Grey water tanks

Submitted: Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:46
ThreadID: 106356 Views:8142 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I was hoping in someone could tell me where I could buy a portable grey water tank suitable to use when free camping. I have tried the local Bunnings, BCF, and caravan spare parts. Thanks leone
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 17:26

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 17:26
Hullo Leone
We just use a standard 20 litre plastic drum with a square cross section and 50mm diam screw top.
We don't use soap when we shower so that reduces the volume that needs to be collected.
We also scrape the dishes clean of any solids (into a plastic bag) prior to washing up with a frugal amount of water.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 526963

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 07:00

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 07:00
There is nothing that beats the KISS principle is there Andrew.
Simple is best most of the time.
This will be my solution should I need one.

Most of the time you do not need a grey water tank but for those rare occasions you do, the old 20ltr container is a beauty. Dam cheap too.

Yep, ticks all the boxes in the KISS principle and very easily emptied also.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809364

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 18:24

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 18:24
See auction number 261094907227 on ebay.
AnswerID: 526972

Reply By: Tony F8 - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 18:40

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 18:40
Leone,
You could try Enmach in Bundaberg Qld, I have purchased tanks from them for diesel and water, in my opinion they are better than boab, they service is second to none and very reasonably priced, if they don't have what your after in their range, they will make it to your dimensions. Plus you get a free bag of allens lollies with your purchase, that didit for me. They will freelygive you all the info you require ifyou have any queries.
Drive safe.
Ony F8
AnswerID: 526973

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 22:26

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 22:26
If it's only shower and wash up water, tip it on a tree as you acquire it, why carry excess weight around. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526989

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 22:33

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 22:33
Hi Leone

You can get the 40 litre portable ones with wheels from camping stores, eBay, Topbuy, or Caravan Plus, but with all the publicity about the evils of grey water and on a number of campgrounds specifying self containment (some have a dump point on site) the price seems to have risen dramatically since last year. They are a great idea for places where self containment is required as it means you don't have to move your caravan every time you need to empty the grey water tank. I have a number of links to these outlets if you are able to contact me.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526991

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 17:33

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 17:33
You have to laugh! Removing a few litres of grey water from camp sites is really over the top! Especially if its a bush camp! An hour of sunshine and its all over. A 10 metre walk into the the adjacent bush is all that's needed I would think. If we think its OK to still bury toilet waste and then have to carry out grey water, then I think some of these new rules need a re-think! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 809394

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 22:12

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 22:12
Hi Michael

In most places yes, and easy to do with a bucket while the water is fresh, and better for the land dumped in small quantities than a lot after a few days. In some areas it is not suitable, and of those that specify self contained a number of them guessing at about half, have a dump point on site suitable to grey water; they are mainly in towns so the bush option is not there.

The push to grey water tanks is creating a monster. Larger quantities of water to be disposed of, and bacteria can build up in the stored waste water to an unsafe level after 24 hours. Not all dump points will welcome grey water, particularly those that need to be emptied as not on deep sewerage. They are for black water and do not want the extra volume of waste water. So we will have sullage tanks and nowhere to empty them. Forty or so litres of water stored for three days dumped in one spot is not healthy.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809403

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 22:40

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 22:40
Hullo Michael

Overall I agree with your sentiments.

What I am finding, however, is that there are a growing number of places making grey water capture mandatory, for example, show grounds in towns.

If I am staying in a country town I prefer the showground as there is often less crowding and usually some interesting characters :-)
Unfortunately there also seems to be a trend, at least for the LG run ones, to charge the same amount as the CP in order to protect the CP income, even though the facilities are far less salubrious, for example in Mudgee.

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 809405

Follow Up By: Magnus - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 23:24

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 23:24
Interesting that some LG are now concerned about protecting CP income in their towns. Wonder what bought that on.
FollowupID: 809406

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 23:52

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 23:52
It is called Competitive Neutrality Magnus. The following examples are my take on what is happening.

As an example; supposing the Council lifted their budget bottom line by doing private works with their graders while lying idle; government funding departments wanted them to do this as effective use of funds. They had the equipment, the staff on salary and the mechanical workshop. Easy to undercut the local contractor by a considerable margin. They had to be fair and charge the true cost of capital, staff and maintenance.

Enter the free or low cost campground. Caravan Park has to pay rates and maintenance staff.Free camp expected to charge a little to cover the equivalent of these costs. In Tasmania where competitive neutrality was I believe incorrectly applied, once there is a complaint, they have to assess the cost and charge, hence a number of formerly free camps (which in some cases pre-dated the caravan park opening in that town) now charge between $5 and $10 even if they didn't want to.

In the case of a showground managed by a committee of volunteers, the camping facilities were there for use during events. Letting a few campers in at a fee comparative to their lesser amenities became a valuable source of fundraising for this community asset. Someone cries foul, and these volunteers have to go through often years of red tape to become authorised to run a caravan park, often having to expend considerable money to meet the required conditions.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809407

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 21:51

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 21:51
Hullo MH

In the case of the showground at Mudgee, my understanding is that the somewhat basic facilities have not changed, nor the fact that there continues to be a caretaker in residence after hours.

But the fee has risen from 20 to 32 dollars per day, exactly the same as the CP which has vastly superior facilities.

That does not seem consistent with applying the principles of competitive neutrality. On the contrary, it seems to me to have a whiff of a mates deal!

Cheers
Andrew

FollowupID: 809486

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 00:05

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 00:05
Similar happened in Barcaldine a few years ago Andrew, resulting in the showground charging the same as the caravan parks. This was from the state government ruling not the shire.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809500

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 17:59

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 17:59
Try this one.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527026

Reply By: DRM51 - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 18:11

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 18:11
Hi Leone,
I bought my 40 litre water tank on eBay for $90. It does the trick and is easy to move as it has wheels and an extending handle. I previously found that after a shower I had to empty the grey (?) water from the bucket before my wife could shower. This new water tank works a treat and is worth every cent. Postage will cost u extra.
Cheers,
David.
AnswerID: 527491

Sponsored Links