Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:24
ThreadID: 106294 Views:1457 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all : The map shown here in "EOTopo online" is that the actual map view that you get when you buy EOTopo , I'm looking at Southend in the south east of S.A that i know tracks well @ 1k 100 % zoom ,is this maximum map view ? if NO , can someone post 100% view of the area . Are the maps routable ?
cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:02

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:02
Hello

Sorry cant help with all your query but can say that the maps are not "routable". While the online version is in vector format, the maps are supplied in raster format (i.e. an "image" like a digital picture) and don't have any associated information that would allow for routes to be calculated automatically. Also zooming in on raster maps will not provide any more details - its all there to see in the first instance, though getting closer allows you to distinguish between features more clearly (like holding a magnifying glass to a paper map). How close you can zoom in is dependent on the viewing program you are using and the resolution of the map image. In OziExplorer you are limited to a 200% zoom with the original 250K topo..not sure of the limit for EOtopo ...but anything past 200% is likely to result in a blurry (pixelated) mess.

Keep in mind EOTopo is based on 250K map data with more detailed additions made in select areas from GPS data taken from ExplorOz user treks notes....so in some areas there will be more detail than available on the standard 250K topo and in other areas there will be no difference i.e. many roads and tracks that you know of could be missing. If you are limiting your activities to a certain area there maybe other map sets available with more detail, but maybe not - depends what area.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526715

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:04

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:04
Nick,

The online version is derived from the same data sources as the 200K product - the actual 100% zoom equates to approx the 5km zoom level however it shows the 1km zoom detail - this is due to higher resolution output of the information. So in reality what you see on the 1km level is the basically what you get on 200K.

Is there something wrong or missing? We are about to start the next rounds of updates for the 2014.4 release so anything that can be attended to now is the time to let us know.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526716

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 20:48

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 20:48
thanks for the reply's , We can look forward to this development of this .
This over laid on contour & osp would look good !!
cheers

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 809114

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 22:05

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 22:05
typo OSM , maps
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 809121

Sponsored Links