Exhaust brakes

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 17:41
ThreadID: 10654 Views:1927 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I will keep this short, I know they will turn the power off in WA soon.

Has anyone fitted Exhaust brakes to a tubo diesel. I know they can be purchased new but I was looking at something from the wreckers.

WayneAlways Out'N About
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 19:37

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 19:37
I'll keep it short also.
No personal experience but the feedback I've received is they're poisonously expensive for what you really achieve .... besides you can't actually use them in towns to show off can you?

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 47355

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 21:29

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 21:29
yea $1100-1400 and only available in one exhaust size... 2inch.. if you mean the ones in Toyota mthly ads...
FollowupID: 309342

Reply By: Big Trev - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 07:07

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 07:07
Being a former(?) truckie, I ask "why" would you want to fit any sort of engine retatrder to a 4X4. In low range, in low gear descending a hill you get an awful lot of engine retardation. In my mind there is absolutely no logical reason for fitting a engine retatrder (exhaust brake) to a 4X4. Sorry for being so blunt, but it just doesn't make sense. I've 4X4ing since the late eighties and I haven't seen a hill yet that would require more retardation than 1st gear, low range would give.
AnswerID: 47413

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 08:14

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 08:14
Big Trev,
It was just a idea,so I put it to the forum to get feed back. I was not so much looking at low range stuff but normal hi way driving. Living at the foot of the mountians (Penrith NSW), I thought it might help .

WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 309392

Follow Up By: bigboy - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 15:19

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 15:19
i have been thinking of fitting on to my cruiser ...
1 st gear low is good but what about the time it takes to get there...
i would rather use an ex break than heat up my breaks ......
so when i go to use them they still work...
(but for all them in the city ... might not under stand )
(it's a big boys touqe you might not under stand )

this letter was ment to up set any people .
but was writern to explane the way it is out here ......
in the bush it is all different .....

FollowupID: 309537

Follow Up By: bigboy - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 15:22

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 15:22
sory i left out a word..

not..

this letter was (not ) ment to up set ...etc....
FollowupID: 309539

Reply By: Roachie - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:27

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:27
Wayne,
I've thought about it too from time to time. I remember many years ago (around 1994) one of the magazines did a review on the one available from northern qld (around $1100- I think). They said it was very good when tested going down a long winding hill (like many on the eastern side of the Great Divide, from Atherton to Dandenong) and saved the driver of a 4x4 with a heavy horse float or van from having to use the foot brake as much.
I have a turbo 4.2 Patrol with 3" exhaust....not sure what the back pressure would do to the turbo housing etc. ...I would imagine there would be a fair bit of additional pressure which may cause problems. Might pay to phone the mob in qld, ask them if they have satisfied customers who could give a testimonial (but watch out they could be stool-pigeons!!!???).
My thoughts have been centered around getting one off a wrecked light tipper or similar.
A mate of mine said the Patrols (GQ) they used in underground mines at Broken Hill used to have exhaust brakes fitted....he has a mate who bought one cheap and the only thing that wasn't totally stuffed was the brake...
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47424

Follow Up By: mijochka - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 14:29

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 14:29
I made some enquiries on this subject re my 4.0l turbo HJ61 for towing a 3.0t van. Spoke to a Brisbane Co called Torquepower who do this type of stuff on trucks.They felt it could be done but sounded warning bells re the engine mods which would be needed and the lack of data available re things like exhaust valve spring upgrade among other things.Best guess was about $5000. Also checked out Frenelsa retarder,but cost involved was around $15,000. Pay for a lot of brake linings,ay?
Mick
FollowupID: 309432

Reply By: Big Trev - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:21

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:21
I think it is important to remember the primary reason for using an engine retatrder is to HELP maintain a constant speed while descending a hill. BTW I live in country Victoria, not a capitial city!! So I know the bush.

I have been a heavy vehicle driver trainer since 1987. Working with many national and international tranport companies, so the information I give is well tested. The information I will give below I will relate to 4 wheel drives, not trucks.

1. The important part of descending any hill is to have the correct gear selected before you go down, it is always best to have a lower gear than necessary if you ar unsure on the steepness of a hill.

2. It is always best to go down a hill without using brakes, but we all know this is not always possible.

3. For those times when it is not possible to go down a hill without using the brakes and when you have an engine retarder turned on (in 2 wheel drive) you are slowing down your drive wheels (normally rear), if you put your foot on the brake you have all wheels working as brakes, in normal terms this means 2 wheels (with engine reatrder), versus 4 wheels or more with a horse float (that would be required to have brakes on, either electric or hydraulic over cable) with your foot on the brake.

4. There has been extensive testing about which is the best way to use brakes when going down a hill, one thought was slow steady pressure all the way down the hill is the best method, and this was taught to truckies for years, but the general consensus these days is the let the revs SLOWLY(see note below) build to engine governed speed (remember it is only at high reves that you get the best engine restrdation) and then gently apply brake pressure till the revs drop down fairly low, then let the revs build a again (remember what I said in my first post, that when 4X4ing I yet to come across a hill that 1st gear low range won't cope with (although I am sure there are some), but generally there aren't too many.

NOTE: If you have a very low gear slected then the revs WILL build slowly, if you are in a too high a gear, then the revs will build fast. Most people (particularly in urban driving) want to go down hills FAST, not SAFELY.

5. Engine retarders were designed for heavy vehicles, but some manufacturers have modified the idea for 4X4s.

6. If you see truckies using engine reatrders on flat ground they are doing it for show, not for practicality. They will get some retardation, but not as much if they put their foot on the brake (2 axles with retarder, versus 6 axles with foot on the brake.)

Wayne if you drive in hilly terrain all the tim, might I suggest that if you go down a hill in 3rd and you have use the brakes too much, then go down the hill in 2nd with the revs up high, I am sure you will be surprised at the results, in fact keep an eye on your speedo in both circumstances and you will probably see not much difference in road speed.

Good Luck.

AnswerID: 47676

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:42

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:42
Big Trev,

Thankyou for your detail answer.I will keep the exhaust brakes as a bad idea and not worry about them. Just one point about the exhaust brakes only slowing the drive wheels when applied. I have a constant 4wd, there fore I would think all four wheels would would be slowed. The cost and trouble of trying to fit exhaust brakes is not worth it, I will just hone my braking skills when driving down hills.

Wayne Always Out'N About
FollowupID: 309655

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:10

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:10
Actually Wayne, I hadn't considered all wheel drive when writing my response, but yes it is easier and cheaper to just drive to the conditions.
People always want to go somewhere faster, not safer.
FollowupID: 309659

Sponsored Links