1hz to 1hd-fte

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 23:19
ThreadID: 106303 Views:20068 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
i`ve got a LC hzj105 series 1Hz with DTS turbo kit. Im planning to convert 1Hz to 1Hd-Fte.
i know its a big job but i will be chasing damage vehicle from auction. i found land cruiser HDJ79 single cab(damage) with 1hd-Fte engine in it but don't know about wiring loom how its going to work. should i try to find 100 series or ute will do my conversation. any suggestions?
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 23:54

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 23:54
Try the land cruiser forum.
AnswerID: 526772

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 00:56

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 00:56
Mark,

Auto or manual?
If auto the transmission should be ok. If manual I would suggest upgrading to a H150 or H151 gearbox such as the petrol engines or turbo diesels have.
The 1HD-FTE engines in the 100 series have an intercooler whereas the same engine ex a 70 series do not. From memory the non intercooled is 126 kw and the intercooled ex the 100 series is something like 156 kw. Can't remember the torque figures. Probably not a big mod to up the 70 series engine.
If changing manual gearboxes and transfer cases just be aware the transfer gearshift is in a different spot 100 to 70 series and some do not have the mounting points to swap them over.

Personally I would look for an engine complete with wiring harness and gearbox/transfer from a 100 series. Then a pretty simple transplant.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 526773

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:44

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:44
As mentioned, lcool.org is the go..... then read up in the 100's section....its free to join...I'd be surprised if someone hasn't done the same and documented the job...either way, you'll get plenty of valuable tips.
AnswerID: 526774

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 07:49

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 07:49
Plan the whole thing through Mark, it may cost more than you think and may not deliver what you want.

My brother put 1HD-Fte into his 80 series which is an even bigger job , came up well but it then broke the gearbox and needed a matching one - also because ratios aren't quite right.

At end of day its a good package but quite honestly still can't match my near standard patrol in terms power or performance and while its fuel consumption is better it will never pay for itself (Patrol is 4800 petrol).

Another friend has just tossed his 4.2 diesel engine out and fitted 4800 Patrol petrol engine also and he is on top of the moon.

There are many small details to contend with and you need to carefully weight up if what you intend will deliver what you expect.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526776

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 19:14

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 19:14
Oohh Robin, you just said that dirty word, "Petrol", go wash your mouth out. LOL

I am with you all the way.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809185

Reply By: Womb@t - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 22:40

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 22:40
Gday Mark , All the information required to do this transplant you'll find on LCOOL.org

Its been done 100s of times already.......... sign up on the forum and read away in the 100 series section . Every little detail from nuts and bolts to wiring etc

79 series donks have been fitted too but the 100 series(HDJ100) 1HD-FTE to HZJ105 is probably easiest

My turbo'd 1HZ decided to let a ring go @290,000km so I to searched for a donor series 100 ........ found one with 300k on the clock and pick it up for 8k at auction (stat write off).
I did the complete conversion myself with the help of all the info on LCOOL and its helpful members

You'll need the sump and engine mounts off your 1HZ to go on the 1HD-FTE and if you wana swap from a manual to auto be prepared to move your gearbox cross member forward 75mm and do a little manipulation to your tranny tunnel ! Wiring loom Is made up of a combination of the 1HD-FTE engine/gearbox loom wired up with HZJ loom - Track down THRASHLUX (Jonathan) on Lcool and he makes up the looms for a small fee - well worth the dollars as he preps the looms so its virtually plug and play with I think 4-5 wires to solder in under the dash , even got cruise control running.
All in all I'm absolutely stoked with the outcome ................... now running a retuned/reprogrammed Dtronic chip- just dynoed in @ 130kw 1034nm peak torque on all 4 wheels . Sure to leave any 4800 patrols for dead lol

feel free to pm me to exchange mobile number if you've got any additional questions
cheers Chris
AnswerID: 527503

Sponsored Links