Toyota Avensis towing a camper.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 23:04
ThreadID: 106478 Views:3029 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We are planning our first camper trailer trip and have a 2005 2.4 litre petrol Toyota Avensis and we are wondering if it can pull a camper trailer?
The car manual says that it can tow 1.5 tonnes if fitted with brakes.

We have been looking at some on road Dingo camper trailers at around 400 kg.

If our car can pull the trailer should we fit brakes?

I imagine that we would add around 300 kg in gear. (With 3 kids)

Lastly, can anybody tells us how water proof dingo trailers are?

Any thoughts and words of experience much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 01:30

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 01:30
I have always found that rather than say around 300kgs inc kids it is more useful to use the total GVM of the fully loaded trailer. ie what the manufacturer states is the fully loaded weight of the trailer with water food bedding bikes etc. That is probably a better reflection of what u will tow. Now look at the GVM of both vehicle and trailer including 3 kids, mum, dad, dog, chooks and whatever else you think they will take. If possible see if you can borrow a similar setup and load up n take it over a public weigh station.

Another idea maybe to rent a trailer for a weekend to actually see what your needs are and if it is feasible. There are companies that hire out CTs may save tears in the future without the output of large sums of cash.

Regards

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527441

Follow Up By: KevinE - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:42

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:42
Yes, but the GCM must also be considered Michael.

If the GVM of the trailer + the GVM of the tug are within limits, but when combined still = more than the GCM, the rig is overweight & therefore illegal.

Something else to consider though is that when at, or near GVM in both tug & trailer, the ball weight will almost certainly be maxed out, or maybe even over.

As an example; my tug has a max ball weight of 250kg. But when loaded, that drops on a sliding scale until max GVM for the tug is reached. Then the ball weight is down to 180kg.

Cheers,

Kevin.

FollowupID: 809839

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 13:48

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 13:48
This in one factor that soo many people fail to account for.

That is.

The payload of the towing vehicle is reduced by the ball weight.

Total payload of the towing vehicle. say 600Kg.....minus the ball weight say 100Kg...equals the new payload 500Kg.

AHH but that assumes that the total payload is correctly distributed.

IF, the load in the towing vehicle is distributed toward the back...it may well be that even though the rig seems to be within its simple specs...the rear axle can be overloaded.

The point is it is all about detail.....detail so many don't seem to want to hear about.

ALL that said.
If you have a 1 tonne Agrigate Trailer Mass, and all is properly loaded and the simple maths done, the avensis should tow it well.

BTW... a trailer with a well set up electric brake system is a joy to tow.

The important thing IS.
Don't make asumptions.
Stuff generall weighs more than people think and people always want to carry more.

Deal with loaded massed not unladen masses AND learn how the whole towing equasion works.

BTW.
If you purchase a trailer that is compliant and registered for 1 tonne agrigate trailer mass ( it will have brakes)...there is no sin driving it arround loaded to 600Kg.

If however you have a trailer registered for 750Kg...it probably wont have brakes.....it will be less comfortable to tow at 600Kg..in particular stop.....and if you happen to load it to 800Kg...ya busted, illegal and possibly uninsured.

unless it is just a pissy little box trailer for trips to the dump....get some sort of brakes.

cheers
FollowupID: 809863

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 08:21

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 08:21
G'day,
Having owned a camper trailer with brakes I would never purchase one without them.

Came around a corner one day on a mountain road & had to pull up in a hurry because the road had slipped down the mountain. Never would have stopped in time without them.

In an emergency braking situation you will be glad you had them fitted. Bit like an insurance policy, you hope you never need it but nice to have some piece of mind if the unexpected happens.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 527448

Reply By: Wombalana - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 14:48

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 14:48
Thank you for all the replies, the main thing that I learnt from the replies was that I needed to do my homework. There is far more to towing than I had realised.

I am now 6 hours into the homework and understand (I think) many terms that I had never heard of and I am starting to feel comfortable that we could safely tow 750 kg braked if we properly distribute the weight. I hope that the auto 4 speed gear box will handle half of the manufacturers maximum towing limit.

Our car specs sourced from the manual and redbooks.com
Kerb Weight: 1515 kg
Gross Combination Mass: 3195 kg
Gross Vehicle Mass: 2195 kg
Brakes required: 500 kg
Maximum trailer weight: 1500 kg
Tongue load: 10 percent of the load should be on the tow ball.

Many thanks,
Mark
AnswerID: 527481

Follow Up By: KevinE - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 10:42

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 10:42
Good on you for studying up on it Mark! :)

I reckon that you probably now know more about towing than a lot of those currently on the highway towing caravans do!

Cheers,

Kevin.
FollowupID: 809915

Reply By: Tony H15 - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 16:35

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 16:35
The Avensis is rated to 500kg unbraked. If the CT weighs 400kgs, I can't imagine it weighing less than 500kg loaded.
AnswerID: 527486

Reply By: bockstar1 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 09:09

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 09:09
Consider investing in an after market secondary auto transmission cooler. We nearly cooked out transmission to death on a trip in our Mazda Tribute in 2008. Got a secondary unit installed in Broken Hill.

AnswerID: 527512

Sponsored Links