One to think about?, the best auto ever put in a 4by or sedan??

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:33
ThreadID: 106327 Views:2800 Replies:11 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
The five speed auto toyo box, is the smoothest i've ever had, but there are a few things that can go wrong,....When I think about total reliability! my old valiant torque flite8 is probably the most reliable gearbox I've had considering the 300,000ks run up with bugger all servicing,....The ZF auto fitted to the early landrovers has a good reputation with most repairers as well from what I hear.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:35

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:35
Hang on its only Wednesday...

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526829

Follow Up By: Axle - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:01

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:01
Sorry about this.....LOL.

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 809202

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 17:29

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 17:29
The best Auto I have ever driven was the first old Hydromatic in the EK holden, We had one on the farm as Lads, could go down the side road at 50 mph and just click it up to reverse and pedal to the metal, the old EK would come to a nice smooth stop and then gradually accelerate backwards, probably lucky the old grey motor had no horsepower to speak of otherwise we might have broken it.
FollowupID: 809279

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 17:57

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 17:57
Ross, they were the ones they used to call sludgeomatic.

It only took three city blocks to change from one gear to the next.

The 2 speed power glide had a good reputation and the cabbies loved them I believe back in the day. They were popular in drag cars too I think.

I always liked the autos in the Ford Customline autos, after 56 that is. They were precise and crisp and went in with a thump as I recall.
You knew you had changed gear in those autos.

Axle you are right, these 5 speed boxes in the Cruisers are brilliant. Clean smooth and precise and you do not hear of many if any problems with them. Their predecessors, the three speed with overdrive, had a very good reputation as well. I have had both.

We pull bigger loads with the cars today than we did back in the 60s 70s and 80s so more problems should be the norm today given what is asked of them.

Chrysler always made good vehicles even if a little thirsty. Built tough for the long haul. Nearly as good as a modern Cruiser, but then I am biased.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809282

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:38

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:38
You need to drive the slick GU Patrol auto in the 4800 petrol Axle (The 5 speed one not the 4 speed clunker fitted in the diesels)
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526831

Follow Up By: Axle - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:05

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:05
Mate I'm not up to speed with your Inventions!...Lol.

Looking at a 4.8 pedo GU the other day.....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 809203

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:41

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:41
So Axle, when you say "can go wrong" do you mean you have had them go wrong or just the potential to misbehave.

How many k's has the toyo (sic) done and what dramas, if I may be so bold?

Not trying to stick up for, or stick it up Toyotas just curious.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 526832

Follow Up By: Axle - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:59

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 21:59
Pop ,There is a prob in the valve body, at times , you will proceed off a flat area and proceed up a incline, and the thing stays in say third gear and won't change either way, ...stop turn engine off and all is well again and will be for the next two months!, ..There is a modification for them but at this stage its not to worrying, and besides I'm a tight a@@@res

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 809201

Reply By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:13

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:13
Axle

The Chrysler torqueflite was a very well regarded gearbox in its time as I recall. I was only a kiddy at the time but I was very taken with the Valiant S series with the buttons on the dash for the auto trans. There is one lives near me and I see it on the road occasionally and it always raises a smile.
Holden's Trimatic was a Great Leap Forward when it arrived with the HQ. Three speed auto! what are the Germans up to now? Eight, nine?

Cheers
AnswerID: 526834

Follow Up By: Axle - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:30

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:30
Hi Rocco, ...All in the past now, but its takes some digesting when they talk about eight speed autos!!,

Ummm as I recall the trimatic name was slightley changed to TRAUMATIC!...LOL.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 809207

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 18:05

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 18:05
Hey Rocco I think the Trimatic came out in the HT HG HK or 68 69 and 70 series didn't they.

The one before in the HD and HR was a powerglide and only 2 speed. I was told by some mechanic that the cabbies at that time loved them. Not sure why. Might have been fuel consumption or something.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809287

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 18:42

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 18:42
Bruce

My dad had a HK with the two speed Powerglide then a HQ with the Trimatic, i didn't know the Trimatic was available before that.

I did a google and it seems the Trimatic came with the HG but was an option on the Belmont and Kingswood and only standard on the Premier and Brougham. The earlier HT also was a Great Leap Forward because it had synchro on first in the three speed manual box. Wow!

Remember the Brougham? An extra few inches length in the boot meant "luxury".

Old Holdens were virtually indestructible, so I don't doubt cabbies loved them. I can remember riding in 15 year old HQ cabs in Adelaide in the 80s, god knows how many km they had done, they were very loose.

Ah, memories ...

Cheers
FollowupID: 809293

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 19:55

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 19:55
Rocco we had several ex cabs in the family back then, some autos and a manual.
My father had an ex cab and I think it was a HK but definitely had a trimatic. You were right to say loose, it sure was.

The mate had a trimatic in his HK/HT as well. I thought it was fitted to all the vehicles in that series as I do not recall seeing a powerglide badge on any of them. We live and we learn.

It was certainly fitted fitted right throughout the series from HQ through to WB as I had one of each as a company vehicle back then.
They went to all autos from HQ onwards in the company as they were guaranteed for 40,000 miles back then so no clutch replacements needed during the life of ownership with the company vehicles.

Speaking of BroughamsI think the first really distinctive and good looking executive vehicle Holden made was the WB statesman.

They still look good even today and I wonder why they do not bring a better price second hand in the veteran and restoration market.

If I was heading that way that is what I would get.

That whole series from HQ on were the best and toughest cars Holden ever made with complete or virtually complete chassis under every one, sedans had a composite chassis as I recall. Their only problem was that they were underpowered given their weight with the 202 motor.
Yep, you're right... ah, the memories.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809301

Follow Up By: Axle - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 21:14

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 21:14
They had two probs Bruce..lol, .....underpowered,and that steering!! My Gawd they where heavy

Axle.
FollowupID: 809310

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:22

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:22
Geeez Axle I had forgotten that, too right they were heavy.
Probably explains why we were all skinny back then. You didn't need a gym. A quick trip down to the shops in one of them was all the workout you needed. Now they put power steering into cars the size of minis. I always thought that was a waste of effort but then some of the girls probably appreciated the benefit.

I have a DVD, a doco on the Flying 18 footers on Sydney harbour back in the late 70s. It is amazing to see how thin the general population was back then also the flair bottom trousers and long hairdoos are good for a giggle.
Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809327

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 17:42

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 17:42
Mate we where all skinny in those days,.......Because everything was done manually, Technology has stopped the natural exercise we all had to do.

Cheers
FollowupID: 809347

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:44

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:44
I put over half a million km on a (Ford) C4 behind a 302 Clevo in a XB Fairmont wagon..

Included in this was 2x return trips from SW WA to FNQ & 1x one-way trip (that's 5 crossings of the continent) towing a 2-ton trailer... (Aaah, the memories....;-))

Vehicle was over 20 yrs old when I 'retired' it in '96, and the transmission had never been touched, apart from the odd ATF change.. I did have an aux. trans. cooler..
Everything I've heard & read indicates that these trannys enjoyed a very good reputation for reliability.. Certainly so in my experience.

I'm led to believe the C6 (bigger, heavier, & stronger) was just that much more of a 'Good Thing'.

GM's Turbo 400 series also enjoyed a good rep. I believe, though I have no first-hand knowledge of these..

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526836

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:41

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:41
The Ford C4 always was and always will be a highly regarded transmission. Still sought after today by drag racers and the car scene.

Only had one FMX-equipped car and was much the same.

Borg Warner 35 and BW40 was ok I guess, but the ratios seemed to be a bit oddly spaced. I.e. the engine always seemed to be out of step with the trans. This is 6cyl Falcons I'm talking about.

The Traumatic in Dad's early Commodore was a bit loose, not as smooth as the BW35/40 but seemed to do a better job of making the car hustle.

The BTR LE45 4 speed auto in the 1993 V8 Fairmont I had was a brilliant transmission, never carried on or did anything strange, but a previous life of doing 100,000klm around Australia towing a caravan started to show.

4L60E 4 speed auto in the VT Commodore V8 I had was average. Probably tougher than the Ford trans but by no means did the job better. Got really hot and struggled with the torque of the 5.7 V8 that was in the car. Was never as smooth as the Ford one.

4 speed in my BA Ford (95LE??) has probably been the best I've had, like the older Fairmont before it it just works very well and doesn't do any funny things. Likes a trans cooler though, and doesn't like to tow heavy loads. Put more than a tonne behind it and it keeps popping the oil seal around the governor. Will go into 'limp home' mode if driving in say 48 degree heat and you don't do a 'cool down' lap of town first.

We now have a diesel Ford SZ Territory, it uses the Ford 6R80 6 speed auto. It is a licence-built copy of the ZF 6 speed. It can be a bit cantankerous but it does a good job of making the two tonne tank get up and boogie, keeps the engine on the boil if you want and helps make the car more...err, car like to drive, but I have doubts as to its long-term reliability. The benefit of this trans is that it is used in the Mustang and F-Series so if something does break, there is a whole universe of aftermarket strengthening parts available for it ex-US.

I don't think there is any such thing as a "perfect" transmission (maybe a manual lol), it's just that some are better than others.
FollowupID: 809240

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:47

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 22:47
I love the 6 speed tiptronic in my Land Rover but really hate the 6 speed tiptronic DSG in my wife's VW.
AnswerID: 526837

Follow Up By: yarda - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 23:21

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 23:21
I like the dual automated clutch manual gearbox in my wife's vee dub. Cause it's not an auto. Drive it like you are a gentle clutch slipping manual driver and it all makes sense.

Best auto in a fourby or sedan - hmm it's a tough one as in a stock scenario there are many that have a great track record, but I think the early Ford AOD was a nice unit, 4 speed plus lockup convertor for economy but no external electronic control unit needed.
FollowupID: 809210

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 23:55

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 23:55
Yep we didn't like the DSG's when we tested it (but haven't owned a DSG). My wife's Tiguan has a 6 speed Aisan tiptronic torque converter auto - it was the box before the 7-speed DSG. It works like magic - nice changes and provides fairly aggressive engine braking when you want it.
FollowupID: 809212

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 00:32

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 00:32
There's nothing gentle about the way the DSG works in my wife's car. Driving it manually is like putting a psycho in charge of the clutch operations. We had it back to VW saying this can't be right...kangaroo hopping an auto driven manually when in traffic seemed odd but they said it was normal. Bugger that....we prefer to be DSG free after this one.
FollowupID: 809213

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:32

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 14:32
That's funny because I would have said that the DSG in my wife's Golf (2.0 TD) is a beautiful combination. Mind you, ours is a 2007 model so just before the ones they had problems with and not sure if I still want to own the car when it needs repair, but very nice.

Matt.
FollowupID: 809254

Follow Up By: Graeme - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:50

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:50
I like Mikehzz have the 2012 Discovery and positively love the ZF 6 spd auto. I too have a 2.0 TDI Golf with DSG and like it as well as the shifts are smooth. It is a 2008 and have not yet had it serviced as it has only done 45k where the D4 has now done 60k. I will get the box serviced soon on the D4 and the VW when it reaches 50k.
FollowupID: 809329

Reply By: rodnirene - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 23:32

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 23:32
I learnt to drive on HG tri-matic..now driving 6sp auto Colorado. Quite a difference over near 40 years.
AnswerID: 526840

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 09:54

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 09:54
G'day Axle

I'M THINKIN'

Cheers
AnswerID: 526857

Follow Up By: Axle - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 21:17

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 21:17
Lol, Don't wake the neighbours!

Cheers.
FollowupID: 809311

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:34

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:34
My cousin had a HR (Hear it Rusting lol) Holden with a 2 speed Powerglide behind a 186. He had it as a family car/daily driver for some 30 odd years before the dreaded industrial cancer claimed it. The last count I remember was 3 engines or rebuilds and well over half a million miles. Yep no misprint MILES. All he ever did to that auto was replace the front and rear oil seals and changed the fluid a few times.
I believe that tranny was used behind the V8's in the Holdens and Yanky Chevs so I guess the mighty 186 and fairly light body of a HR was a doddle.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 526868

Follow Up By: 671 - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 15:05

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 15:05
They were simple and reliable but the 2 speeds left a lot to be desired behind a little six. They nearly drove us mad with warranty problems though but I don't think it was a design fault. The large diameter oil seal around the high gear clutch drum would come out of its grove on assembly and jam between the drum and the transmission housing. I must have fixed at least a dozen on near new cars.
FollowupID: 809262

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:36

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:36
ZF 8 speed
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526888

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:39

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 16:39
I,ve got the 5 speed Toyo auto in the FJ Cruiser 013 , great box BUT recon that the 5 speed auto box in the 05 Jeep Cherokee CRD is still better….
AnswerID: 526889

Sponsored Links