PPSR

I just received a PPSR on a caravan I’m going to buy from the Australian Financial Security Authority. Despite promising a vehicle encumbrance status and a number of other things– it doesn’t. The only information it provides after entering the VIN is registration no, brand of van, year of manufacture, where registered, expiry date and colour, in other words the same information contained on the registration papers. An email to the enquiries department at the AFSA resulted in a gibberish, nonsensical email on how to read the PPSR and telling me it would contain an encumbrance report. Don’t waste your $18 – you can get the same information (and more) just from reading the rego papers. I never expected to be scammed by an Australian government department.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:54

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:54
Tony,

I think you’re being a little bit unkind there. The Personal Properties Security Register (PPSR) will provide you with the following

• encumbrance (monies owing)
• vehicle details (such as make and model)
• registration status
• stolen status
• written off status

When undertaking a serial number search for a motor vehicle, you will get one of two results:
• No registrations found. This means that there is no encumbrance registered on the Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) for that serial number.
• Registration found. This means that there are encumbrances registered on the PPSR for that serial number.

'Registrations’ in the PPSR sense refers to registrations of security interests. The registration number is the PPSR registration number which is the unique identification number allocated by the PPSR at the time of registration (it is approximately 15 digits in length). It is not the number plate of a vehicle (eg ABC 123).

There are some very clear guidelines about how to interpret the certificate you recieve.
To recommend that people don’t make enquiries about a vehicle they are keen to purchase could have some drastic downstream consequences for them, particularly if the vehicle or van has a loan over it. They may find themselves losing their purchase to the financial institution that holds the security over it.

Rather than vent here and provide very bad advice that could cost people dearly, how about you pop along to the PPSR website and have a look at the instructions. It’s not rocket science and makes things pretty clear.

http://www.ppsr.gov.au/AsktheRegistrar/FactSheets/Pages/Howtointerpretamotorvehiclesearchresultandsearchcertificate.aspx

Good luck with your van

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527201

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:46

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:46
Not venting and not being unkind, the certificate provided the data I said it did, all other fields just said 'no data'. As for the web site you listed, that's the same site the email from AFSA supplied, yes it's not rocket science and yes it's easy to read and understand. But 'no' the certificate contains no information on encumbrances - just the entry 'no data'. That's not rocket science either.
FollowupID: 809577

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:16

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:16
Thanks Mick

Sitting here wondering what the hell a PPSR is. Bloody abbreviations. You did it the correct way mate. Use it in full in the first instance.

And I think an investment of a whole $18 won't hurt.

We got all the info that we needed from ours when we purchased the car.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 809578

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:29

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:29
At the risk of sounding abrasive,

"I never expected to be scammed by an Australian government department" and;

"Don't waste your $18", sounds like a vent to me Tony.

That you received “No registrations" should indicate to you that there are no encumbrances over the van.

Given the mine field that exists around privacy these days, the PPSR will still provide you with;

•Registration Details provides the PPSR registration number, start and end dates.
•Collateral Details provides information about the vehicle and how the interest is held in the vehicle.
•Secured Party Details identifies the person or organisation that holds the interest in the vehicle.
•Address for Service provides details on how to contact the secured party.
•History Summary outlines details of any amendments to the registration.

PROVIDING that there is an interest registered on the vehicle. It cannot provide you information that does not exist. Ie; no loan, lien or other encumbrance on the vehicle, then there is no history to provide.

I’ve just used it myself buying a 100 series for friends arriving from overseas and found it to be a great service considering it has only existed as a national entity for a few short years. It leaves me wondering how many people were left with a bitter pill to swallow before the PPSR came into operation.

Cheers
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809583

Follow Up By: wr450tractor - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:19

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:19
went to sell my ute bloke that was buying it done the PPSR came back stolen. I owned it from new wtf
FollowupID: 809588

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:29

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:29
A likely story. Would anyone here believe this guy.

Did you get it fixed. The cop behind you would get exactly the same report and pull you over. They can do the same with multiple number plates a second now with some high tech camera and internet stuff.

Phil
FollowupID: 809590

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:44

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:44
Totally spot on Mick.
The PPSR is a very good and important initiative.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809610

Follow Up By: wr450tractor - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:47

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:47
Yep Phil i do it happened to me in tassie came up stolen in WA never been there cop put wrong engine no on report do you find that hared to believe
FollowupID: 809622

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:58

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:58
Tractor man

yes that would be right. Human error. It can happen but as you pointed out, it was on the engine number, not the rego plates.

We had a bloke on this site once who made all sorts of claims about a trailer he had built himself. The PPSR register showed otherwise and that it had been built in QLD and then sold to WA and re-registered.

Apart from the occasional human caused error like in your case, it's a really good initiative that prevents a lot of people being stung by unscrupulous dealers and sellers.

My little 5x8 box trailer has been through a couple of red light cameras in QLD...attached to a kenworth prime mover. It appears my trailer and a tri-axle reefer unit have the same rego number. Had to send them photos of my trailer in the driveway 2000 km away before they'd withdraw the fine lol.

Cheers Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809624

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:08

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:08
Okay. Got it about the third reading because I just read it as one sentence and had totally the wrong understanding of what you meant to type.

How about using a little punctuation next time please.

A few full stops at least please. Sorry but this is a mess.

"Yep Phil i do it happened to me in tassie came up stolen in WA never been there cop put wrong engine no on report do you find that hared to believe"

Example. What were you saying about Tsmania or WA". Were you saying that neither you, nor the car, had been in Tasmania or WA.

See what I mean.

Phil

Phil
FollowupID: 809626

Reply By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:01

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:01
Ok, if it makes for a happy chappy - I'm venting. Here's another vent: Registration no, brand of van, year of manufacture, where registered, expiry date and colour are the only fields annotated. Stolen and Written Off are annotated 'no data', other than that there is no more information, there is no 'No Registrations' annotated anywhere on the form - hope that wasn't too abrasive.
So, let me see if I have this correct: only positive comments allowed here, no venting and government departments do not make mistakes - makes sense to me.
AnswerID: 527217

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:08

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:08
A few yrs back [5] we bought a Holden Rodeo 2nd hand from a Licenced used car dealer ,did all the checks ,encumbrances etc ,, 14 months later when trading in the Rodeo on another vehicle we were informed that the vehicle was listed on the Unrepairable register and could not be re registered in Qld ,,, trade still went through however,
FollowupID: 809603

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:34

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:34
Not abrasiveness at all Tony, simply that you didn't read the instructions. My concern that you are needlessly and wrongly slagging off a very good system based on your inability to read or comprehend the instructions. Have a look here (and this is directly from the website telling you how to read the report);

You said; "Stolen and Written Off are annotated 'no data'"

They say this;

Stolen Vehicle Indicator – ‘no data’ specifies that there is no NEVDIS data to indicate the vehicle has been stolen.

Written Off Indicator – ‘no data’ specifies that there is no NEVDIS data to indicate the vehicle has been written off.

They also tell you this;

"The NEVDIS data also includes a number of explanatory notes. Please make sure you read these notes, as they relate to the data provided."

(NEVDIS is the National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System (NEVDIS) data. All state transport authorities provision vehicle information (rego etc) and Drivers lience data to this system. This system provisions data in turn to the National Vehicles of Interest database, the NVOI. The cops then hit against this with their state information systems to identify stolen vehicles and drivers details nationally). In answer to that other post, a vehicle resulting in a stolen hit could only exist if plates were stolen and later reissued without the owning jurisdiction updating their records. Very rare but it could conceivably happen human error being what it is.

"No Data" response indicates you have no issues with that vehicle UNLESS it has never been registered. No rego previously, no data in the NEVDIS.

If you've done the check using the VIN or chassis number and it doesn't match the description of the van in front of you, they give you a process for ratifying those details as well.

NO REGISTRATIONS - As per my posts above, this means that there are no encumbrances on the van - This is good.

So from everything you've said, your check has provided a positive result for your $18. If you were expecting war and peace, you'll only get that if there are specific issues with the vehicle...again whioch is what you want.

For peace of mind...18 bucks well spent.

;-)

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809608

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:45

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:45
Hey Tony,

Don't get so agitated - you asked a question and got an answer. It may not be the answer you wanted but don't take it out on the respondent, he answered from his point of view.
Take it on board and move on.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 809612

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:31

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:31
I'm not agitated at all - I'm quite enjoying myself actually (what can I say, it's a hobby) that's the main thing surely... Anyhow, I do feel compelled to clear up any confusion - it's the least I can do.

So let me approach this from a different perspective.

Words NOT appearing on the PPSR certificate I received:

'NO REGISTRATIONS'

ie - not there, absent, missing, omitted, lacking, left out, not present.

Other words NOT appearing on the PPSR certificate I received:

Finance Company.
Encumbrance.
Names of individual finance companies.

There are a raft of others of course, but we'll leave them for another day!
FollowupID: 809631

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:58

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:58
Tony H15,
The fact that your PPSR form came back with "No Registration/No Data means one of two things.
1. The vehicle/van has never been registered on the database, but as they have all the other details, that can be ruled out.
or
2. The vehicle/van is totally unencumbered, there is no record of theft, finance issues or re birthing.

As there is no record of Finance Co, encumbrance, or any other similar data you can assume that there are no issues of previous ownership or money owing.

Disco.

And if you are just stirring the pot, don't waste contributors time, they have better things to do with it.
FollowupID: 809639

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:13

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:13
Not stirring the pot, just wondering how come no one here seems to be able to read. As an aside it seems to me that you are now stirring my pot!
FollowupID: 809640

Reply By: Member - Big A - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 21:17

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 21:17
Anybody looked at the Caravan and Motorhome Forum to see if this bloke got the answer he wanted there? The Caravaners Forum didn't either.

"A".
AnswerID: 527307

Sponsored Links