Pressure Hatch

Submitted: Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 17:53
ThreadID: 106287 Views:4232 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, just sold our Kimberley Karavan and have bought a new Option RV Traction 18' dual axle off road van, it has no pressure Hatch fitted .
We are travelling to W.A again from Qld around April and will be returning via Great Central Hwy and Plenty Hwy my concern is Dust! Has technology changed with these new vans re dust proofing, !!! or should I be doing preventative measures.
Any advise or suggestions will appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 18:55

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 18:55
Depends how good your seals are I reckon, and how well you look after them - we have no pressure hatch in either the TVan or the canopy, and both stay sealed tight as a drum. No problems with dust anywhere we've travelled, including the Cape, the Kimberley and the Simpson.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526681

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 19:32

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 19:32
Yep.....what wildtrax said.

Good seals = no dust, unless you don't close something properly.

Some vans need positive pressure fan systems probably because seals are not up to the job or have gaps in the construction process.

We have not had the slightest bit of dust, and have been exposed to plenty of corrugations and huge amounts of bull dust.

What did the manufacturer say ?

Brett...
AnswerID: 526682

Follow Up By: DiscoTourer - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 19:33

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 19:33
Ooppss....wildmax!
FollowupID: 808980

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 22:57

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 22:57
My guess is it will fill with dust on the roads you mention. Dust proofing is hard to achieve within 'standard' van building methods ....some people tape up windows and hatch seals (I know of people smearing window seals with vaseline) .....putting sink plugs in can help too. Low pressure zones on the van's outer skin while mobile are the killer.
I opted for a pressurising 'scupper' hatch and then supplemented that with a scoop....that setup works extremely well for us on the worst dusty roads and we can practically rely on a dust free interior (we close everything and temporarily tape up the door vent to allow internal pressure to establish.
AnswerID: 526698

Follow Up By: Racey - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 08:55

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 08:55
Hi Darian,

I've been thinking about a scoop for sometime, any chance of a photo(s) of what you did?

Cheers
Jon
FollowupID: 809029

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 18:23

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 18:23
Our van came with the scupper. On a later visit to the factory, I had them fit the scoop, just to improve air capture. As for the comments here about well built vans not needing any dust control measures - I only know mine, and while I consider it well built, the off-the-shelf Camec window and door seals are certainly not airtight.

Re the scoop above, mounted at the leading edge of the roof; you can see the opened scupper, inside the scoop grille - note that when the scupper flap is closed (down), it reveals a hole in the rear of the scoop, allowing air to pass through (reducing drag).

Inside view of the scupper above, flap opened. The scupper vents come in two parts as I see it - one would need to cut a square hole in the van roof and slide the two parts in - one from above - one from below. Waterproof, UV stable, high strength adhesives are used outside - just screws inside it would appear. Whatever..... I can't see brands names on my fittings, but if you search the web for Camec and/or Fiamma vents etc. you'll see various offerings. Best of luck with it.
FollowupID: 809088

Follow Up By: Racey - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 09:01

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 09:01
Darian, Thanks for the pics and explanation.
FollowupID: 809134

Reply By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 07:35

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 07:35
Thanks for the feed back , the scupper sounds like the best way to go , did you cover the fridge vents also?
Cheers Joe
AnswerID: 526702

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 08:28

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 08:28
We don't need to cover our fridge vents (compressor fridge in use - it has hot weather hatches that seal when closed). I don't know what folks do with the fixed open fridge vents - sealing them up would compromise the fridge while mobile, I presume. The general idea though is that all openings need to be covered to get that bit of internal pressure. Maybe have a look on caravanersforum.com (technical) as well.
FollowupID: 809028

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:06

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:06
The fridge vents top and bottom on our van are open to the outside but the fridge outer cabinet is sealed to the inside of the van so any dust only enters in that compartment.
With a pressure vent, even though high mounted, I would have though that dust from passing vehicles could be a problem unless a filter of some sort was used. Yes/No???

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 809047

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:59

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:59
Yes indeed Pop - dust can get in through the scoop/scupper - if we can't practically avoid the odd minor dust cloud from oncoming vehicles, we have to live with that - but it can be minimised as an issue by slowing right down. If we see a road train coming and the dust is our side, we try and do a brief stop.
FollowupID: 809053

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:29

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:29
IMHO, Any manufacturer who fits a 'pressure hatch' as standard is admitting their vans are not well sealed. The little scoops they fit will never built up sufficient pressure inside a van unless the scoop opening is considerably larger than the gas vent in the lower part of the door. Further on dusty roads with traffic the air scoop will work like a vacuum cleaner sucking in dust.

The standard Camec type windows if properly looked after let in very very little dust. If dust becomes a problem you can do a couple of things, make a temporary seal over the gas vent - fit only when travelling with the gas off and make sure you remove it as soon as you stop. Spent time with a caulking gun sealing any spots you can find.

Well built van do not suck up dust.

John
AnswerID: 526709

Reply By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 17:51

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 17:51
Many thanks to you all, I have spent the morning checking everything ,well sealed under, will just see how we go .

Safe Travelling to you all.

Cheers Joe.
AnswerID: 526745

Sponsored Links