Travelling around Australia. HR Truck jobs for a beginner in WA ?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 18:24
ThreadID: 106508 Views:2885 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone. I'm currently in the Horsham area of Vic. Which is home. I'm taking off in early May this year to travel around Australia with no time limits heading to WA. I'm booked in to get my HR truck license soon. How will I go turning up in the Gascoyne or Pilbara area looking for work as a rookie HR truck driver ? I'm thinking about offering a 6 month commitment up front ? Or is ongoing casual work available ? I'm a butcher by trade and my last job was managing a busy butcher / deli in St kilda for 8 years. I'm a bit over being a butcher. Looking for new experiences. I have a 2000 Landcruiser 4.5 petrol/gas supercharged, locked & loaded, towing my 1967, 16ft Murumba star off road caravan that was fully renovated in 2009 ! Survived a trip up the Tanami to Kununurra and back last year with no problems. So I've had a taste of remote travel and living and liked it. Any suggestions or questions welcome. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 18:56

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 18:56
I am retired and I have an HR licence. These days I keep that quiet as it often leads to job offers and even pleas for work. With the skill set you describe you should be able to be a bit choosy about the work you seek. If I was in your position I would be looking to do a variety of different things and further improve knowledge and abilities. Good luck I expect you will have a ball.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527532

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 19:50

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 19:50
Lots of jobs for experienced drivers. Lots of people out and around WA, and the other northern states with HR and more senior qualifications willing to work.

Good luck but I don't see it happening. Not at that time of the year especially.
FollowupID: 809944

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:41

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:41
Thanks Idler Chris. I'm happy to apply for a variety of work. Just thought I'd ask about Truck driving as my first choice.
FollowupID: 809956

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 23:17

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 23:17
Mixed replies here looks like you will just have to go there and try your luck. You could try cattle stations and if all else fails go to retail. Be prepared to take any job (even butchering) to get to know people and make contacts, who knows what doors may open. Good luck.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809960

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 20:03

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 20:03
The biggest problem having a very green HR licence is getting the first job.....very few people want to employ a green driver...the more hours you have the better your chances are.

If you can get something, anything, driving ANY truck it improves your employability no end.

Some of the starter truck jobs are pretty horrid.

Have you thaught about meat transport or smallgoods.....before you head off.

You may be able to leverage your non truck experience and get some hours under your belt.

Up here in QLD what some blokes do is, do a UD licence course and go hauling cane...it don't pay all that well, and the trucks are bangers, but they have always been short because the blokes with hours bugger off up the mines.
If ya dont mind flogging an old inter arround a paddock all day..it can be a lot of fun.

BTW a UD licence is UnDescribed vehicle...basically a "WTF is that" licence....some of the vehicles that haul cane with..are....um...UnDescribable....it covers quite a variety of rural harvest equipment.

I don't know what the deal is in the south...but someone has to flog something arround the paddock chasing whatever harveser it is.

Of course there is always pumping $h!%%ers.....I know if I was despirate for a job, all I'd have to do is wait for the local, liquid waste company to advertise...most people don't do that work for long.

cheers
AnswerID: 527539

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:50

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:50
Thanks bantam. Lol. I'll drive anything that comes along. Even the waste trucks. Lol. I've done worse things to make a dollar. it's all part of my journey through life. And I love it ! Cheers.
FollowupID: 809958

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 23:54

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 23:54
If ya up for some traveling...why not come north for a season.

Mackay Cane Growers run courses March thru to May for the UD licence and trackside induction....from memory arround $500.
Cane harvest runs from April /May ish thru to November / December ish. Anywhere betweenmaryborough and tully.

There is also all manner of fruit picking up that way too.

Lots complaining that all the good workers have buggered off up the mines.

cheers

FollowupID: 809961

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 23:56

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 23:56
Oh the other thing that opens doors is a fork ticket.

cheers
FollowupID: 809962

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 00:07

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 00:07
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.
FollowupID: 809963

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 06:27

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 06:27
UD licences are no longer issued in Qld from the 1st of Jan 2014.

Quote. class UD is no longer issued to new applicants—specially constructed vehicles may be driven under the authority of a class C provisional, probationary or open licence
FollowupID: 809970

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 10:47

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 10:47
Well there you go.

Ya problaby need to do some sort of course for the trackside induction....
If you ring Mackay Cane Growers they will know the whole story.

cheers
FollowupID: 809982

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 15:42

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 15:42
Bantam,
Suger company, trackside, induction. ?????????
FollowupID: 809998

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 20:17

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 20:17
Gidday

I don't want to discourage you but just "turning up" in the Pilbara looking for any type of work is fraught with danger. There are lots of people working there but most are fly in-fly out types on mining projects and while there are local employers who employ local people accommodation is almost impossible to find for new arrivals.
There are hundreds of trucks a week heading north out of Perth to service the region but i would think most of the jobs are Perth based.
Don't let that put you off coming, the Pilbara is a magic place.

Cheers
AnswerID: 527541

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:37

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:37
Thanks Rocco. I thought Perth might be the main transport base. I'm happy to live in my caravan. Just turning up might not be the best idea.
FollowupID: 809955

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 00:58

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 00:58
Hi bob, as the others say. you will like the NW. Can I add, may be hard to get into mining, have heard a few stories of that. be prepared to build up experience doing any sort of truck to start: delivery ,containers, logistics, sheep/cattle, B double etc.. put your name in with HR employment agencies, take the "unwanted stuff" ie: working over Christmas, helps get you in. I was in Hedland about 6mths ago and have done several times visiting family- semi drivers were in demand for gen transport.
more tickets the better, agree with fork, do your 'dangerous goods' as well. will need white card, etc.. work may not come with accom- its hard to find and can be expensive. $300 a week for 1 room in Hedland. c/van parks often full. even with saying all the above negative stuff, still lots of development going on, especially in gas projects . I believe iron ore sites are slowing down currently.
look at alternates or duel skilling: dozer, grader, rigging, OHS, site safety/security, TA, paramedic etc....
funny you mentioning being a butcher- one in the NW is driving a fridge truck full of meats around the towns and doing very well.
wishing you the best.
mg.
AnswerID: 527550

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:11

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:11
Thanks Mike. I'm enrolled to get my forklift, white/blue card,front end loader,backhoe, skid steer, load restraint,fatiuge management, HR truck over the next 8 weeks. Then I'll take off.
FollowupID: 809977

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 02:57

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 02:57
Bob,

Before you leave Vic, I'd be ringing someone like Toll, and seeing if there's any positions available at any of their freight depots. Lots of fork work, right up to 16 tonners or bigger, and plenty of chance for rigid work(local deliveries), as well as some "in yard" articulated activities. Shifting trailers, breaking up and making road trains, and loading and unloading these as well.

This is just what I see going on at the Toll depots at Mt Isa and Cloncurry, and would imagine depots in other centres are the same. There seems to be a bit of staff turnover, but think it's mainly the younger staff who haven't developed a work ethic. Have seen a couple of young blokes get their MC licenses easily, after spending a year or two, doing this freight depot work. Once you get that you can join the realm of the sleep deprived :-))

Also, in a place like the Isa, you could even get a bit of casual butcher work........that's if you wanted it :-))

Someone mentioned station work for HR, but there might be a lot of other work mixed in with only a little truck driving.

Good luck, you don't know if you don't try it,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 527551

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:18

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:18
Thanks Bob Y. Excactly what I think ! I'm not limiting myself to trucks, I'll take what comes along, even if it means still butchering, but I'll certainly be trying for different jobs. Cheers
FollowupID: 809978

Reply By: SDG - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 16:53

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 16:53
I would also make the suggestion of getting your license in a manual. Truck companies are apparently having trouble finding drivers who can drive a manual.
AnswerID: 527579

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 18:50

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 18:50
Thanks SDG.
FollowupID: 810012

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 18:31

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 18:31
Bob,
You'll most likely have more trouble finding affordable accommodation than finding work.
Dragging the van is a clever move, but expect pricey caravan park fees as you get closer to the larger mining areas. Also consider fitting A/C to the van - plan to be in the van for a while.
Even though some of the regional mining work has dropped of a bit in the past 12 months. For the past decade if you have your own accommodation in a remote town, you'll find work easier. Employers simply don't have to provide accommodation for you.
Beware - many towns have lengthy wait lists for permanent caravan sites.
I've met many people who have done the same as you and not looked back.
Enjoy

AnswerID: 527583

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 18:54

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 18:54
Thanks. I appreciate it.
FollowupID: 810013

Reply By: Member - Munji - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 15:51

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 15:51
Bob W5

Follow through with your plan my friend and take a punt on it. I know of many that have turned up and had a go over the years, successfully. The non resident people to Ozz do it by the droves.
At least you will get to see the Pilbara, a great experience to say the least.
Get your fork ticket and HR licence before you leave home is the go.

Munji
AnswerID: 527635

Follow Up By: Bob W5 - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 18:15

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 18:15
Thanks Munji.
FollowupID: 810079

Sponsored Links