Sunday History Photo / Qld

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 05:44
ThreadID: 106494 Views:5657 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The Walter Taylor Bridge is a heritage-listed suspension bridge crossing the Brisbane River between Indooroopilly and Chelmer in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is shared by motor traffic and pedestrians and is the only habitable bridge in the Southern Hemisphere.
The bridge is a similar design to the Hercilio Luz Bridge in Florianopolis, Brazil, with the truss carrying the bridge being above the roadway and meeting the cables at non-uniform heights. This means that the suspension cables actually form the top chord of the truss, and this configuration is known as the Steinman (after its inventor) or Florianopolis type.

The bridge is unique among Brisbane bridges in that the two towers of the bridge house residential accommodation, which were occupied until mid 2010 when the last members of the original tollmaster's family moved out. The Chelmer side of the bridge is bounded by a council park. A pontoon in this park was washed away in the 2011 flood, and has not yet been replaced (April 2013). The Walter Taylor Bridge is one of four bridges in close proximity to each other. The others are the Albert Bridge, Indooroopilly Railway Bridge, and the Jack Pesch Bridge.
The bridge was conceived, designed, built and funded by local visionary Walter Taylor, a contractor who lived in Graceville (adjacent to the suburb in Chelmer). Although there was a rail bridge to Indooroopilly and beyond to the northern suburbs of Brisbane, local residents were frustrated because there was no means by which cars could cross the river. Pedestrians had been able to cross the river on the 2 previous Albert Bridges from 1875–1893, and from 1895 until the opening of the Walter Taylor Bridge.

The bridge was opened on 14 February 1936 by the Governor of Queensland, Sir Leslie Wilson. The bridge was operated as a toll bridge until the 1960s, with a toll collection booth located at the Northern (Indooroopilly) end, during that time, the bridge was known as the "Indooroopilly Toll Bridge. After Walter Taylor's death in 1955, the bridge was renamed the Walter Taylor Bridge in his honour.
The bridge is a suspension bridge and the support cables were actually surplus support cables used to hold up the incomplete halves of the Sydney Harbour Bridge during its construction. When the bridge opened it had the longest span of any suspension bridge in Australia. Total length 1,305 feet. Span over Brisbane River 600 feet. Indooroopilly pylon 87 feet high. The height of the Chelmer pylon with foundations is 187 feet. Opened for road traffic February 14th 1936. Designed and built by W. Taylor Esq. for Indooroopilly Toll Bridge Ltd. under Queensland Government franchise.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 08:49

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 08:49
Thanks Doug

As an interesting side issue

Gold Gold Gold

The article above also describes gold being found in the foundations of the bridge

Alan
AnswerID: 527511

Reply By: Nomad Navara - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 19:16

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 19:16
More great Australian history, Thanks again Doug.
AnswerID: 527534

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 20:05

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 20:05
i saw on television about a week or 2 back that you can now arrange to do a free tour inside the house of one of the pillars http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/whats-on/venue/walter-taylor-bridge-tours/index.htm
AnswerID: 527540

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 05:30

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 05:30
I checked your link, yes there is a tour , it would be interesting , thanks mate.

TOUR DETAILS

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 809967

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:02

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:02
Some more trivia.
In 2009 I was stuck in traffic near there. A man had lived in on of the towers for years and become obese to the tune of 300k.g. He simply couldn't leave because he didn't fit in the stairwell. The ambulance service shut the road down, and the fire brigade removed a set of windows so that the poor bugger could be craned out due to a medical emergency.
AnswerID: 527554

Sponsored Links