Challengers/Tritons?????

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 17:21
ThreadID: 10652 Views:2234 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Interested in hearing from people who have either bought a challenger and test drove a triton or vice versa. Why they went for the choice they did and the differnence in the two (apart that ones a ute and the suspension).

Guy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:25

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:25
I bought a 98 challenger 6 months ago and am very happy with it. Mate had a similar vintage triton till his housemate rolled it. Basically the same vehicle except as you know one is a wagon and one is a ute. The 98 to 2000 challenger has the same rear leaf spring suspension as the triton, I bit softer though I think. I went for the challenger cause I wanted the security of the wagon, I surf and I wanted to be able to leave boards etc in the back of the car at the beach. You get the back seats as well which is handy for taking your mates. I had no real use for a ute but they are cheaper. I think the choice is a question of functionality rather than any difference between the vehicles. What do you want to do with it?
AnswerID: 47435

Reply By: da_wart - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 01:03

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 01:03
We own a 2000 Triton GLS manual and the inlaws own a 2002 Challenger auto.
I agree with Cookie 'functionality'.
The go gear on the two is much the same, but the Challenger wins the starts (auto),Triton box aint for racin'.
The Challenger has a better passenger ride on the tarmac.
The Triton appears to have more travel, check the ramp angles, may just be the stiffer Challenger suspension.
The only thing wrong with them is tyres. The H/T's the sell them with are scared of sticks or stones and allergic to mud.

Bridgestone A/T D693
Yokohama SD05
Kumho Venture AT
Goodyear Wrangler ATR
Cooper Discoverer A/T
Dunlop GrandtrekAT2
Toyo Open Country A/T

Mitsubishi wont back down on the 110S rating.

AnswerID: 47559

Reply By: Murfa - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:11

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:11
Hey there,
I own a September 2002 Challenger, and am extremely happy with the performance. I think you will find the 2000 onward challengers with the all coil suspention have a better ramp over angle then the tritons. I personally chose the challenger over the triton, hilux, etc because I prefer the full wagon vehicle then the ute style. My best mate has just brought a December 2003 challenger, picked it up 3 days ago because he loved mine. Both of ours are manual, and the 3ltre petrol will keep up with any model of about the same size, and will go 98% of the places a patrol, toyota can go. I can say that, because you name the condition, I've taken my challenger there. The factory yokahama tyre are ordinary, but I have changed to Cooper St's and the difference is unblievable, especially in the mud. The fuel economy is great to. I live in Brisbane if your interested in having a closer look. By the way the accessories for the challenger are growing, I have recently fitted a rear arb air locker, TJm suspention to get 50mm more lift, and cargo barrier. next a snorkel...larger fuel tank, rear wheel carrier.....the list goes on.....
AnswerID: 48296

Follow Up By: Camper - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 21:55

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 21:55
Hi Murfa
I am thinking of fitting yokohama Go11a/t+ll to my Challenger. Were you suggesting that all yokohamas were ordinary or the original equipt which I think are ht's?

Cheers Camper
FollowupID: 311651

Follow Up By: Murfa - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 22:43

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 22:43
Sorry it has taken a while to get back, not all yokohamas are ordinary, just the standard road rubber they put on the challengers at the factory. I habe cooper s/t's fitted now, great little all round tyre, and 80,000km warranty......... great grip while away but still very good on the black top, and not to noisy at all.
FollowupID: 312259

Sponsored Links