Portable storage device for digital photos?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 14:07
ThreadID: 10646 Views:2086 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Can anyone please recommend a portable storage device for digital photos? We have compact flash card and an xD card, but it wont take long to fill them with high quality pics, so what should we download them to whilst on our trip?

I know there are a few around (e.g. X-Drive PRO VP300 Vosonic, Phototainer, etc.) but don't know anyone that has used them.

Any recommendations? (Either way.)

Thanks
Sandie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 14:18

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 14:18
laptop....even a cheapo one will have a hd large enough for stax of pix. Then you could use it for Ozi explorer etc.

Leroy
AnswerID: 47322

Reply By: Emo - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 14:58

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 14:58
Have a look at the new portable hardrives. I'm not sure if you could plug a card reader into one of these and transfer files without a GUI but if you can one of these would be great because they are now quite cheap.
Alternatively, a cheap secondhand laptop would be the way to go.
AnswerID: 47325

Reply By: davelivo - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 16:18

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 16:18
The ideal solution would be to use a laptop with a CD burner built into it - then you can burn a copy (or two) of your pics and send them home for safe keeping.

The problem with all of these electronic storage devices is that they are all prone to failure and you can easily lose the lost (eg. what happens when your tent get flooded out and it all ends up under water?). Even if the laptop fails - you still have some of your photos saved on CD safely at home - so you wont have lost the lot.

Of course - this isn't the cheapest option - but its the surest way of making sure your digital photos wont dissapear into thin air!

- Dave
AnswerID: 47330

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 16:44

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 16:44
I have a friend who is a professional photographer who reckons the Apple iPod is the bees knees. It is small (smaller than a box of cigarettes) so is really portable, can hold up to 40Gig of data, and is cross platform capable. I use a 20Gig one for my music.Bob
AnswerID: 47333

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 21:26

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 21:26
Hear Hear,
i have a 10Gig and only use it for MP3's at the moment theres 1650 songs on there with about 2.4Gig free i also have the FM Transmitter and i play it thru the Car Stereo without any Hassles with cables its Great for long trips.Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 309340

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 23:14

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 23:14
Yeah I've got the iTrip too. It means you can have every piece of music you ever owned (or borrowed) with you at all times and playable through any FM receiver. Completely does away with CD stackers etcBob
FollowupID: 309372

Reply By: tessa_51 - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 17:45

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 17:45
Sandie
Is there a particular reason you want to take "high quality pics"? When I got my digital I started out taking pics on the highest quality available. Discovered I was using an enormous amount of card space per pic. Cut back to middle of the road and was able to get heaps more pics on the card. Realistically I have been unable to tell the difference between the quality of photos, both on screen and after printing. Try it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I use : resolution 1024 x 768 and compression "fine". I am currently using a 128 meg flashcard which takes approx 420 shots. I also carry a couple of smaller cards (32 & 16) for any excess pics. This gives me about 600 shots all up. Given that you have the capacity to review and delete any that are no good, that many shots should take you a long way. If not enough what's wrong with carrying 2 x 128 cards. I also have the luxury of a laptop and download as often as I can. But it is not a necessity.

Tessa
AnswerID: 47342

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:12

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:12
Sandie,
We take thousands of digital pics when on a trip and simply put the SD card from the camera into a card reader connected to our laptop to speed up the download of files. We used to download the files direct from the camera to the laptop but this took FOREVER. The card readers are the way to go, we bought one for about $200 with 6 slots to take all sorts of cards from various sources. It's the way to go.
When David gets back (he's out) I'll post the details of the card reader if you're interested.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 47346

Follow Up By: Poida4x4 - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:56

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:56
$200 for a 6-slot card reader! We sell them for $89...
FollowupID: 309328

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:58

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:58
That's great - well why don't you advertise here so you can get sales referals direct!Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 309329

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 22:58

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 22:58
I paid about $70 - Michelle was not sure.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 309490

Reply By: Member - Frank - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:19

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:19
tessa's got it carry more cards mine takes a floppy disk with card inserted but I have laptop instead of exra cards

sugest think what you are going to do in future GPS, electronic maps

of course if all this is to much talk to ruth and just by a perment waterside lot at birdsvilleCBS
Cant Bl**dy Sitstill
AnswerID: 47348

Reply By: Poida4x4 - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 19:07

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 19:07
I work for a major camera shop here in Perth, I run the Lab. We reccomend and use X-Drive ($395 for 30Gb portable hard drive) and the new Fotobar portable CD-DVD burner ($595 I think, these burn straight from a card to CD or DVD). There is another brand of portable card to CD burner that some of the guys like but I'm not too keen on it myself. Can't remember the name. Laptops are a good way to go but have more that can go wrong and use more power. A lot of devices may not be directly compatible with your xD card but an adaptor is available using a Compact Flash caddy.

I would definitely not reccomend lowering the quality of the images to fit more onto a card. 1024x768 is a screen resolution and will print perfectly at only 8.6 x 6.5cm at 300dpi. Any bigger and it will lose quality quickly. I see it regularly that someone takes a beautiful photo at a low quality and I have to tell them that if we print it to the size that they want, it will look pixelated and terrible.
AnswerID: 47354

Reply By: Member - Sandie R (NSW) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:00

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:00
Hi all. My name is Martin and I'm Sandie's husband.

Basically Sandie and I love our photos. We have a Olympus 5050 with a 2.2GB Microdrive card and the 32MB Xd card.
We take photos on the highest resolution so we can print them out at A3 if we feel the picture deserves it!!
To give you an idea of how many photos we take, at a party a few weeks ago I took 200 high res pics, almost 1GB.

I like the idea if taking a laptop because it can double up as a journal and I can put the GPS map info on it to. However this is the expensive option.

Has anyone found the X-drive II any good?
What are the features of the Apple Ipod? Does it have a colour screen for viewing the photos? A web address maybe?

Thanks in advance. Your information do date has been excellent!!
Marty
AnswerID: 47431

Follow Up By: Pluto - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 13:54

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 13:54
I can vouch for the X Drive II.

It's a brilliant device that will eliminate the need to carry a PC just to store photos. I usually carry it for fast camera downloads during the day and upload them to the PC, at camp in the evening. You might even find that you no longer need to carry a PC on some trips (depending on the other uses you put the PC to). It also has excellent battery life.

PlutoGet out there & have Fun!!!
FollowupID: 309428

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 21:11

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 21:11
Hi Martin,
For iPod info
http://www.apple.com/
I don't have an iPod, (yet) but I do have iMac for business and an iBook which I also use for my photos & movies when on the road . I have used Apple stuff for about 8 years now and all I can say is it is all excelent. One great thing about Apple Mac is they come with most everything the average person will need. Like iMovie and iDVD and with this I can even edit DVD movies and it was so easy to learn, as is all Apple stuff I have tried.
cheers, AnneDrysdale River Station
FollowupID: 309467

Sponsored Links