Ponton Creek and Lake Boonderoo

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 20:40
ThreadID: 106545 Views:2898 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I went for a 5 day trip Perth to Perth via Ponton Creek and Lake Boonderoo.
Member Phil B and his nephew Peter came with me. I had my ute and the quad, Phil had his 100 series.

The plan was for me to ride my quad bike from where the Ponton crosses the Transline, all the way to Lake Boonderoo with Phil and Peter to meet me along the way at selected track junctions.

When we got to the start point it was suggested that we all try to drive down the creek together so this is what we did.

The creek was fairly easily traversed at first, with many parts of the creek having sand only. Later though, it became harder due to the amount of vegetation growing in the creek.

I would take the lead and guide the others through the creek.

We came across only one point where there was any water. There was a ridge of rock crossing the creek at right angles causing a pool of water, almost dry in the creek. Downstream of this point it was fairly muddy for a few hundred meters.

Where one track crossed the creek there was an old tractor 100 metres from the track, which looked like it had been through one or two floodings.

There was an old track found on the second day running parallel to the creek. This was not a well used track. Towards the end of the second day we almost exclusively used this track, even for me on the quad I found it necessary. It was far to slow going in the creek.

We came across a type of fungii (we think), one that we none of us have seen before. There were a number of examples in an area of a few hundred square meters. Out of this immediate area no further examples were seen.

In the creek there were many examples of dead trees. These would have drowned in perhaps the last flood in 1995.

Nearing the lake we deviated from the creek, instead choosing to utilise tracks to take us to the lake.

We visited the western side of the lake however saw no water and we camped south of the lake.

We reached what water there was from the eastern side, no without a bit of trouble (ask Phil).

There was what appeared to be crystalline structures around the shoreline. It seems that crystals build up over anything that is there, such as fallen trees.

It was great to visit this lake as it has only filled twice in recorded history. It would be a wonderful spectacle to see it in flood.

The whole area appears to be in a natural basin, you can see the high water mark in the following pictures taken from the high eastern ridge.

Permission is required from the pastoralist to visit this lake.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 09:26

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 09:26
Having been to the lake after the 95 flood your trip would have been fascinating.
AnswerID: 527681

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:01

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:01
Hi Rod, it was very interesting to see the amount of regrowth in the creek - would have been great to see the creek flow and the lake full.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810149

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 09:33

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 09:33
Thanks Alan (and Massie) for organising a terrific trip; it was most enjoyable and what a great feeling to get thru all the way and upon arrival at the lake to find it had some water in it.

A few of things that struck me about the trip were the strange salt crystals, the really strange fungi and the huge size of some of the gum trees.

All the best and thanks again.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527684

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 13:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 13:58
Hi Alan.

Fantastic record, many thanks. Just loved the pic of Massie navigating you up the ridge. What a good little doggie...

Cheers.
AnswerID: 527697

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:09

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:09
Hi JB, she loves it out there and let's us all know it too!!!!

She going to the vet tomorrow though as something is wrong with her. She had lost all energy and had pulled a good few square inches of her fur out to bare skin near the base of her tail. Vet said on the phone it is either fleas, which I doubt as I can't see any, shes constipated, which may be true as she hasn't been actively toileting, or its an allergic reaction to something.

She'll be Ok I hope.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810151

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 23:01

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 23:01
Best wishes for Massie Al - nothing more worrying than sick pets that can't tell you what's wrong with them.

We've referred your pic to the WA Nats Club which has previously run fungi projects.Perth Fungi Project

Cheers.
FollowupID: 810169

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 15:18

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 15:18
Great pics Alan. Interesting fungus - might be some kind of puffball. Good site here with lots of pics of Australian fungi.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 527702

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 21:59

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 21:59
Thanks Val,

I had a look at that site and came up empty.

A look through Google came up with "Calvatia sculpta" which is the closest resemblance, though doesn't seem to be found in Australia.

Another pic:

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810148

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:07

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:07
Hi Alan,

Its not impossible that its something previously unrecorded. Worth sending a photo to the ANBG - here.
I spent a few days on Batten Hill a few years back working with a lady from Edith Cowan Uni who was collecting desert fungi - but the ones we found, mainly puffballs were tiny, about the size of a pea. Interesting though.

Cheers,

Val

PS Could you put your find up in the wildflowers section? please!
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810150

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 17:44

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 17:44
Less water than my visit I kayaced round the lake.
Prev1974 maps dont even have the tiny claypan named.
In 1974"it was estimated the trees drowned were over 200;years old.
It was speculated land degradation from pastrolists now causes more run off into ponton creek. Hence the filling of the lake twice in 20 years when there was no evidence of it ever occuring before
AnswerID: 527713

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:27

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 22:27
The claypan before the lake was named in 1977 was recorded as Yandallah by HWB Talbot in 1919.

Boonderoo itself is derived from the Tjeraridjal dialect, meaning "Stoney Country"

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810160

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 18:32

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 18:32
Great photos Al.
Love the one of Massie looking over your shoulder on the back of the quad with her ears straight up.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527715

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 16:19

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 16:19
couple of scanned pics from 2004
Ponton creek

Lake Boonderoo

AnswerID: 527767

Sponsored Links