landcruiser 76 series GXL wagon - best towbar/winch bar

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 18:57
ThreadID: 106580 Views:5856 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I'm looking for advice on towbar/carriers and Winch bars for the current 76 series GXL wagon. Kaymar seem like the rear bar to choose. TJM for the front.
Its a long time since I built my own for the soon to be retired L3004wd wagon

any comments welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 99problems - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 20:48

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 20:48
Kaymar rear bar, far ahead quality wise of anything else, note you do pay for it though. 80k on my 76, no issues.

I chose the ARB bar over the TJM, purely on looks.
AnswerID: 527787

Reply By: Bludge - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 22:39

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 22:39
Other choices or options could be Opposite Lock Carriers or for Bull Bars, Premium or post bars are under $1400 I believe that Outback Accessories in WA build them for OL

AnswerID: 527791

Reply By: Member - Steve Fourbyfour - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 11:09

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 11:09
I'd go ARB anytime for quality if price isn't the driver (get what you pay for etc blah blah) but...... for me;

No contest on the front bar, the ARB deluxe won me over (direct from Nissan so ARB gave big discount on retail)
Rear bar - despite the supposed quality difference, I couldn't justify the price extra for Kaymar over the Powerful 4x4 bar. I admit it did take a lot of adjustment (catches, hinge bearings, bumper pads) to get it right, but haven't had a problem in 18 months with two 17in rims carrying Cooper ST Maxx

Cheers
AnswerID: 527818

Follow Up By: grey yesmad - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 11:22

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 11:22
I considered the Kaymar tow bar because I think I can buy the bare towbar (my priority) and add the wheel carrier/ jerry can holder if and when required for trips and subject to clearances when my modified Jayco swan is attached. I currently carry my spare on my bulbar when the Jayco van is on the back.
Currently towing with L3004x4 (with 2.6 Astron2) so tyre on front is not a problem
FollowupID: 810272

Reply By: Ken Rd - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 17:24

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 17:24
I have an identical vehicle [2011], ARB suspension/shocks, ARB Bar, Warne winch, 2 inch lift, side bars, Toyota lockers, BFG mud terrains, 170l Long Range tank and it has proven absolutely bullet proof.

No rear bar, decided not to add the weight. Fully loaded up the Canning including three spare tyres, none of which we needed, it simply did not miss a beat, returned 17 l per 100km and, with 22 psi, cruised up the dunes and across the corrugations where other were bouncing all over the place. Total ARB fan

Equally competent in the High Country so you are starting with the right truck

Eastern 4wd in Berwick did the work and best advice was working out how stiff the rear should be - bit harsh round town but brilliant in the bush fully loaded

Rob
AnswerID: 527851

Follow Up By: grey yesmad - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 22:00

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 22:00
hi did you get the suspension upgrade for extra clearance or to compensate for the extra weight on the front. I am hoping to avoid a suspension as I will mainly tow a old Jayco Swan (7o's era) or a trailer. Only need to cater for two people

regards
FollowupID: 810322

Reply By: Nev (TAS) - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 21:34

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 21:34
Hi Grey Yesmad,
I have a Kaymar full rear bar with dual carriers. HOWEVER there is a problem that extremely concerns me that I did not consider at the time I had it done. The bar I have also incorporates a towbar... AND IT IS NOT RATED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rang Kaymar and they did confirm that at that time (mid 2013) that the rear bar and towbar was NOT officially load rated. As I pull a 3 ton van I am really worried about how the insurance companies could look at this.
I am now trying to decide if it is worth the hassle of replacing the rear bar set up with my original rated Toyota towbar and use another rear bar maker for the wheel carriers. I am considering Raslarr Engineering a Melbourne company as my most probable source. The only big hurdle now is the cost having spent a load of dollars on my Kaymar set up.
Based on this scenario though I have seen lots of Kaymar set ups doing similar job to mine without any problems so in reality they probably do carry the weight effectively, but is it legal? After two trips from Tassie to WA return over the last two years I have had mine checked each year and no apparent cracks or weld weaknesses so far.
Maybe Kaymar have rated their rear bars now, I certainly hope so and will be contacting them over next couple of weeks to find out.

Nev
AnswerID: 527873

Follow Up By: Nev (TAS) - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 22:21

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 22:21
Good news, just checked the Kaymar site and see that the rear bar towbar is rated at 3500 for the Toyota IFS 100 series as I have. Great news for me so I will check and see if my bar is also certified and get the sticker from them. They seem to have rated a lot of their bars now which is good news for lots of fellow vanners.

Nev
FollowupID: 810325

Reply By: grey yesmad - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 21:56

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 21:56
Hi I spoke to a local 4wd access. shop and they did say that it is easier and cheaper to get a normal tow bar certified/rated and implied that is the reason for the higher cost of the Kaymar bar if they are now rated?
I will probably go with the H/R towbar and wiring harness only as extra fuel/highlift jack carrier etc are not a priority. Clearance to my van is also an issue and the OE door mount gives more? clearance.If I do any remote trip I will investigate the separate replacement rear bumper with tyre/jerry can holder that are currently available.

regards
AnswerID: 527875

Sponsored Links