Will you survive?

The weather has gone crazy all over the world. Birds are dropping out of the sky. Sink holes are appearing in the ground. Some say the end of the world is near. Could you survive? One of the things many people rely on is technology. Gps,s phones, computers, etc. We go to the shop to buy food. Turn a tap on for a drink.
We all have a love of travelling. Even without the end of the world, how many of us know what to do without all our mod cons? Even something as simple as getting lost in the bush? Could you find food? Water? Shelter?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael K (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 14:08

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 14:08
The unthinkable but a time to really reconnect with nature and people...peace
AnswerID: 526797

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:11

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:11
Not such a bad thing hey Michael.
It would certainly sort out the motivated lateral thinkers from the blood sucking leeches of society.

How will we ever survive without politicians?

Fab.
FollowupID: 809252

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 14:26

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 14:26
To quote

"We’ll all be rooned," said Hanrahan
In accents most forlorn
Outside the church ere Mass began
One frosty Sunday morn.

By PJ Hatigan

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526798

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 19:05

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 19:05
Hahahaha totally agree there Dodger, We'll all be roooned,
"with which astute remark,
he squatted on his haunches and chewed a piece of bark"

The end has been neigh since Adam was a boy.

Carry a pencil I say.LOL

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809183

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 14:40

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 14:40
" Could you find food? Water? Shelter? "

G/day SDG I am certainly having a go, I use the rule that you can not survive more than 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 30 days without food, these are of course under extreme circumstances and not typical.

Could I yes.

Phill
AnswerID: 526800

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 14:41

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 14:41
Sorry 30 days without food.
FollowupID: 809155

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 20:49

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 20:49
You forgot the one about 30 seconds without internet and/or cell phone.

Phil
FollowupID: 809190

Reply By: John and Regina M - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 15:16

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 15:16
Someone's bored.
AnswerID: 526804

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 15:43

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 15:43
Nah, it was just a question, resulting from some observations with some teenagers the other day. We were having a practical lesson on different ways a fire could be lit, with none of them knowing any other way except matches/lighters. Obviously the discussion went to other survival techniques.
What made me laugh was when one of them said if they need to learn how to do something they will google it.
FollowupID: 809161

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:29

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:29
SDG,

Interesting subject, and some of the replies too!!!

Talking of lighting fires reminded me of a day, in early '70's, we were mustering along the East Baines River(NT), and at dinner camp, found that no one had any matches.

The boys preferred "niki-niki" (black chewing tobacco), and unusually for that decade, none of the white fellars smoked either. One of the boys got some dried pea bush (Sesbania Cannabina), rounded off the end of one piece, and split the second piece, to expose the soft inner pith. Another had gathered some dry grass, and rubbed this roughly in his hands, to make a grassy, powder mix.

After much rubbing of the rounded-end stick on the other piece, needing a couple of changes of hands too, the ground end and powdered grass started to smoulder. Some careful huffing 'n puffing had the lot alight after perhaps 15-20 minutes.

And we then boiled the billies.........

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 809270

Reply By: Ali Ree - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 17:32

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 17:32
Maybe human beings will be destroyed by science and technology which they have been proud of some day, the world getting so crazy, just make the most of everyday.
AnswerID: 526811

Reply By: Dingojim - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 18:45

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 18:45
Up until we went full time on the road 12 months ago we lived near a small coastal village in NQ. I used to reckon 50% of the population walked around saying "the world ends tomorrow" while the other 50% shuffled around saying "the world ended yesterday". Is it possible this forum has been infiltrated by some of these beings ? I don't care one little bit because tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life and I AM GOING TO LIVE IT.
AnswerID: 526821

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 18:52

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 18:52
To many gold tops and blue meanies causes that outlook. Especially where you lived. Ha Ha.
FollowupID: 809182

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 19:19

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 19:19
Its interesting that in the US there is quite an industry supplying the quite large community of "preppers". That is people who think that the colapse of civilisation either on a wide or local scale is a very real posibility.

These people are constantly stashing away non perisable food, water and fire arms.

A hell of a lot of them are building bunkers.

Seriously.

But I do get the point that the basic skills of survival are just unknown to the newer generations.

They are consumed with their computers, game consoles and mobile phones.

HELL I know full grown men that own neither a hammer, a screwdriver or something to dig with.

In terms of vary basic household maintenance they are completly helpless...God help em if they ever had to kill, clean and cook a chook.

We are into the second & third generation of women that when presented with the realities of meat production decide that they want to be vegitarians....there are men with the same view...but less common.

The funny thing is that while they may have grasped the "realities of meat production", they will never grasp the realities of manual production of a vegitarian diet.

I recon if most of them even had a taste of the amount of digging and hard work required to grow enough vegitable food....they would find meat a whole lot more attractive.

cheers
AnswerID: 526822

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 20:05

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 20:05
There was an article in one of the American papers a few years back, warning people that if they see a large group of zombies walking on the highway, not to worry. A show was being made. I'm guessing it was The Walking Dead. People are preparing for this, for real. Even the Government has a plan just in case.

And you got my point. I'm guessing you can kill, clean, and cook a chook?
FollowupID: 809189

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:26

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:26
Yep, I don't claim to be particulartly good at it, or to enjoy it.....but if needs must yes.

For those who may need to......it is reasonable to skin the little bugger rather than pluck it....quicker and less messy.

I guess the Americans have more of a reason to fear the break down of civil order.

cheers
FollowupID: 809206

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 19:56

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 19:56
I'm ok SDG , I was out picking Blackberries off the roadside saturday.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526823

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:17

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:17
I well remember a guest speaker at our 4WD club some time back who was , among other things, a survival expert.

His comments in relation to your original posting was along the lines that those most reliant on modern technology (read Gen Y'ers ... with apologies to the delicate) would be, in his opinion, the first to succumb. According to his theory, this would all start to happen within 48 hours of water stopping to flow.

Of course all the madness and evil in man's nature would be well to the fore by that time. However I do believe those who grew up in the 50s and 60s would likely stand a better chance, plus those youngsters who were active Scouts or who undertook similar activities.

However, having said all that, it is a most unsettling scenario to contemplate.
AnswerID: 526835

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 23:25

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 23:25
Well for 6 months of the year I do not see anyone, or go to shops or need to talk to anyone on the phone. I am by myself look after myself and need no outside help. I use my own grown produce and kill my own beef, collect my own water from a spring and use a solar panel to be able to post this message. I hate it when I go back to the city. But send out the city people out here and they will stave, go made or start talking to themselves.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526839

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 07:53

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 07:53
It is theorized by some that the complete collapse of technology is a regular occurrence throughout the universe. Fermi, one of the people who developed the A-bomb posed the question "where are they?" when a group talking suggested that statistically there must be many planets such as ours throughout the universe. If there have been billions of years for civilizations to develop, we should be able to at least pick up alien radio broadcasts of some kind. Technically, you would think there should be hoards of alien grey nomads checking out we Earth retards. Instead, there is nothing. Technology will kill us, either by blowing us up, or causing a super germ due to the widespread misuse of antibiotics or many other reasons. We might simply run out of fuel. Our trip back to the stone age rests on a knifes edge really. Civilization is a very complex machine with many linked parts when you think about it. If any of the links break, it all comes tumbling down. My wife reckons that if there were no hot showers, then life isn't worth living anyway and she would be happy to exit.:-)
AnswerID: 526845

Reply By: Penchy - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:01

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:01
I know I probably couldn't. But then again, imagine how pissed off I would be at myself if I spent a great deal of time and effort learning and practising how to survive un assisted in the bush, and then living until I was 100 and the world does noes not collapse on itself. What could I have done with that time and effort that could have been put to a better use than preparing for something that didn't happen?

I remember that aftermath of 9/11 when the media would proclaim that another terrorist attack was imminent. Rubbish bins were removed from train stations and many people stayed indoors. How many train stations (or other) in Australia have been blown up since then?

Back on topic. Do you think the weather has gotten worse, or do you think the ability to communicate the weather has vastly improved. So much so that when an event occurs on the other side of the world we are aware of the details almost instantly. If you start to worry about what MIGHT happen in your life, you are clearly not focussed on what you are doing right now.
AnswerID: 526846

Reply By: Kerry W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:05

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:05
Good Question SDG

I think the real problems will different to what you'd expect especially once natural selection starts to work again.

From my experience the least of the problems in the worst case scenario will be the lack of mod cons and technology.
Irrespective of failure of technology, fuel, supply chains and social order the downfall of most people today will be their lack of physical endurance and strength and mental toughness and lateral thinking/problem solving ability.

(...........re-reads what he just wrote....hmm sounds like an over reliance on technology when I put it like that...)

"IF" it came to hunting for now depleted fish stocks and almost extinct wildlife (kangaroos and rabbits excepted thanks to cane toads and deforestation) the pickings are pretty grim in the most populated areas of the country. Even back in the seventies there was little sustaining food for more than a few individuals to be found in the remaining bush and ocean on the populated coastal areas. (personal experience from Army survival courses around NSW south coast) Water supplies are inconsistent too.

The real issue will be people having the strength to actually physically work the ground to grow crops or chase up an animal , sure they would get fitter but many urban dwellers today will injure their backs or joints doing hard physical labour, as they have not developed strength in their tendons joints and heart muscle.

Once injured few would be able to get help or continue sustaining themselves.

Our societies reliance on medicines and sedatives would necessitate quite a torrent of withdrawal cases and a rise in deaths from infections.
Obviously those who keep fit by working in manual jobs and on the land would fare well and they would continue to supply the needy with meat and veggies - but the majority of our population does not want to/no longer able to? work hard. (which is why the fruit industry now employs foreign backpackers to harvest crops which up until the mid 70s were harvested by hardworking Aussies).
Most would get quite a shock to discover how uncomfortable and physically draining it is to be forced by necessity do heavy work outdoors on a hot sunny day!

The current nanny state has eliminated natural selection so a readjustment would occur.
A more resilient population would soon re-emerge I'm sure.

There is really no humane solution to the issues of overpopulation.
Having said all this humans ARE resourceful and determined ...so who really knows....
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526872

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:43

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:43
I disagree I think come the apocolypse hunting food in an urban environment would be quite easy

all our rivers and lakes around perth are full of waterfowl,
once the comercial fishing industry was gone the fish would bounce back like those rubber balls,
abandined cats and dogs would breed like flys and become prey for us
FollowupID: 809246

Follow Up By: Kerry W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:10

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:10
Ha HA I assume you are taking the .... For how long and how many people do you want to feed?
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809250

Follow Up By: Penchy - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:26

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:26
I disagree also.
Natural Selection - is the gradual process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of the effect of inherited traits on the differential reproductive success of organisms interacting with their environment.
I interpret that to be an organism in an hostile environment will have less chance of reproductive success. A large population with limited food supply would quickly become a hostile environment. The strong and the cunning would survive, all others will perish. Of course this is all hypothertical so this theory has no more merrit than the next one until proven.
FollowupID: 809253

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:46

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:46
depends what scenario your talking

im thinking armegeddon type thing like walking dead or falling skys where many people are wiped out and all functioning services cease leaving Perth just to some survivors

FollowupID: 809272

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:48

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:48
Id take over Rottenest - fortify it from boat people and live off off sea food and quokkas
FollowupID: 809273

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:50

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:50
Good Heavens, what next? Man-eating gheckos?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 809274

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:02

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:02
FORUM RULES: "This Forum is for discussing issues relevant to self-drive camping/caravanning adventures in Australia."

What on earth has this topic got to with ExplorOz?
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 526882

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:11

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:11
90% of what is posted on this forum will end up off topic, so take a chill pill, as they say if you don't like it don't read it. :)
FollowupID: 809251

Follow Up By: Kerry W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:43

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:43
Self sufficiency is the topic SDG did ask what if we did get lost in the bush.

Didn't plan on finding bush tucker for half the population of Oz
We have strayed a bit. LOL
Kerry W (Qld)
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809257

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 15:02

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 15:02
Human beings destroyed by technology?
"Preppers" in the USA?
Helpless in household maintenance?
Zombies?
Breakdown of civil order?
Madness & evil in Man's nature?
Alien broadcasts?
Widespread misuse of antibiotics?
9/11 aftermath & removal of rubbish bins?
Nanny State elimination of natural selection?
Overpopulation?

All that from "getting lost in the bush".
Didn't say I did not like it. Just asked what that lot had to do with ExplorOz.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 809260

Follow Up By: Member - Steve Fourbyfour - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 17:49

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 17:49
I agree Allan, but I think the original question was reasonably on topic. And yes, a very enjoyable read - from my perspective at least Gen X wasn't vilified. ??
FollowupID: 809281

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 18:01

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 18:01
Yes Steve, the original post was fine.
At least your dog looks amused! LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 809285

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 18:24

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 18:24
Mate, I did say alien grey nomads...and they should be exploring....oz maybe? Also, I was assuming the alien broadcasts were on a HF band of course. :-)
FollowupID: 809289

Sponsored Links