Vinyl Conditioner

Submitted: Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 18:34
ThreadID: 106474 Views:1859 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Interested in what people are using to maintain the durability of their vinyl caravan awnings. (not just cleaning)
I had a bottle of conditioner from Vantec thats now empty and have been trying to locate a replacement. Have tried alll the usual auto places and Bunnings, etc ... but all I can find is small spray bottles and the like that cost an arm and a leg.
Maybe something like coconut oil would do the job :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 18:54

Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 18:54
I reckon the original Armourall is pretty good for vinyl.
Unfortunately UV rays are the killer, so minimising exposure to sun goes a long way.
AnswerID: 527415

Follow Up By: rapserv - Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 19:30

Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 19:30
Hi Rosco... and thanks for the reply.
I used to use Armourall for looking after the black chrome on my previous vehicle and whilst it looked good at the time of application, I found that unless I used it on a regular basis the black started to turn white :-(
Seemed to be a way of locking people in to using their product ... so I wont be using it again on my current vehicle.
FollowupID: 809811

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 23:27

Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 23:27
This vinyl maintenance thing has arisen quite a bit recently.
Vinyl is a product made from crude oil.
When in the sun it sweats and the hydrocarbons evaporate from it.
Whilst pumping crude oil out of the ground there appeared a white greasy substance on the pump plunger shafts. It was what we know today as Vaseline.
Vaseline rubbed sparingly into surface of vinyl replaces some of what is lost and keeps it supple and it then lasts. Excess has to be buffed off with a rag to minimize dust attraction.

If you use Armourall, which has no chemical similarity to vinyl all, all it does is look nice and shiny and concentrates the UV rays onto/into the vinyl and it then cracks just as fast as if you don't use Armourall, maybe even faster.
Armourall is a silicon product and vinyl has no relationship to silicon substances. Armourall used to advertise, "Use Armourall for cracks in vinyl" they were right. Use it and it still cracks up.

Use Vaseline and all is well. There are many Vinyl roof cars and dash tops done with vinyl still ok. Non that I know of which had been done with Armourall.

Having seen evidence of this over a few decades I think Armourall is a crap product and haven't used a drop for at least 25 years.
FollowupID: 809829

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 19:24

Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 19:24
You could use any Auto Exterior Trim cleaner.

I only use Meguiars products and have found them to be excellent.
http://www.meguiars.com.au/

This is the one I use and has UV protection.
http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/car-care/glass-clear-plastic-and-exterior-trim/ultimate-protectant/

This one is Safe on all canvas, cloth, mohair and vinyl convertible tops.
http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/car-care/glass-clear-plastic-and-exterior-trim/convertible-cabriolet-cleaner/
AnswerID: 527418

Follow Up By: rapserv - Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 19:35

Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 19:35
thanks for the reply evaredy,
after a bit of surfing the net I came across the meguiars product as well in a 1 gallon container and I thought this might be the go.
sounds like your happy enough with it :-)
FollowupID: 809812

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 23:30

Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 23:30
You never know if your happy with a product until it has done it's job on vinyl for 10 + years and still all is well.
FollowupID: 809830

Sponsored Links