Gary Highway conditions

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:42
ThreadID: 106437 Views:2369 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just interested to know if anyone has done the Gary (from the Gunbarrel to the Gary Junction) in the last 12 months or so? Have been up it a couple of time but not for a few years, and keen to hear any comment on conditions? Won't be going over to the Eagle.
In a Toyota cab chassis, travelling mid year.
Any comments appreciated.
Kruzn3

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 20:09

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 20:09
Yeah was on it in July/August last year. Conditions don't change much on the Gary. It's getting pretty tight in places and affected by runoff. Slow but a reasonable run as far as little used outback tracks go. Top half is in better condition to my mind. Lenny did the right thing and stuck to the top of the laterite hills as much as he could. Take it easy and you won't have much of an issue.

Hope Lake Cohen has some water in it for you. Always amazing to be confronted by this expanse of water and the birdlife.

Eagle is a fair run but even more overgrown than the Gary. Much worse in the top (Northern) sections across the Connelly Basin.

If you intend to camp at Gary Junction, pick up some firewood before you get there. It's a bit scarce in the mulga nearby.

Safe travels

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527291

Follow Up By: Member - Greg - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:12

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:12
Thanks Mick; replied to your message too.
I recall parts of it was like driving through a scrub tunnel! Nice cut and polish. Had a Nissan Patrol Cab then so it didn't matter :) Need a big tag-a-long to go through to mow it down a bit. May would be good if anyone's making plans.
In 2011 we came down through the basin from the Tal; both exits on the Eagle were blocked with huge expanses of water (scouting on the dunes and couldn't see the end of it). Went back though the basin into more rain. Not a good place to be in the wet. The west end of the Tal is also a worry over those pans; the surface held. Maybe not the best decision in retrospect.
I reckon the top end of the Gary miight be a little better because the previous managers at Kunawaritji (their son) used to run down there for the occasional rescue?? Not cheap!
Thanks for your help Mick.
Kruzn3

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809733

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 13:11

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 13:11
Yes the top end of the Eagle is fast disappearing due to lack of traffic. With the T/O's locking up Ngarri Claypan no one goes much past Mungilli these days. That rain in 2011 did a power of damage to the track across the Connelly. Lots of ruts. Much like the David Carnegie, it will soon become a 4 day slog.

Enjoy the trip.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809740

Follow Up By: Member - Greg - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 13:24

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 13:24
Your post (mentioning the Carnegie) prompted another question Mick: we're going up the Hunt Oil to get to the Gary. Same question; haven't done it since 2009 - any recent data? Anyone?
Thanks all.
Kruzn3

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809741

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 22:30

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 22:30
Mate of no help to you there. I haven't done the Hunt since 2008. By god I bloody loved that run though. Mt Worsnop, Mt Allot, Alexander Spring & Woodhouse Lagoon. Man I need to go back and spend a little more time.

North on the Hunt - 2008

Enjoy the trip and tell us all about it Greg.

Cheers. Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809771

Sponsored Links