road trying to hang on, the toyo the same!1! ,standard fwd a bit of a worry theres always one side at the front that wants to sit and spin when its wet at take off from where ever,..So overall I take my hat off to the suby system that's been around for along time!...over a array of models!........Just my opinion over the ownership of a few vehicles.

Cheers Axle.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 18:07

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 18:07
G'day Axle

You seem to have had a wide experience with axle types, ha ha.

I was driving in town one day and as I approached a side road to the left, a Police turbo Subaru Forester flew out of the side road and then was suddenly in front of me travelling away, instantly it did a 180 turn, not slow at all, and then drove up alongside and passed me and then continued to wherever with great haste.
I thought at the time, I don't know any other vehicle which could do what that just did.

So I fully agree.
Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 526603

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 18:19

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 18:19
Maybe not just the vehicle Ross (;=))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 808828

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 18:58

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 18:58
Are you talking black-top Axle? Either way vehicle weight, centre of gravity, tyres and power band makes a huge difference. Pretty decent vehicles by all reports though I agree. Daughter's bf has a Forester which goes like the clappers. Can be "tuned" to run on E85 or premium unleaded.
AnswerID: 526607

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 19:06

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 19:06
The 4wd system in the subaru can not be compared to that you would find in a proper 4wd.

They are designed for completly different purposes.

The high speed road going 4wd systems have been arround for a long time.
Pergeot where the first to run a variable torque split 4wd system in competition and it wiped the carpet in the rallying sceene with the 205/16, around the same time Audi came out with the Quatro....Ari Vatenen ( world champ at the time) jumped ship from a long association with ford and drove both pergeot and audi....he nearly killed him self in a 205/16

After that it was on for young an old every manufacturer ran some sort of road going 4wd system in rallying and it had to come out in production due to homoligation requirements.

Subaru came to fast road going 4wd systems fairly late in the piece.
I remember the small time privateers running the early subaru 4wds in competition...it was the only 4wd rally car they could afford...and they had fairly conventional 4wd set ups compared to the other brands, that had well concieved variable torque split systems.

Now almost every expensive high power performance car or supercar has a fast road going 4wd system...most of them would leave the subaru for dead....most of them would not stay on the road, with the immense power if it was not for the 4wd system and the computerised traction control.

But few of us would have the opportunity to drive one of those.

If you want to compare the 4wd system in a subaru with something may be a late model 4wd sports car would be more reasonable rarther than a light truck bassed SUV

cheers
AnswerID: 526608

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 19:06

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 19:06
AWD - ok but not so sure Axle - would never have an FWD only though.

Our first RAV4 was brillant though with geniune 50/50 geared drive to all 4 independant wheels

But in an 80 series few days ago , we are on a hill with no tracks heading up the steepening slope at an angle trying to make it to a cross road and you could tell we weren't going to do it, you could feel the car losing it , slewing sideways as it grabbed for traction with momentumm heading for zero land !

Driver flicks the wheel to the right momentarily aligning all the wheels so that in that split second of alignment both lockers could be punched straight in and it caught it as it reared up and front end just got over onto the track edge and front wheels dropped to the track thanks to a foot of front wheel travel.

My AWD RAV4 could never have done that !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526609

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 06:32

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 06:32
Rav was only ever basic awd. Sube torque sensing diffs will send 100% drive to a single wheel with traction. It really is an awesome system and totally wasted in Australia in little cars.
FollowupID: 808867

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 06:41

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 06:41
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0

A terribly produced piece of extremely Subaru biased advertorial but it has some good info amongst it.
FollowupID: 808868

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 22:51

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 22:51
Here's a good indication of traction....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRniF4JQN2U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Land Rover Freelander 2 and Range Rover Evoque both have the LR Terrain Response system and it is the best I have ever seen for all wheel drive cars. I've seen them go up some of the toughest hills around with no low range gearbox and they are tied down very tight on gravel roads. Auto transmission, 400+ nm torque, light weight and fantastic traction system they are very capable.

The new Subi XV was out on a trip with us late last year and handled itself very well, but the great traction system was let down by a lack of torque on steeper climbs. If you don't have torque then you do need low range when the going gets tough.
AnswerID: 526630

Reply By: Road Warrior - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 22:57

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 22:57
I think Ford did a good job in sorting the Territory's AWD system when they made the Turbo Territory - basically an XR6 Turbo AWD. The AFP certainly liked them.

AnswerID: 526631

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 09:56

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 09:56
Like others on this post, I'm a big fan of Subaru as an all purpose vehicle. We've had six of them over the years - 3 Outbacks, 2 Imprezas and a turbo Forester - and all performed faultlessly in a variety of conditions. Even did quite a bit of dirt towing around the Gulf and the Kimberley, as well as back home in Tas, with the Outbacks and Forester, and didn't miss a beat.
But agree when you get to the rugged off-road tough stuff you need the traditional four-wheel drive set up with low range and all the extra kit, which is why we use the trusty Hilux.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux pulling AOR Eclipse
Black Wolf 210 tent

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526647

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)