Arkpak with Solar - MPPT + Their Charger or CTEK 250 duel

Submitted: Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:16
ThreadID: 106285 Views:4463 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I recently purchased an Arkpak as a portable camping solution. One of the main uses will be to power my CPAP machine at night so a duel battery system stuck to the car wasn't going to be as handy. I also have a 120w solar which I will use to keep the battery topped up at camp. I set it up on the weekend but found that the MPPT seems to have gone a bit dodgy - the digital read out wan't working correctly. So I may be up for a replacement.

I haven't bought the Arkpak DC-DC charger as yet, as most of my upcoming trips don't really need it however if I was thinking perhaps a CTEK 250 Duel may be a better option anyway. It has a higher charge rate at 20amps than the 6amps provided by the Arkpak and can also act as an MPPT for the solar.

Has anyone with a portbable battery setup, like the Arkpak, gone down this road and are you happy with the results?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 15:27

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 15:27
Hi Lazybugger,

I also have an Arkpak which I use to power both a fridge and a CPAP. I don't use solar but do use a CTEK 250 Duel to recharge the ArkPak. I have set up an Anderson plug in the back of the car which I then run to the Anderson connector on the ArkPak. This charges the ArkPak easily and even in the middle of summer do not have any power issues with either the fridge or the CPAP after 2 nights. If staying put for more than 2 nights I usually run the car for a drive somewhere and this recharges the ArkPak.

I did not go down the path of the DC-DC charger supplied by ArkPak as it is only 6amps and I thought the 20Amps provided by the CTEK would be much more useful. At this stage I have not bothered about solar but who known down the track when I start to stay longer without running the car.

All the best,

Sn00py2
AnswerID: 526668

Follow Up By: Lazybugger - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 15:42

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 15:42
Thanks Snoopy

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Good to hear you can run the fridge at the same time as well. Do you mind if I ask what size battery you are using? I only went for the 95a/h rather than 120, purely looking at the weight and my skinny arms.

The only fridge we have at the moment is the blue dometic/chescold 3 way, which suits us as I usually prefer longer stays than touring. I might get a 12v model in the future.
FollowupID: 808931

Follow Up By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 20:26

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 20:26
Hi lazy bigger, I have a 100amp Remco deep cycle battery, the fridge is a Waeco cf40 and the Capp is a Resmed s80. The Capp has a 12 volt input so I don't use the inverter. This makes it more efficient

Regards
FollowupID: 808988

Reply By: Geoff H18 - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 20:08

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 20:08
Hi Lazybugger
I wonder if we are related, as the minister of war and finance calls me lazy bast@#d.From what I have heard the inverter in the ark pack is not pure sine.I have the blue ark pack that is set up to be charged from solar and mains when connected.I have connected a 300 watt Projecta Pure Sine inverter to this that will run the cpap.In the pack I have a 120 agm
regards
AnswerID: 526685

Reply By: Lazybugger - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 15:14

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 15:14
Here is a silly follow up question.

Can the Ctek be connected using the Cig Socket in the rear cargo area?

I believe the Arkpak DC charger can but it is only running 6 amps as opposed to the 20amps on CTEK 250 duel puts out.

The car is a 2011 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I only have 12 months left on a novated lease so would prefer not to spend money on a solution that ends up permanently fixed. Something that I can easily remove and take to the next car (whatever that is) would be preferred.
AnswerID: 526730

Sponsored Links