New Wildflower section

Submitted: Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 22:54
ThreadID: 106362 Views:1709 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I noticed the new wildflower tab, with a few species uploaded already.

Good idea and I'm sure John and Val, and Stephen and others will be busy for a while.

Just a few thoughts on this.

Should this section be expanded to include all flora?
Can the photos be Geo-referenced so you can see the location of all referenced species on a map?
Should there be an "unknown" check box, so if you do not know what something is called, others in the know can edit the information and select the appropriate species?

I like the concept and can see there is scope later on down the track to include other topics, such as fauna, geological types - that kind of thing.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: MobiCondo - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 09:14

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 09:14
Equinox and site organisers,
Love the new section on wildflowers as it has so much potential for like minded adventurers. Read the newsletter mail as well looking for clues to my query before posting this.
The geo referencing suggestion sounds great s it would be so helpful to rank amateurs such as my wife and myself.
Wondering if it is a good idea to allow folks to place a pic of a flower which we can not I.D. from even State authorities, give a Geo reference and see how others go at giving an I.D.
Cheers - Mobi
AnswerID: 527002

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 09:28

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 09:28
Hi Alan

Thank you very much for the feedback, and I'm sure that David too will welcome your comments. David has put a great amount of work into getting this up and running (Thank you David), and hopefully it will become another popular and useful part of EO.

The mapping /location function is still coming, and as others start to contribute info there will most likely be some tweaking that needs to be done. For location, David will most likely use the IBRA bioregions, but you may have other suggestions. It doesn't seem like a good idea to locate some species too exactly, but we also want to try to show the range of widespread genera.

Can it include all flora? - yes it can. There is already a lichen in there to test that idea. There is an "other" box to check for flower colour. Naming might be more of an issue, but there is no reason why all the other non flowering interesting plant things should not be included.

Ideally it would be good if others were able to edit, especially to add names where these are not known to the poster. Currently this type of information can be fed back through the comments/discussion section, and I will add and edit as required. I certainly make no claim to great identification or naming expertise, especially down to species level, so I am certainly hoping that others will be able to assist. In the meantime people should not be afraid to use "Unknown" in the mandatory boxes (or any other boxes), but the more info people can add to their posting the better.

The idea of doing something similar for fauna and geology should work, and its another area of interest to many travellers. I don't know if David ever sleeps but its a good idea that he may be able to incorporate when the wildflowers section is all working smoothly.

What would be great now is for as many people as possible to post some entries to give the system a really good test, and to build up the list. Ideally start from scratch, make a whole new entry for each different plant for which you have a decent photo. I'm really looking forward to seeing posts from Stephen and all the other contributors to wildflower blogs and forum posts.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527003

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 17:10

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 17:10
Well done to all involved in the new "Wildflower" section, love it.

Regards

Barry H
FollowupID: 809392

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 19:51

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 19:51
Hi Val,

Thanks for your comments. Great to hear that David is working on the mapping functionality. The IBRA Regions sounds like a good start, though some regions are quite vast, though can understand the reasons why exact localisation may not be a good idea in some circumstances.

Using "Unknown" seems like a good alternative, at least in the interim - I see this option has already been used by you and others.

I haven't got that many pictures however will try and load some up in the coming weeks (a few unknowns amongst them).

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 809401

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 21:14

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 21:14
I like it, although flowers are not my thing. I'm more interested in the animals. Reptiles in particular, with the Raptors coming in a close second. Probably a big ask, but what about a section on animals? Quite often we see a post asking what (insert animal family) is this.
AnswerID: 527036

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 21:48

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 21:48
Top effort John and Val, David and Michelle.

I'll add a few images over the next week or so, as I get a bit of time shortly.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 527037

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 22:34

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 22:34
Thanks John, look forward to seeing your photos.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 809404

Sponsored Links