Aux battery for 100 Series T/D

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 20:18
ThreadID: 10659 Views:2289 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering what auxillary battery options people who have 100 series T/D have used.

One option getting around is splitting the two standard cranker batterys, replacing one of them with an upgraded cranker, and replacing the other with something like and Exide Extreme. This has warranty implications I am sure!

The other the installation of a smaller 3rd Aux battery installed where the fuel filter is currently.

Hoping for advice, feedback.

Johhny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul T- Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 20:50

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 20:50
Johnny

I have the third battery option, installed by Guests in Melbourne. They had to move the fuel filter to do it, but it is a good job, it looks factory fitted.

Cheers

PT
AnswerID: 47364

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 22:31

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 22:31
I'm currently testing a dual battery setup that may be ideal for the T/D 100.
I've fitted 2 x 115 amp hour Trojan deep cycle batteries in parralell. I never isolate them but with a total of 230 amp hour I have run a fridge & 2 fluro lights (3 hours per night) for 4 days camped in the one location and still had enough power to start the car. A low voltage disconnect switch set at around 11.7 volts ensures enough power is left and avoids battery damage due to complete discharge.
All the experts told me I'd have trouble starting the car using only deep cycle but in reality it's the opposite. It's never cranked over faster. Being able to camp 4 days in one spot without a $500 generator ,a $1000 solar panel or a $350 battery isolator system makes it relitivly cheap to set up too.
As I said at the start this is a trial system (installed 1 & 1/2 years) so in 4 years time if it passes the longivety test I'll let you know. Craig............
AnswerID: 47393

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:57

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:57
Johnny_100 you'll have to help me out here.

Doesn't the TD 100 had an auxillary battery?

Reason I ask is I am currently looking at purchasing a new 100 series and was put off by the fact that V8 doesn't have 2nd battery so was looking at TD.Live the life you love -
Love the life you live !!!
AnswerID: 47422

Follow Up By: Johnny_100 - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:13

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:13
Coops,

the 100 T/D is designed to have 2 cranking batteries. Toyota have done this to allow the T/D engine to be cranked in -20c temps.

So the options for an Aux battery on these guys is to either split the two original crankers, and replace one of them with a larger single cranker and replace the second with an Aux batt using an isolator. My fear here is that the Toyota warrnaty will be void.

The other option, which seems more popular is to add a third battery as the Aux, leave the factory crankers, but this requires the fuel filter to be moved, don't think this is to big a drama.

Looking for feedback from owners.

Regards,
Johnny
FollowupID: 309405

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:02

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:02
Own a TDI 100. Yes you can fit a third battery but it is only a N50 size. It is much easier to split the two cranking batteries. I initally just split them using a ARB smart solenoid. I found as winter came the vehicle was having trouble cranking off one little battery, changed both to exide extreme batteries (N70ZX 80amp/h) and no more worries.

The only reason the diesel has two batteries is for extra cranking amps in extremely cold conditions, not just zero but below minus 10 degrees etc. Here in Australia you will probably find you diesel won't start at sub zero unless you have special winter diesel. In outback Queensland they call it the 10 O'Clock Toyotas as in winter you ute or wagon will not start until the temperature rises, no winter diesel!
AnswerID: 47499

Sponsored Links