Buying a car and Van in Vic to bring to WA

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 18:44
ThreadID: 106368 Views:2840 Replies:10 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Hello wondering if anyone can shed some light i want to buy a new car and new van never been licensed before from Victoria and bring it across to WA can i get a temporary movement permit for both vehicles and travel that way or cant you have them both under a permit together.

Same country yet so many different rules wish could just fly a inspector over to VIC and get it them both licensed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 19:41

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 19:41
Problem with bringing car and van over on permit, it's supposed to be by the most direct route and no touring allowed.
The easiest way is to licence both in Victoria for the shortest term possible (3 Months, if possible} and then take your time coming back to WA. Once in WA you will have to relicense here within 3 months (officially that is, but many leave it till the licence expires)
You will have to have a Vic Address to do this, any friends/relatives in Vic who would allow you to use their address for licencing purposes?

Others will have other ideas. Consider them all and then work out what's the best for you.

Cheers

Disco.
AnswerID: 527030

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 23:57

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 23:57
As Disco advises. Even use the address of the caravan park you are staying at until you return, or subject to their permission, the address of the vendor as your residential address but give your correct WA postal address. Change over within three months. You can cancel the interstate registration at the WA licensing centre.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 809408

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 00:04

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 00:04
Additionally, you only pay stamp duty once, and WA have a hefty one so it should be cheaper to register the vehicle in Victoria than in WA.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809409

Follow Up By: WBS - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 09:53

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 09:53
If you are going down this path, an address is not enough. Vic Roads will also require you to show proof that you live at that address. A bank statement from your bank account with your name and that address on it will suffice.

WBS
FollowupID: 809417

Reply By: 08crd - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 00:27

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 00:27
Hi hard yaka, we purchased a van last year from Wodonga.
We asked the dealer to organise a permit, which cost $25 from memory and lasts for a month.
Then we called in at Kambalda on the way home and registered it, the local panel shop was the licensing certification joint.
It worked fine for us.
AnswerID: 527043

Follow Up By: Hard Yaka - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 01:51

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 01:51
did you need to get a WA permit too to get there Dont like the problem of having to travel direct route under a permit may have to look into the rego over Vic for 3 months will make a few calls monday thanks for the feedback.
FollowupID: 809411

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 09:39

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 09:39
There is no 3 month registration period in Victoria.
There is a system where if you have a healthcare or pension card, you can register a vehicle for 6 months if you have 2 vehicles (not vans or trailers) registered in your name in Victoria, I know this applies when transferring a used vehicle, not sure about new registrations though.

You can claim a refund when you cancel the registration, although if you use 1 month you won't get back the equivalent of 11 months, as you lose all of the applicable stamp duties & the fire service levy on the compulsory 3rd party insurance.

Registering the caravan is very cheap in Victoria, somewhere around $55.00 with no stamp duty & it is easier to get the dealer to do it for you.

FollowupID: 809415

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 09:43

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 09:43
I forgot to add that giving a false residential address may cause insurance issues, to be safe, you would need to check with both your comprehensive & compulsory third party companies.

FollowupID: 809416

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:18

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:18
Shaker that is good advice re getting the dealers to register. I thought it was standard procedure for them to organise registration of new vehicles/vans, but have no experience whether this is in dealer name or customer name. It is crazy that in one country we have such difficulties with registering vehicles; the state departments of transport must be the worst.

It is not a huge cost losing some of the Victorian registration fee when you transfer to WA rego.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809420

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 17:10

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 17:10
If you are going to register the vehicles in Victoria, don't worry about having to register them for 12 months. You will get a refund for the unused portion of the fees (less the usual admin charge.) The admin fee will be the same no matter how long the registration period is.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809449

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 10:56

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 10:56
First to those who have responded I am not saying that any one said anything wrong. Far from it. But . . .

I am sitting here and wondering why you just don't just ask the Vic RTA and start from there. Ask them if there is anything of a temporary nature that may be ebst. And then depending on what they recommend could also ask the SA and WA about it as well.

To me it is so simple and I am surprised why people don't ask them

At least you won't be guided into doing anything illegal. Like using a metes address and stating on the registration application that it is your residential address. That is fraud and making a false statement.

Now listen to the "ah get off it Phil, who cares" mob.

If you are really after the correct and legal way to do it then simply ask the relevant RTAs.

Phil
AnswerID: 527052

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:46

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:46
I searched for "victoria rta temporary registration permit" and opened up the very first result at and I get all the info that you need at Victorian Unregistered Vehicle Permit

It states in one place that "Vehicles may only be driven in daytime between sunrise and sunset. The permit allows a vehicle to be used outside these hours for the following purposes:
.. . . . . .
where a vehicle is collected from the place of purchase to be driven to the residence of the owner or the garaged address nominated on the permit; " You put down the place of purchase as Bob' Caravans in Fitzroy" and your actual home address in WA. That covers you for any time in Victoria.

Now right at the bottom it states about Interstate Use: "You can drive interstate with an Unregistered Vehicle Permit if this condition is specified on your permit. "

I believe that this site and page answers your question. But I would still actually talk to them to be sure.

Phil
FollowupID: 809423

Follow Up By: disco driver - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:23

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:23
It has been argued that your residential address when you buy the caravan/car is the address where you are living/staying at the time of purchase. It does not necessarily have to be your postal address or even in the same state as your postal address.

That was my experience a few years ago.

Disco.
FollowupID: 809429

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 13:58

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 13:58
Yes you are correct it is your residential address. And there is an argument about what is meant by "residential address".

Also I haven't the cash reserves to challenge a knock-back of an insurance claim to argue what is my actual residential address at that time.

And then again most importantly I have to live with myself and I prefer not to live with a liar.

Phil
FollowupID: 809432

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 14:39

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 14:39
Permits are ok & easy to obtain, but you must use the most direct route between point A & point B, so holiday touring on the way home is out of the question.
The only vehicle that is really an issue us the motor vehicle, as caravans are so cheap to register in Victoria.

FollowupID: 809435

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:37

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:37
I agree, if it were me, I would be ringing the licencing center in Perth and also VIC. You will get the correct information from them on what you can and can't do.
If you have time, get them to put their answer in writing.

I would also be contacting my insurance company and explaining it them them, get there answer in writing as well, this way you are covered and have some recourse if something something goes wrong.
AnswerID: 527053

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:51

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:51
Good point about insurance. If you start mucking around with stating incorrect addresses and you have a prang. Any insurance either obligatory or chosen will certainly be at risk. And I wouldn't bet against them putting a black mark against in a credit rating scheme.

You sound like you either work in the industry, just being careful or know someone who got bitten cheating an insurance company!!

Good point.

Phil
FollowupID: 809425

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:02

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:02
When it comes to government agencies or insurance companies, always get it in writing.
The person you speak to may get it wrong, if you have it in writing, you at least have some recourse if t goes pair shaped.
FollowupID: 809426

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:06

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:06
Too true.

I would go so far as to print the pages from the regs as well.

It's not being a goodie goodie it's protecting whats yours.

Phil
FollowupID: 809427

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 13:48

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 13:48
Surely the best option is to have the vehicle registered in WA, with all your correct details, right from the get go.

Surely the dealer can arrange this...it may take a little longer to get the paperwork and the plates too and fro.....but it would have to be the best choice.

cheers
AnswerID: 527064

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 18:16

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 18:16
Might happen in a perfect world, but it won't happen now!
That is why they have the permit system in place.

FollowupID: 809459

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 19:44

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 19:44
Have you asked.

We have a permit system In QLD too...there are various reasons why people use permits to move unregistered vehicles.

Its a new vehicle, there should be no inspection required....it should be a matter of completeing the paperwork, paying the fees and obtaining the plates.

Where the vehicle is at the time should make no never mind.

cheers
FollowupID: 809470

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 20:09

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 20:09
Some States require a full over the pits inspection of new vehicles, as far as I know all require physical checks of VIN & engine numbers.
FollowupID: 809474

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 23:36

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 23:36
So you are telling me that the dealer has to take each and every new vehicle to be inspected before it is registered.

Not in QLD mate......the dealers submit the paperwork and attach the plates.....I believe that the dealers may even have pre-issued stocks of plates.

Th op needs to contact the roads department in the state they are resident in and get the story from the horses mouth.

cheers
FollowupID: 809495

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 23:49

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 23:49
Some dealers can do in house registrations & they have to sign a statement that they have inspected the vehicle.
By the way, we aren't talking about Queensland.
FollowupID: 809497

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 20:26

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 20:26
Yeh we are not talking about NSW, VIC, TAS or the Northern teritory either.

The only thing that matters is where the vehicle is to be registered and where the buyer resides.

The only certainty and the only point worth discussing is what the transport department in that state is prepared to do.

SO the OP needs to make direct enquiries of someone who will give the correct answer.

cheers
FollowupID: 809538

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 21:19

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 21:19
Did you even bother to read the thread title before you started arguing?
Buying in Victoria actually requires you to travel across that State to get to WA! There are a couple of ways to do it, register it or transport it, end of story!

FollowupID: 809540

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 23:49

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 23:49
Yes I did read the thread....do you not grasp that the OP can not register the vehicles in VIC because he does not reside there.

The only place he can register the vehicles is in WA where he resides.

Most of the discussion has revolved arround him wanting to have a bit of a holiday on the way back...that he ca not do if driving on permits.

For goodness sakes... keep up mate.

I doubt very much that it is as hard as some people are making out.

But one thing is for sure.....the OP needs to make direct enquiries with both the WA roads department and the dealer.....and get some quality information...not just piss and vinegar.

cheers
FollowupID: 809555

Reply By: bgreeni - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 14:20

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 14:20
A few years back I needed to bring my boat and trailer from where I had it in storage in NSW to WA. As I had been living/working overseas for a few years the rego had expired.

Finally decided it was too hard in NSW to get a permit, SA said if I had a valid WA permit they would accept that and WA gave me a permit from border to home by most direct route.

Decided to take the risk in NSW and got away with it. Was pulled up in outback SA for a RBT and they never even looked at rego.

AnswerID: 527066

Reply By: Hard Yaka- Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 15:49

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 15:49
Yeah insurance is a big one so will go the permit I think I also read somewhere that wa has wiped the stamp duty for caravans but will ring both states tomorrow to clarify it all would be nice to take 3 weeks to casually drive back
AnswerID: 527069

Follow Up By: 08crd - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 01:08

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 01:08
I'm just glad I didn't ask the question, before I bought my van.
There is enough geniuses on here to fill NASA.lol
FollowupID: 809502

Reply By: Bongo (NT) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 17:36

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 17:36
I bought a new camper from a dealer in Adelaide.

The dealership registered it in the name of the dealership.

I towed it home to Darwin.

Transferred the registration into my name. Questioned the stamp duty because the camper trailer was less than 4.5 tonnes. The counter staff checked and apologised as no stamp duty was due.

All good, legal and insured for the journey between Adelaide and Darwin including side trips.

AnswerID: 527073

Reply By: tonysmc - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 23:20

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 23:20
As we are talking about a vehicle in Victoria, there seems to be misnomer here that you need to reside where the vehicle is registered. This is incorrect.
The vehicle needs to be registered where it is “garaged”. So the vehicle may be garaged/ stored and registered in Victoria and you may reside and have you licence in another state. This is all perfectly legal.
How am I sure? I currently have 2 vehicles registered in Victoria and have lived interstate for the last 6 years. Every year Vicroads send my rego papers straight to my home address interstate and I pay online. Never been an issue. I also have a Victorian boat licence which only shows an interstate address.
I travel to Victoria often and have had several vehicles registered there, when living elsewhere over the past 22 years and it is never an issue. Some of these vehicles I have driven back to my “home” interstate and simply changed to registration over to that state as soon as I get it there.
I have places that I can leave my vehicles, however in your case if you had no-where, maybe you could book a site at a caravan park where it could stay for a while and be registered there as that’s where it is stored. Go to Vic for a holiday and then at your leisure drive it back home and register it back home as soon as you are back. (Once you are home with an interstate registered vehicle, there is no 3 month grace to change over the rego if you are employed in that state)
Once I did try and bring a new trailer from Victoria back with a permit and was told at the last minute that when using a permit I cannot carry anything in the trailer and they also said I would have to renew the permit as soon I entered each new state! Defeated the purpose really, so be careful if looking at using permits.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 527179

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 08:24

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 08:24
What was the final outcome?

AnswerID: 527749

Sponsored Links