3 way fridge

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 08:13
ThreadID: 106552 Views:1834 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

i am new to caravanning and just bought an A Van Aliner (approx 10 years old).

I was running the fridge on gas and noticed a burning plastic smell on the outside upper vent at the rear of the van. I removed the vent and noticed a vertical steel pipe which blows hot air into the rear of the vent which obviously causes the plastic to smell. There is no visible signs of burning however anywhere. I am not sure if this pipe is a standard design or a modification by a past owner. The pipe is too hot to touch. It was the same running the fridge on 240v also.

Is this normal on an AVan??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 08:48

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 08:48
Hi William,
That pipe getting too hot to touch is very normal. It happens on all 3 way fridges no matter if they are on gas, 240 or 12 volt. It occurs because the selected fuel source has to create heat to make the fridge work. on electricity they use elements to do this so a lot of heat is to be expected.

The burning smell is not normal though. Check to see that the flue pipe is not pushing against anything. They sometimes come in contact with the outside vent and that is normal I think. Check for melted plastic. Something may have dropped down inside the flue pipe.

the outside top vent has a hole in it to accommodate the flue pipe and then has a removable cover which clips into the outside of the vent to hide the flue pipe from view.

Pulling the fridge out to get at the flue is not a major task but is a little complicated.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527677

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 09:31

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 09:31
As above, also there should be a metal plate around the flue where it passes through the plastic vent.
AnswerID: 527683

Sponsored Links