Inox battery conditioner

Submitted: Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:13
ThreadID: 106350 Views:2215 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
A search failed to locate any recent experiences.

If you have used it on an old "dodgy" battery (not holding charge well - could be a bit of sulphation happening), I'd be interested in hearing how it performed.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:45

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:45
Absolutely brilliant...
Used it on a battery from 1922. Now fully charged and went from 12 to 24V. It even polished the paint for me.

Kills the weeds and fertilizes the indoor plants. Grew me some new hair and restored my faith in mankind.

Just like radiator cleaner, only better.

AnswerID: 526944

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 13:08

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 13:08
Gee John,,I think you are having us on....
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 809331

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 14:02

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 14:02
John and/or Regina,

WOW, that sounds like magical stuff. Must get a bottle or 2.
I certainly could use a bit more hair and my faith restored.
By the way, you are, I hope talking about hair on the head (:=0)
Must admit I got my doubts about the killing weeds AND fertilizing plants but willing to give it a shot.
Now this 12v to 24v battery business. If I only need 12v how do you reckon I'd go cutting the battery in half and using one as a backup??
Never actually tried radiator cleaner as a hair restorer but willing to give it a shot.

Cheers
Pop
0
FollowupID: 809333

Follow Up By: Member -Ted (Vic) - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 14:17

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 14:17
Bit like the fuel additive that boosts the cetane rating of diesel from 46 to 53, Hmmmmmm
0
FollowupID: 809334

Follow Up By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 15:15

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 15:15
What you don't believe in what you are told?????
Must be right as they told us so!!!'
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 809342

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 18:29

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 18:29
Which one of the two of you have been drinking it?
One is not supposed to drink Inox battery conditioner, it does funny things to ones brain.
0
FollowupID: 809395

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:23

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:23
My experience was similar to John and Regina M.

Wait a minute, now that I think about it, I got it at autobarn. I had a marginal battery and used it hoping for some added life. My battery was no longer marginal. It was stuffed in about 1 day.

Now that varnish application for the other bottle. Thanks for the idea John - nahh it will stuff that too.
AnswerID: 526957

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 17:43

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 17:43
Great Stuff, I have since changed my battery over as I had a new dual battery system installed and wanted to start with 2 new fresh batteries but prior to that it worked fantastically. Worth a go.
AnswerID: 526966

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 21:56

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 21:56
If you are interestred in desulphation and battery rejuvination.

Hop onto google and punch in "battery desulphation"....or "battery Rejuvination"

There is a lot to read.

Chemical desulphation V electronic and combinations of both...and all sorts of pros and cons....and there are some cons.

To sumarise.
Sulphation is a very specific condition in batteries.....not all batteries fail due to sulphation..and if you have a far gone battery...there is probaly no help for it.

IF....the battery is suffering from desulphation.....it MAY..be possible to significantly improve its condition...but it is neither, quick, easy or a guaranted thing AND there are drawbacks.

Almost without exception, chemical desulphation will result in loss of capacity and loss of acid...AND complete failure is a reasonable posibility ......but it is reasonably fast.

There are a number of battery remidies...some are nothing but short term fixes that sign the batteries death warrant, some are marginally effective and some just do bugger all.

NOW...there have been changes in the chemistry of batteries, that have achieved significant improvements to battery life and performance......these mostly revolve arround addition of calciium or other metals to the plates and changing from simple hydrochloric acid..to something a little more colplex.

NOW..it may be that inox has some of those chemicals in it.....cant say for sure.

For chemical desulphation the chemical of the moment is "ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid"....all reports are that it is quite effectice...but has the issues mentioned above.

This acid is available, but it is expensive and a little hard to obtain as its self...there are a couple of vendors that supply a product bassed on it......but its hardly worth it unless you have large expensive batteries.


ONTO electronic desulphation.

I am currently doing some experinemts of my own ...and I do have instruments to measure performance....these experiments will take some time.

The problem is that this takes much longer than many want to believe and pretty high energy desulphators are required.

the people who are into this the most are the home built electric vehicle people, the golf buggy enthusiats and the alternative energy enthusiasts.

It is worthwhile, because these people use very large expensive arrays of batteries and it is worth it for them to have a go.

If sucess is forth comming it is reasonable to expect a T105, 225Ah trojan gof cart battery to take a month continuous on a high energy desulphator, to come from a recoverable state to as good as it will get functional state.

When you have a machine that takes between $1500 and $4500 worth of batteries and you have the time and space to reprocess scrounged batteries...it may be a viable thing.


For the rest of us with smallish relativly low cost batteries...its just not worth the bother.

We are better off buying a new good quality modern technology battery and looking after it.


AND...a properly recoveered & reconditioned battery that was a good prospect will never perform as well as a new battery of the same sort.....AND the desulphation may only extend the battery live of 5 years typical out another 2 years tops.


Serioulsy... go buy a new battery and don't be a cheap scate...but a good one.

cheers
AnswerID: 526987

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 13:58

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 13:58
Just a bit of a follow up.

The inox mx2, MSDS, lists Cadminum Sulphate as its only hazardous ingredient less than 5%

it mentions...ingredients not determined to be hazardous.
Water is certain and may be epsom salts....

This would make it a fairly old and pedestrian formulation.

There is a hell of a lot of reading on the net about these sorts of processes.

just for interest this... http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pcaffell/Battery_Maintanence_Tips.pdf.

gives a pretty light over view...it does not discuss the pros and cons much.

As I have mentioned....many of these things "work".
Epsom salts, definitely works( like some other chemical means)...it is not fast and there is loss of reactive material.... the suphate is to my understanding not converted back into active material...thus the loss of capacity.

Electronic desulphation breaks up the resistant sulphates and returns them to active material.
Sulphates are a normal part of lead acid battery operation, but "sulphation" is sulphates that become resistant to the normal chemical cycle.

cheers
1
FollowupID: 809378

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 16:41

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 16:41
Try this link - http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pcaffell/battery_maintanence.htm

(Tip, don't put a full stop at the end of links.)


PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

1
FollowupID: 809389

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 17:17

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 17:17
I tried it on two N70zz batteries, it didn't fix them. Don't waste your money! If they don't fail tomorrow, they probably let you down when you really need them to perform! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

There's time to rest when you're dead,
Get out and do something instead!

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527023

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)