D-Max transmission and front diff breathers

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:11
ThreadID: 106422 Views:8275 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
This is a shot in the dark but here goes anyway, I've been trawling through the internet and clambering around under the car trying to find where the front diff, transfer case and gearbox breathers are located on those components, and have hunted around under the bonnet to see if I can find where they terminate, to no avail. The vehicle is a 2013 D-Max Space cab, the internet has some solutions for the previous model but not 2012 onwards, in the Isuzu spec sheet it mentions something about snorkeled diff breathers, but if where the rear diff breather terminates is anything to go by it's just not high enough. Any first hand tips appreciated. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stinger2 - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 23:10

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 23:10
Hi Kanga1, I take it you googled D- Max forum or Isusu forum, what about dealers,I had to put my own breather on the tranny and just found and extended the ones on the diffs..good luck
AnswerID: 527247

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 08:29

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 08:29
G'day Stinger, the D-Max forum died a few months back (great shame) will look for others. We are heading to Hobart today I'll see if the Dealers' mechanics can tell me the locations, also interested to see if the ECU gets gearbox oil temp info for the manual gearbox. Thanks for the reply, cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 809658

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:34

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:34
Kang1

No manual gearbox temps from ECU. Unusual if there is!
The manual gearbox in 4th is a straight through drive and just things spinning in oil but no gear loading happening.
In 5th the OD unit is driving via gears and will generate some heat.
Usually not a problem with manuals.

Can't see there being a problem there with temps.

If working, ie, towing in 4th, the diff temp would be the one I would look at if anything.
FollowupID: 809659

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:58

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:58
I have seen quite a few prime mover manual gearboxes and diffs have temp gauges but never in what we would term our normal range of 4x4/4x2 type vehicles.
I do remember many, many, many years ago after doing my first around the states trip in a 1965 HD Holden that the gearbox was getting a bit noisy. Pulled it out and stripped it down, all 3 speeds..lol and found that most of the oil looked and smelled like burnt toast. So maybe the temperatures got a bit high.
I have found that diff breathers are generally fairly easy to find but sometimes the gearbox/transfer breather can be a bit of a pain. Can't remember the make, too many dead brain cells ago, but I remember spending a bit of time looking for one and found that that particular manufacturer decided that breathing through the gear selector mechanism was good enough.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 809672

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:20

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:20
Hi Ross and Pop, I am planning to get some kind of OBD scanning gadget and was curious whether or not the ECU was monitoring the Manual gearbox/transfer case temps, I have an EngineSafe EMS 550 that has a sensor similar to the Engine Watchdog in addition to the sensor fitted into the top radiator hose, I was thinking of bolting the block sensor to the gearbox or transfer case below the oil filler level for the hell of it. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 809702

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:39

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:39
Kanga,

I have been towing our 2 1/2 tonne van with a Landcruiser with a manual gearbox for some years. Even towing in the NW of WA when the oil is coming out of the bitumen and putting your hands anywhere near the road surface is a might uncomfortable I have never had the EP oil discolour like the old Holden did but I guess 2 very different vehicles.
My thoughts only but a manual box or a diff for that matter does not have a torque converter and that's where the heat is generated.
Having said that I guess there is no down side to attaching a sensor to the gear casing or even putting the sensor in the level plug hole as long as it didn't foul anything inside the box. Not sure that the reading would mean much unless you could find out what is normal for that make of manual box, although I imagine you could take the readings over various times and situations to determine some base line parameters.
Maybe contact the oil manufacturer and find out the oil temp limits.
Actually I could think of one down side and that is now you would have one more number to worry about and no way, other than stopping every now and then, to do anything about it (;-))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 809706

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:06

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:06
Hi Kanga 1,
TryNew D Max Forum
This forum replaced the old one.
Regards
Scooby
AnswerID: 527252

Follow Up By: Dion - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 15:51

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 15:51
Scooby, I just tried to register on that forum but it kept saying that the answer to the anti spambot question was invalid.
FollowupID: 809694

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:23

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:23
Scooby, I don't know why the plug was pulled on the other D-Max forum, but that new one is worth a look. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 809703

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 21:16

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 21:16
Hopefully the NEW Dmax forum is autonomous and not closely aligned with a certain Vehicle company.

Sometimes posts on that other forum simply disappeared, when what was said wasn't supportive and questioned dealer activity and servicing anomalies. The spotlight was quickly shot out.

We can't have the general public finding out or being made aware of what goes on it the industry, no siree.
FollowupID: 809710

Sponsored Links