Can you tow a 5 metre boat to Cape York

I'm planning a possible trip to the cape, if possible we will take 2 cars a hilux and a cruiser, both towing a 5 metre boat with camping gear for 4 pax and a 2 week stay plus travel time to and from Cairns.

Simply is this possible, is there a boat ramp or do you retrieve on and off the beach ??

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Woody - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 19:30

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 19:30
Hi Phil,

If you are talking about staying around the Seisia area then there are no problems with launching your 5 metre boats as there is an easy ramp right beside the main jetty.

If you are staying at Loyalty Beach just to the North of Seisia there is a beach access type of ramp that you could get your boats in and out of the water but only on high tide as it is shallow and dries out as the tide goes down.

For most other parts of the cape except for developed areas like Weipa, Lockhart River etc you will be limited to launching straight off the beach so be careful and take some precautions such as carrying maxtrax or even extendable drawbars can be good solutions to launching in flat areas where there are big tides.

My next trip up the cape will also be with a 5 metre boat as it is big enough to get out into the Torres Strait safely but not too big to be pain on the miles of corrugations getting it up there. Deeper sides compared to some of the 3.5m boats I see getting around up there are the best deterrent for crocs too.

You will have a ball.

Brett
AnswerID: 527649

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 19:58

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 19:58
G'day Phil,

Make sure that the trailers are up to the task! The corrugations are tough on gear and when you load those boats with everything imaginable it will be heavier than normal. These extra weights can make the suspension work much harder than normal.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 527652

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 20:15

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 20:15
Yeh we are sorted in regards to the trailers we have done many of dirt road trips with the boats, we have all the gear to fix them and we are very experienced on dirt road towing of the boats, we thought the Cape road might be one to far but it seams with care it is possible.

The other thing is we will take our time and we have plenty of that.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 810088

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 21:06

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 21:06
You can put a boat in at Jacky Jacky Cr and get out to the Escape River. Need a long tow rope to get it out at low tide though.

The ramp is out past the Air Port.
AnswerID: 527655

Reply By: Member - Jaap (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 17:23

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 17:23
Should be no problems if you used the development road

Keep a sharp lookout for the green snappers there getting quite dangerous

There was a resident croc at the Sesia boat ramp not so long ago
AnswerID: 527710

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 21:09

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 21:09
Its probably worth doing some research on crocodile aware launcing methods.

I live in the south so its not an issue for me most of the time.

I've been fishing with my brother he (lives in the north) a few times and he habitually uses crocodile aware launcing methods, regardless of the threat.
So that when he is in a situation that definitely requires it...he has his routine worked out and does it habitually.

Things like
always keeping the boat between you and open water.
His is a fairly small boat so if he can he gets in and out over the bow.
Always having a very good look arround first.
And of course be on the ramp as short as possible

Cheers
FollowupID: 810145

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:59

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:59
A lot of our fishing trips are up north, so we have had a fair bit to do with those big lizards.

We have done the Kimberly coast Arnhemland both sides we have even been out to shady camp, we just thought a trip to the cape this time and none of us have been that way, so thought we would ask here.
FollowupID: 810168

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 20:58
Lots of camper trailers are coming out with shocks these days to help them cope better off road it might even be worth considering them so they absorb some of the punishment instead of the boat and trailer copping the lot. Only down fall to shocks could be when you dunk them in salt water but a good wash would probably help.
AnswerID: 527730

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 23:08

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 23:08
We did think about shockers once but decided against it, we let the tyres do most of the work and travel at very low speed, we are happy to do 200 ks in 4 hours if we have to, we haven't broken any thing yet, we do however have spare hub bearings axles springs etc.

As I said above we thought the cape might have been a trip to far, but it now look like a go thanks to the advice above.

We work pretty well as a team all round so we enjoy these trips away both our boats are near new and the trailers are pretty solid without being to rigid, so we will plan this trip soon for sure.

Phil.
FollowupID: 810173

Sponsored Links